Beginning the Search For A Real Sub

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
Here is a simpe one, is the original poster less happy with the sound from the speakers or the LFE? If LFE performance was fine, i'd say sure buy towers. If they are unimpressed with the LFE and the speaker sound is OK, no amount of tower is going to fix that. I went to a 15" sub with Def Tech bookshelfs, and then went towers and large center. I'd take the sub over the towers any day. Id actually take the large center over the towers too, unless we are talking 2 channel music.

For me, having a wimpy sub in a large room with my 7ii's crossed at 60 or 80hz is not the fix. The LFE channel can fix itself with a large sub, and handle deficiency from the towers, the towers cannot fix LFE channel deficiencies.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Here is a simpe one, is the original poster less happy with the sound from the speakers or the LFE? If LFE performance was fine, i'd say sure buy towers. If they are unimpressed with the LFE and the speaker sound is OK, no amount of tower is going to fix that. I went to a 15" sub with Def Tech bookshelfs, and then went towers and large center. I'd take the sub over the towers any day. Id actually take the large center over the towers too, unless we are talking 2 channel music.

For me, having a wimpy sub in a large room with my 7ii's crossed at 60 or 80hz is not the fix. The LFE channel can fix itself with a large sub, and handle deficiency from the towers, the towers cannot fix LFE deficiencies.
In your opinion, no amount of tower is going to fix that. Don't forget that your ears, in your room are not his ears. It's up to the OP to decide and until he hears the towers in his room, it's a moot point. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

Back to the actual point, nowhere does the OP state there is an LFE deficiency and right in the first post he mentioned that his own use for the system is 60/40 TV/movies/music. Based on what the OP stated, it sounds like he would be better served with the increased bass performance and overall performance of the towers first and then adding a couple subs afterwards. IMO, YMMV, ect ect.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I guess I only presumed that to be the right path forward. Would you all suggest otherwise?
If it were me, I'd buy both the towers and the sub together, and sell off the Radius system. No sense in having an awesome sub that's held back by the rest of your system, and same goes for the Sierra towers.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
An interesting few threads.

The low end performance is clearly the weak link on music and movies, but I think the system lacks at all frequencies. Steve81, is there a market for my Radius set up?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Steve81, is there a market for my Radius set up?
I'm sure there are buyers out there, but the only way to find out for sure is to put an ad up on Craigslist and see how many bites you get.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Here's my take (2-cents), get the best sub you can afford and don't look back. A quality sub will make your other speakers sing with joy.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
So my WAF may complicate this decision. Last night I used a 24" h x 24"d x 18" wide packing box to generally show my better half the dimensions of what I was talking about. Although I may have some room to persuade, I may not prevail.

I'm sure I know the answer to this already, but are there any small footprint subs that can perform well in my space. I am going to show her the SVS PC12 and PC 13 to get her opinion. Would those perform well enough in my space?

Our couches are low to the ground so under the sofa models will not work.

Also, I know it would not be ideal but am I correct to assume that one of the ID brand subs designed for smaller rooms would still significantly improve my current performance?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm sure I know the answer to this already, but are there any small footprint subs that can perform well in my space. I am going to show her the SVS PC12 and PC 13 to get her opinion. Would those perform well enough in my space?
The PC12+ or PC13U would definitely be a good fit for your space. Of course, IME the cylinders have all the aesthetic appeal of a water heater draped in black fabric, so I don't know how your wife would take one in person.

Also, I know it would not be ideal but am I correct to assume that one of the ID brand subs designed for smaller rooms would still significantly improve my current performance?
I think it's fair to say you've got nowhere to go but up from an 8"/100W sub. While a large vented sub might be a better fit given the size of your space, something like the Rythmik E15 would still be a huge upgrade.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Or you could hide it in plain site. I saw a thread somewhere about someone turning the Danley sub into a coffee table. Many people use subs as end tables as well. Would Hsu's rosewood finish be acceptable decor to double as end tables? Rythmik also makes some nice oak finish subs if I recall correctly. You might even contact Jim Salk at Salksound to see whether he could build you a sub to the specs and finish you need to match your decor.

For a diminutive sub with a bit of power, there's the JL Audio E112, or maybe the SVS SB2000. A sealed sub won't fully pressurize your room, but it will do a lot more than your 8" bass module thingy. Or how about a pair of Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12? They've got a smaller footprint at 21x16x23, and they're even on a Father's Day sale right now.

Last edited:
C

cpd

Full Audioholic
The only problem with location is the connection. I cannot run a cable anywhere but next to the cabinet. I could locate the sub under a set of windows or in a corner next to the couch (right where we sit) but I would need a wireless connection. Are those decent?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose they work ok. My dad's sound bar has a wireless bass module, and it sounds indistinguishable from wired. A wireless transmitter and a grown up sub would certainly be worth an audition if that's what's needed for wife acceptance. See whether Monoprice or Parts Express has a better deal on the transmitter.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis