Beginner trying to hook up surround sound!

B

Ben Cook

Audiophyte
So, I have my first surround system. It is old - it's an RCA RT2600. I am trying to figure out how to hook my bluray player up to it. My TV is RCA (not an RCA fan, it was just cheap...now I'm thinking for a reason). My bluray player only has an HDMI out, an A/V out and a coax audio out. My TV has only a red and white audio out. Now...I can hook up the surround via the red/white cables but I've heard the coax, optical and HDMI are the only ways to get true surround.
My receiver has virtually every input you can imagine but no HDMI in/out. The TV also has coax in (why no coax out???). I can use the bluray player to transmit sound via the coax out, but that cable is put together with the A/V out and can't be used in conjunction with the HDMI. I'm about to pull my hair out. I have very little money (bought the surround sound used for $75). I will be buying a PS3 in a couple months, which has an optical out, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
To get the best possible audio quality you don't need HDMI. Have the blue ray player send 'LPCM' to the Coax In on the receiver. Use the HDMI (assuming it has one) to go directly to the TV (and not use the red and white audio out on the TV). What player is it? Perhaps we can help you with settings there too.

B

Ben Cook

Audiophyte
Thank you! Once again, I cheaped out on the bluray player. It's a magnavox MBP512of. I have no idea what LPCM means but I will see if I can find a setting.

B

Ben Cook

Audiophyte
It worked!!! Thank you so much agarwalro! That was the first time I've actually had real surround sound. So much more crisp and even sound. Loved hearing different noises out of different speakers. So my receiver (RCA RT2600).....was it a good decision to get that instead of a HT in a box (like a $200 one)? I know it's off topic but I'm curious as I know very little about all this

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome! Nothing like having things fall into place. What's the first movie you've set up?

Nope, no reason to spend more money if this is sufficient for your needed :).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In the future, before you buy anything A/V related, I would suggest you come here though as there are some nice entry level pieces out there which do include HDMI for great prices and people here will be more than happy to help you work towards a budget minded goal which will give you good sound for the long term.

B

Ben Cook

Audiophyte
I discovered this site after I bought my setup. But I will be sure to visit back often. I want to slowly upgrade but I don't need loud. I'm still trying to figure things out. For instance, my wife does not like movies loud and has a hard time hearing the voices. Still trying to figure out how to adjust the bass/treble settings while using surround. I seem to only be able to adjust the setting for type (stadium, club, church, etc) and individual speaker volume. I can't find it in my manual so maybe I can't...just not sure. Oh, one other question - coax sound - should I try and buy a special cable or will an A/V cable suffice? Currently I'm using one of the component cables (RGB).

Oh, the movie I stuck in for a few minutes was Despicable Me haha. But Superman is out next week and that should sound awesome! Thanks again guys.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Still trying to figure out how to adjust the bass/treble settings while using surround. I seem to only be able to adjust the setting for type (stadium, club, church, etc) and individual speaker volume. I can't find it in my manual so maybe I can't...just not sure. Oh, one other question - coax sound - should I try and buy a special cable or will an A/V cable suffice? Currently I'm using one of the component cables (RGB).

Oh, the movie I stuck in for a few minutes was Despicable Me haha. But Superman is out next week and that should sound awesome! Thanks again guys.
It's odd that the manual has no mention of being able to adjust bass/treble. Keep looking, I'll see if something turns up online.

No needed to change the cable if the current one is working and you don't mind having unused wires.

Despicable Me is a great movie :).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis