BEHRINGER EP2500 - Adding in to current system - couple quick questions

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
Hello All - I am a new member here but have been lurking on this site off and on for several months and finally decided to register after taking the leap and purchasing an EP2500 last night to integrate into my current AV system. I would also like to thank all of you for the great info around the Behringer line of amps as the performance to price ratio seemed to good to be true until I read all of the info posted here on these forums which gave me the confidence to make the purchase.

Anyway here are my questions:

1) I am going to mount the EP2500 (along with a Furman power conditioner and an ART Cleanbox) on the BACKSIDE of the wall that my 50" Panasonic plasma and current glass audio shelving system consisting of a Yamaha rx-v665, PS3, HD Direct TV box and Yam cd changer are mounted for easy access. Because the EP2500 weighs 40 pounds and my glass shelving system is already kind of tight I want to hide the new amp out of sight. This leads to my question....is it ok to leave the EP2500 on and powered 24/7? I believe the fan runs in this unit constantly and I am just in the habit of turning my gear off when it is not in use. My concern is not any addt'l electricity charges from the power company, I just want to know if leaving the amp permanently "ON" is ok??

2) I am initially going to use the amp in 8ohm stereo operation (450x2) to run my front L+R speakers (Klipsch kg5.5 - dual 10" woofers and horn each cabinet). I already have dual Dayton 15" DVC subs each powered by their own Dayton plate amps.....since the subs are handling the bottom end would it be a wise choice to use the 50hz cut off filter switches on the back side of the EP2500? I should also say I realize this amp is total overkill to drive a pair of high sensitivity Klipsch towers but my love of amps could not resist the mega wattage of the EP2500 and I may reconfigure the system at a later date and let the EP2500 power the subs instead.

That's it for now - thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer me to best intergrate the EP2500 into my system.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it has a 12v trigger or signal sense auto on/off, you won't have to worry about leaving it on.

If your x-over is higher, then I don't see why using the 50Hz cutoff would be a problem; in fact it likely won't help or hurt.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Behringer amps don't have a 12volt trigger. You'll either have to leave it on all the time, rig up a trigger or get a power center that has a switched "on" feature. My Belkin does this and that's precisely why I bought it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I suggest you get a Behringer Feedback destroyer and a Behringer CX2310.

using those two devices you'll be able to eq your LR channels and subs.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I would get the Samson s-convert instead of the Art so if you ever use the amp for the sub you won't have to mod the samson like you would the Art. Of course you don't have to mod the Art either but it is recomended you do.

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
I would get the Samson s-convert instead of the Art so if you ever use the amp for the sub you won't have to mod the samson like you would the Art. Of course you don't have to mod the Art either but it is recomended you do.
Thanks for the suggestion but I already placed the order for the EP2500 and the Cleanbox from B&H photo last night. If I like the EP2500 I may just buy a second EP2500 and will buy the Samson s-convert to use with the subs instead of a 2nd Cleanbox. I was not aware that the Cleanbox would need to be modded for sub use - I will try a "search" to get more info on that - thanks.

This is my first time with pro audio gear so using Line Levelers and XLR cables etc is a whole new ballgame for me although this forum has really brought me up to speed quickly.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I must say that I would suggest a 12v trigger approach if possible. This is my regret with my current amp situation.

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
Think I found 12v trigger solution....

First off thanks to all who replied to this post, your responses have been very helpful.

I have added the EP2500 and ART Cleanbox into my home system (absolutely amazing upgrade and worth every cent I might add) and currently am just leaving the amp running 24/7. The fan is a bit noisy but the amp is hidden behind the wall of the stereo so the additional noise is not an issue.

I ended up ordering a "Smart Strip" surge protector/12v trigger off Amazon for $30. Basically I am just going to plug my Yamaha receiver into the hot "dedicated" outlet and will run the Cleanbox and EP2500 on the switched outlets so that the amp only runs when the Yamaha receiver is switched on. This seems like the best/easiest solution to get around the EP2500's lack of built in 12v trigger.

On a side note I also found that several of the dimmer light switches in my AV room which were installed on the same circuit that the Behringer and Dayton sub amps were plugged into were wreaking havoc by introducing lots of added background "hum" and generally annoying noise which was beyond irritating.

Initially I feared the Behringer was just noisy but after doing more research on this forum I switched the outlet that ran the EP (and the other amps) to a different circuit/outlet box and instantly the noise disappeared.

Again thanks to all here who have provided responses to my questions. I could not be happier with the amp upgrade as the EP has taken my system to a completely different level of performance in terms of headroom and sound quality.
I am running Klipsch kg5.5's and I even found that switching the Klipsch over to the Behringer took the "edge" off the horns on the Klipsch. I have always loved the big sound and design philosphy of Klipsch speakers (dating back to 15 yrs ago when I first heard a pair of Cornwalls running through a 475w x 2 Carver pre-amp/power amp combo but found that when using the amps in most of the Yamaha receivers I have owned through the years that the horns could have an "edge" that was magnified as volume increased.
This latest Yam rx-v665 has probably the worst of all built in amplifier sections and the problem with the horns seemed magnified by this receiver more than my previous Yamahas. I don't know if through the years Yamaha has begun to skimp on their mid line amps in their receivers or if it is just isolated to the rx-v665 I own. I still have a Yamaha receiver I purchased in '95 (for about $1k at the time, the model # escapes me right now) that is far superior to the amp in this new 2009 model receiver.

I am grateful to have found all the info about the EP2500 here as it is one of the most incredible values in stereo equip at any price and without this forum I would never have discovered this beast of an amp!

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Nice to see you got things going great. I run all pro amps for my entire system and they are a great value.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis