Behringer A500 + Home Theater A/V Receiver

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Hi - A quick question: I see many here Oh great audiophiles who have a Behringer A 500 along with a home theater receiver. I saw the product but pray forgive my ignorance can't understand why required. The receiver's pumping at 5 to 7 channels whereas the A500 has only 2. So - why are folks using it? What's the installation strategy?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi - A quick question: I see many here Oh great audiophiles who have a Behringer A 500 along with a home theater receiver. I saw the product but pray forgive my ignorance can't understand why required. The receiver's pumping at 5 to 7 channels whereas the A500 has only 2. So - why are folks using it? What's the installation strategy?
It reduces the load on the reciever, but the real reason I got it is to run my subwoofer which isn't quite done yet.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
To help the OP: I'll summarize the thread.

At first the A500 tested exceptionally well, but a few weeks down the road audible distortion was detected at the 3khz frequency which is in the middle of the ever important speech discrimination band. Based on the possibility of this defect i'd suggest another amp for fullrange signals. I believe the A500 would work fine for the bottom part of a 3-way or even a low power sub. I can't suggest it for a normal speaker.

jinjuku

jinjuku

To help the OP: I'll summarize the thread.

At first the A500 tested exceptionally well, but a few weeks down the road audible distortion was detected at the 3khz frequency which is in the middle of the ever important speech discrimination band. Based on the possibility of this defect i'd suggest another amp for fullrange signals. I believe the A500 would work fine for the bottom part of a 3-way or even a low power sub. I can't suggest it for a normal speaker.
Is this with that A500 in particular or is this documented elsewhere on other threads. So far my A500 has been clean

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've had four A500's ... bought in two batches.

1st one was great and clean.

2nd-4th ones had the buzz.

i'd recommend the Behringer EP2500 with the fan mod though, unlimited power :) (i have two of these)

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
It's easy to detect the A500 defect if present. Play a piano solo piece - if you hear static sound after solitary sharp key strikes - it is a defect unit. Not a subtle sound - very obvious if defective.

On the other hand, the EP2500 and EP1500 don't have any such defect ever reported. In addition, the EP2500 is built to incredible quality level - better than most entry level audiophile amps - even though the price would not lead one to that conclusion. In addition, EP2500 measures superbly in 3rd party tests - and offers huge levels of low distortion, low noise power that can drive any speaker load with ease. There is an easy/cheap fan swap procedure so that the unit does not make audible fan noise.

-Chris

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
I am not an expert on the A500, but I read your question differently than how most answered it. Seems like you want to know why people use a power amp combined with a receiver.

The point of the added power amp is to drive the main speakers, and let the receiver drive the surround channels. This only important when you have big towers for your main speakers. Anytime you are reproducing bass frequencies (as most large mains try to do), you are using way more power than the receiver was designed to provide. Ever ran a subwoofer off a receiver? it doesn't work very well and that is why subwoofers have 300+ watt amps while small bookshelfs can sound great with less than 50 watts.

If you have your speakers set to small and the xover at ~80, there is no reason to run big power amps for your mains, athough I'm sure someone here would disagree.

The A500 is popular cuz its gives a lot of bang for your buck. But if the distortion problem continues it will prove all those pro-gear haters were right, and that behringer's cheap products are exactly that.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I am not an expert on the A500, but I read your question differently than how most answered it. Seems like you want to know why people use a power amp combined with a receiver.

The point of the added power amp is to drive the main speakers, and let the receiver drive the surround channels. This only important when you have big towers for your main speakers. Anytime you are reproducing bass frequencies (as most large mains try to do), you are using way more power than the receiver was designed to provide. Ever ran a subwoofer off a receiver? it doesn't work very well and that is why subwoofers have 300+ watt amps while small bookshelfs can sound great with less than 50 watts.

If you have your speakers set to small and the xover at ~80, there is no reason to run big power amps for your mains, athough I'm sure someone here would disagree.

The A500 is popular cuz its gives a lot of bang for your buck. But if the distortion problem continues it will prove all those pro-gear haters were right, and that behringer's cheap products are exactly that.
I think it's difficult to find good products from Behringer, but there are certainly diamonds in the rough. As already has been stated the EP2500 is a great amp.

External Amps are required if you want to use an EQ(such as the Behringer DCX2496) on your system. I'd only suggest this for folks that are willing to learn and technically inclined. It's simple for Chris or me, but I have a degree in being nerdy so take that under advisement.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

External Amps are required if you want to use an EQ(such as the Behringer DCX2496) on your system. I'd only suggest this for folks that are willing to learn and technically inclined. It's simple for Chris or me, but I have a degree in being nerdy so take that under advisement.
Unless one has a receiver with pre outs and amp ins;):D

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
It's easy to detect the A500 defect if present. Play a piano solo piece - if you hear static sound after solitary sharp key strikes - it is a defect unit. Not a subtle sound - very obvious if defective.

On the other hand, the EP2500 and EP1500 don't have any such defect ever reported. In addition, the EP2500 is built to incredible quality level - better than most entry level audiophile amps - even though the price would not lead one to that conclusion. In addition, EP2500 measures superbly in 3rd party tests - and offers huge levels of low distortion, low noise power that can drive any speaker load with ease. There is an easy/cheap fan swap procedure so that the unit does not make audible fan noise.

-Chris
+1

The only reason to buy an A500 over the EP1500/2500 is the noise of the fans. For the money the A500 is a bit anemic when you can buy an EP1500 for $199 shipped and a quiet fan for $15 shipped. The fan installation is easy if you have better than crude soldering skills.

I did this with my EP1500 I use to drive 2 DIY subs. This took the noise level from irritating to nearly inaudible and it doesn't even get warm. Inserting a resistor to lower fan speed isn't the best idea but you will find some websites where that is done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis