Beginner with Receiver/Tower Questions

W

wschilawski

Audiophyte
Morning,

So I wired up two JBL G500 (inherited=FREE!) towers to my Pioneer SX-316 receiver (I know - beginner receiver but it does the job for the most part). When I turn the system on, it doesn't see like the woofers are being used to their full potential. I have them wired to their specific Left/Right channel and the connections are good. The tweeters and mids are working fine - just doesn't seem to have much coming from the (4) woofers.

I had tried wiring one tower to the subwoofer & specific channel but it had just overloaded the system. It did, however, sound good (better lower tones) for a split second.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!
Weston

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
That receiver shipped with a HTIB package and never retailed as a stand alone product. It is possible that the speaker terminals have an inbuilt crossover intended for the packaged speakers and that it cannot be disabled. This is just a guess based on the scant info available online.

What I can confirm is that the receiver is very basic and does not have user adjustment options for speaker size or crossover or anything that might prevent bass from going to the towers.

Under no circumstances try to connect the woofers to the sub terminal again. If the amp still works, you got lucky the first time. The electrical load presented by the woofers will most definitely fry the amplifier section.

W

wschilawski

Audiophyte
Thank you - won't make that mistake again... Will adjusting the loudness control help in my scenario? Like you said, this was not sold as a standalone product. I may have to start looking for a new/upgraded receiver.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
It's worth a shot, might as well explore all options before changing anything.

W

wschilawski

Audiophyte
Went home after lunch - reduced level on the L/R towers, put on some music and I have more sound now. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place...will be doing some more adjusting this evening.

Thanks for the help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis