Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You should tell them how well it stacks up to the Bryston:D

Yes, this is a steal of a deal. Bridged would be about 200 watts for less than $200? What a deal.

I'll take the Bryston for the warranty alone. :D

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
Both Jeff and I bought ours from American Musical:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-A500.html

They add an extra one year warranty and they also offer a payment plan if needed.
Thanks for the information. I really like the fact that they offer 0% payment plan. it would make buying it a lot easier. I keep checking this thread over and over. I just seems as though it is a great buy.

I have a pair of RTi12 that I know my Yamaha RX-V2600 is not bringing alive. Realistically speaking from all you guys that have purchased these amps, bridged at 8 Ohms, it is really outputting close to 500W as claimed? Cause if so, they should be a perfect match for my fronts right?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the information. I really like the fact that they offer 0% payment plan. it would make buying it a lot easier. I keep checking this thread over and over. I just seems as though it is a great buy.

I have a pair of RTi12 that I know my Yamaha RX-V2600 is not bringing alive. Realistically speaking from all you guys that have purchased these amps, bridged at 8 Ohms, it is really outputting close to 500W as claimed? Cause if so, they should be a perfect match for my fronts right?
Yes, it outputs actual 440 watts mono into 8 ohms. But if you want this kind of power, I would suggest instead using the Behringer EP2500 amplifier, as it can drive a much larger variety of loads. In stereo mode, per channel, it produces a measured 450 @ 8 ohms, 650 @ 4 ohms and 1100 @ 2 ohms. In mono, it produces 2000 @ 4 ohms. It has a SNR of -110dB and in any case above, even at 2000 watts mono, it never exceeds about 0.2% THD. It is much lower than this into normal loads and power ranges -- that is the worst case scenario.

-Chris

majorloser

majorloser

Yes, it outputs actual 440 watts mono into 8 ohms. But if you want this kind of power, I would suggest instead using the Behringer EP2500 amplifier, as it can drive a much larger variety of loads. In stereo mode, per channel, it produces a measured 450 @ 8 ohms, 650 @ 4 ohms and 1100 @ 2 ohms. In mono, it produces 2000 @ 4 ohms. It has a SNR of -110dB and in any case above, even at 2000 watts mono, it never exceeds about 0.2% THD. It is much lower than this into normal loads and power ranges -- that is the worst case scenario.

-Chris
But alas it has a fan that either you live with or replace with something quieter. There are plenty of links to guys modding the fan.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Behringer A500

While I like plenty power like all of us here, I would also think that sound quality and dynamic head room is also important. Even since I replaced my Paradigm titans whith my floor standing phantoms I know I have lost head room.

Do you guys think that buying a A500 and use it in stereo mode to power my L/R front phantoms, using my Marantz sr6400/7001 as pre/pro that this would help with the headroom? My phantoms are 8ohms and are rated at 100 watts rms. Or would you suggest another amplifier that would help with the Head room. I tried to get the emotiva LPA-1 but they are out until 31/1/07.

Let me know.

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic

-Chris
sounds mighty tempting. I was just cheking out the EP2500. It looks like a beast. But it's is also very ugly in my opinion hee hee. At least the A500 look decent enough that would fit into my rack nicely. However power is power. So I guess the question is. Get 2 A500, bridge them and get 2x 500W mono to power my Polk RTi12's or get a single EP2500 amp and drive them instead.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
sounds mighty tempting. I was just cheking out the EP2500. It looks like a beast. But it's is also very ugly in my opinion hee hee. At least the A500 look decent enough that would fit into my rack nicely. However power is power. So I guess the question is. Get 2 A500, bridge them and get 2x 500W mono to power my Polk RTi12's or get a single EP2500 amp and drive them instead.
The EP2500 is a superior option, based on performance/function. If the fan is an issue, you do have the option of installing a super low noise Panaflo fan, of which I can provide the model number if you so desire. It's an easy replacement job - open up the top of the amplifier(just a few screws) and remove the old fan(4 screws) and replace with the drop in replacement unit.

-Chris

treejohnny

treejohnny

Junior Audioholic
Well I guess I am gonna show how much I didnt know. I just downloaded the manual for the ep 2500 and to my surprise it WILL drive the 8ohm speakers in stereo (I was assuming that it needed to be in mono to drive 8 ohms) It says that it will drive 2 channels @ 450 watts @ 8ohms (in case i was not the only one that didnt understand)

Hey Chris, do you have that part number of the quiet fan handy ?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Well I guess I am gonna show how much I didnt know. I just downloaded the manual for the ep 2500 and to my surprise it WILL drive the 8ohm speakers in stereo (I was assuming that it needed to be in mono to drive 8 ohms) It says that it will drive 2 channels @ 450 watts @ 8ohms (in case i was not the only one that didnt understand)

Hey Chris, do you have that part number of the quiet fan handy ?
Panaflo FBA08A24L1A, 24V, 80x25.5, 21dB
www.digikey.com P/N P9739-ND, $8.25

This will substantially lower the noise. If it's still slightly audible in your installation after this(maybe you have your amps close to your seating position, or in some sort of space that acts like an efficient acoustic mirror/reflector), you can also add a resistor in line with the fan to slow it down a bit.

-Chris

R

rlj676

Audioholic Intern
While I like plenty power like all of us here, I would also think that sound quality and dynamic head room is also important. Even since I replaced my Paradigm titans whith my floor standing phantoms I know I have lost head room.

Do you guys think that buying a A500 and use it in stereo mode to power my L/R front phantoms, using my Marantz sr6400/7001 as pre/pro that this would help with the headroom? My phantoms are 8ohms and are rated at 100 watts rms. Or would you suggest another amplifier that would help with the Head room. I tried to get the emotiva LPA-1 but they are out until 31/1/07.

Let me know.
I don't know about the Marantz, but in 8 ohm stereo mode the A500 was not much increase over my NAD 743. You could get two and bridge them for major overkill, but that would only cost $400 still.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know about the Marantz, but in 8 ohm stereo mode the A500 was not much increase over my NAD 743. You could get two and bridge them for major overkill, but that would only cost $400 still.
If buying dual amplifiers is in mind it would be more cost effective to get the EP2500. Also, if WmAx says it will outperform 2 A500s, it's probably true.:D

R

rlj676

Audioholic Intern
If buying dual amplifiers is in mind it would be more cost effective to get the EP2500. Also, if WmAx says it will outperform 2 A500s, it's probably true.:D
I was assuming the fans would be an issue as well as a more "pleasing look" for the A500's.

As a side note, I guess it's true that you get what you pay for, as my A500 lasted less than a month. Worse, it appears that somehow it caused my front channels on my reciever to short or otherwise quit working when I tried to use them again?

I've decided to return the A500 and go either with the 5 channel Emotiva or the used route.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I was assuming the fans would be an issue as well as a more "pleasing look" for the A500's.

As a side note, I guess it's true that you get what you pay for, as my A500 lasted less than a month. Worse, it appears that somehow it caused my front channels on my reciever to short or otherwise quit working when I tried to use them again?

I've decided to return the A500 and go either with the 5 channel Emotiva or the used route.
The EP2500 is of stellar build quality, it is much better than the A500 in most all respects. And as mentioned before, the fan scenario is easily rendered.:)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The EP2500 is of stellar build quality, it is much better than the A500 in most all respects. And as mentioned before, the fan scenario is easily rendered.:)
I would agree that the EP2500 is built like a tank, however I have had only one issue with my 6 A-500's other than that they have performed flawless. Also, Behringer replaced the one that I had an issue with so there is NO WAY I can complain. There is nothing wrong with the A-500's, right Major?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The A500 is of good build quality, so far as I can tell. I don't like the front face one bit, though. Looks cheezy to me.

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The A500 is of good build quality, so far as I can tell. I don't like the front face one bit, though. Looks cheezy to me.

-Chris
I am not saying the A500 is poor in build quality, but the EP2500 is certainly better.:D

D

daptek

Audiophyte
RX-V1700 with Polk DSW Pro 500

Newbie here.... I just hooked up an RX-V1700 with RTi10's from Polk audio as well as a DSW Pro 500 subwoofer from Polk audio too. So far I don't seem to be getting any output through the SWFR. I'm watching Star Wars IV on HD from brighthouse networks here in Orlando but nothing. Tried the Auto setup from the RX-V1700 and when it finishes for SWFR it says none.

Help please!:(:(:(

P

pyotr

Audiophyte
A500 Experiences

About a couple of years ago, being a happy recipient of the Parts Express Catalog, I saw the A500. At the time I was thinking of constructing The World's Finest Audio Power Amp (still a desire..) and, y'know, an A500 was cheaper than buying a chassis and power supply and plugs and sockets from DigiKey or whoever. So I bought one for sacrifice.

Then I thought - may as well see just how bad it is, and plugged it into my system (Linn Sondek LP-12/Rega RB300/Shure V15 MR; Linn Wakonda; Linn LK140; B&W 801-III) and - begod - it sounded better than the LK-140. Still did a few weeks later. Not only more relaxed pwoer, but better bass control. Maybe a little sweeter. Recognisably the same music, but.. nicer.

So I did the sensible thing, and bought 2 more (one per speaker, bi-amped) intending to keep the first as the sacrificial lamb. Had *serious* groundloop problems, resolved in time.

Just got an Integra DTC 9.8 preamp-processor. I expect to circumvent the groundloop solution by using the balanced outputs.. soon's I've bought more cable and plugs...

A whole new life - the A500s sound most excellent.

Thoroughly recommended.

Of course, my amp will be better - but don't hold any breaths :)

-- P

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
There's no reason for them not to sound excellent, like any other properly-designed amplifier that meets hi-fi criteria, unless you get the odd defective unit. I do have reservations about the grade of electrolytic they use. I'd hope they'd use good Japanese caps for reliability...I'd hate to see nice amplifiers suffer from the "bad-cap" syndrome that plagues PC power supplies and motherboards, I see a lot of failed 'lytics in my work as a PC tech.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis