Beginning w bookshelf speakers, building around sub toward 5.1

C

chilepastor

Enthusiast
Hi All,
New here. I've been doing a bit of speaker research and was finding a lot of helpful info reading your forums.
So now I'm looking for more specific advice.
I'm on a $400 budget for purchasing speakers. The good news is that I already have an Infinity Interlude 100 for a sub. (gave up the rest of the system in divorce a few years back, long story, unique situation).
I want to end up with a 5.1 speaker setup that I'll enjoy. Reading advice here and elsewhere, it seems smart to go with bookshelf speakers. Doesn't appear critical to match the rest of the speakers to the sub -- but I do eventually want all the other speakers to match. Agree?
I'm considering Klipsch RB-41 II, and also Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. Nothing else has jumped out at me in my price range. Does anyone have another suggestion?

I do own a very small pair of Klipsch satellites -- off the top of my head I don't even know what they're called -- they're small, but can take up to 100w. I've thought of using these as my left & right and buying a center channel first, then adding new left & right. Surrounds would be last.
Eager for suggestions. Probably purchasing pieces of the puzzle about one year at a time.

Will be buying new receiver too as my old Denon 2 channel won't do anymore as I'm aiming at surround sound. Looking at Onkyo NR414, Denon 1513, and Harmon Kardon 1700.

I know better equipment, brother is outfitted with Paradigm & NAD. But this is my budget now.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You should look at the new Andrew Jones Pioneer set if you are on a tight budget. You can easily swing the set for 500 bucks and it will be tough to beat. Andrew Jones did a fantastic job on these and I'm sure even your brother would find their sound remarkable for the price.

125 per tower is tempting even to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with that statement. I don't like hype so I bought a pair of the BS22-LR bookshelf speakers myself and so far, they definitely deserve the hype.

C

chilepastor

Enthusiast
Any thoughts on going with the center first, then getting the matching front left & right afterward? Bad idea? You never hear of anyone auditioning a center.
Thanks for mentioning the Pioneer line -- I did come across an article about Andrew Jones & Pioneer. Wasn't crazy about the look of them, but best sound for the price trumps all. And actually - at those prices I may be able to get the center at the same time!

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Any thoughts on going with the center first, then getting the matching front left & right afterward? Bad idea? You never hear of anyone auditioning a center.
Thanks for mentioning the Pioneer line -- I did come across an article about Andrew Jones & Pioneer. Wasn't crazy about the look of them, but best sound for the price trumps all. And actually - at those prices I may be able to get the center at the same time!
Hi Chilipastor,
Welcome to the forum!

Here is a complete 5.1 system for $454.00 from EMP Tek. Email Brian and ask if you can get a package price without the sub since you want to use the Infinity sub you have now. If you want a new sub, this package is a great value.
I have EMP speakers and they're great.

Cinema 5 Compact Home Theater System (2013 Winter WarmUp Sale)

Brian's email: btracy@emptek.com

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You should look at the new Andrew Jones Pioneer set if you are on a tight budget. You can easily swing the set for 500 bucks and it will be tough to beat. Andrew Jones did a fantastic job on these and I'm sure even your brother would find their sound remarkable for the price.

125 per tower is tempting even to me.
I got mine for $98 each. Pretty great deal. I had BB match Tiger Direct without issue. Still pretty satisfied with my purchase.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the looks are unfortunate, because I don't love the way they look either. As I said in my write up of them though, they sound good enough that I can definitely overlook their appearance.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked up your sub - it's pretty decent one and good choice for small to medium sized spaces. Your best would be to get fronts and center at same time and I whole heartily agree with Pioneer AJ line speaker recommendation for your tight budget.
Surrounds could be mismatched, unlike front speaker which must be very closely matching in sound.

C

chilepastor

Enthusiast
Thanks for the link -- the company does get some good praise. Will look for more comments specific to Cinema 5. Getting the 5 without the sub would be important as mine will get the job done for a while.
Anyone else able to weigh in on these EMP Tek speakers?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the link -- the company does get some good praise. Will look for more comments specific to Cinema 5. Getting the 5 without the sub would be important as mine will get the job done for a while.
Anyone else able to weigh in on these EMP Tek speakers?
Those speakers are only worthy of surround duty. Just use the Klipsch's for that and get a new set of fronts first. Don't only get a center either. If you only get something make it a L-R matched pair and go without a center. I have done it both ways and prefer having a center. If it fits below the tv or screen I prefer having the same speaker for all 3 fronts.

C

chilepastor

Enthusiast
Hi folks,
I found a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s for sale on craigslist -- $200 for the pair. Seller is retired, I don't know what version of the monitor 7 we're talking about -- but even if they're the first run, $200 for the pair seems like a great deal. Thoughts? Pictures provided look like new.

C

chilepastor

Enthusiast
This morning I found a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 on Craigslist -- $200 for the pair. Retired gentleman selling them. So they're not coming out of a dorm room. He's downsizing. I didn't get what version they are but would expect them to be older 7s. Still a great deal for Paradigm, yes? He provided several pictures, and they make the speakers look like new. I'm hoping he can still hook them up so I can listen to them. BUT I still wonder, would a NEW pair of these Pioneers be better than an old pair of Paradigm Monitor 7? I notice Pioneers have 3 5.25 cones and the Paradigm have 2 8" cones. Really, I need to hear them both. Will let you know.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Yes, the looks are unfortunate, because I don't love the way they look either. As I said in my write up of them though, they sound good enough that I can definitely overlook their appearance.
At least on the 2012 line you can remove the grill, which helps :)

Trust me!

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
This morning I found a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 on Craigslist -- $200 for the pair. Retired gentleman selling them. So they're not coming out of a dorm room. He's downsizing. I didn't get what version they are but would expect them to be older 7s. Still a great deal for Paradigm, yes? He provided several pictures, and they make the speakers look like new. I'm hoping he can still hook them up so I can listen to them. BUT I still wonder, would a NEW pair of these Pioneers be better than an old pair of Paradigm Monitor 7? I notice Pioneers have 3 5.25 cones and the Paradigm have 2 8" cones. Really, I need to hear them both. Will let you know.
If you can demo them, go see what you think.. You can demo the pioneers at Best buy.. Issue with buying the 7's is finding the matching center reasonably if you want to use 5.1

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not just that, the Pioneers are definitely better speakers than the older Paradigm Monitor line. I owned Mini Monitors, Monitor 5s and a CC370.

At least on the 2012 line you can remove the grill, which helps

Trust me!
To be honest, I kind of preferred the look of the previous ones. I had the grilles off on mine until I stuck them in the bedroom :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis