Beginner looking to use both home theater speakers and car audio for room setup.

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
I have a Denon receiver, two aperion towers, 18 guage speaker wire, and a 8in aperion audio sub. Im lloking to getting two car audio 12in subs use them in my room until i get a car because im only 15. I dont know much about this kind of stuff but im willing to learn. I just want more bass Than a giant stupid sony hifi system gives. let me know what kind of subs should i get and amps and anything. Thanks.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
Im thinking about getting 2x rockford fosgate P1S4-12 Subs. Now i just need an amp but again this is for home for now so i want an amp i can plug into a wall socket. Both subs produce 250 watts rms each so what wattage amp would i need?

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
Any recommendations for an amp? 250 watt rms for each of the subs and 500 watt peak. I will get two of the subs.

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
Looking for a price under $150 bucks or just not expensive for a 15 year old.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You have time to save up for your car subwoofers in the future.

I would think about buying a home subwoofer with a built in amp for now.

And it should be much better than your Sony HTIB subwoofer

I would not get to caught up about wattage specs at this time, as sensitivity
also plays a part in loudness.

Look at this complete Dayton subwoofer - a lot of people like it.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Your call

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
I really am looking forward to using the dual Rockford Fosgate p1s4-12 subs in a box. I just need an amp. I don't know what wattage amp to get and I you know that each sub puts out 250 watts RMS and 500 watts peak I just need to know what wattage amp to get that plugs into a wall outlet. Can that amp plug into A Denon receiver?

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
I don't see the problem in using Car Audio subs instead of home theater audio subs. Especially since I can use the car subs in a car later when I get one.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't see the problem in using Car Audio subs instead of home theater audio subs. Especially since I can use the car subs in a car later when I get one.
Car audio subs are car audio subs for a reason, they work under different parameters than home subs. If you take an ordinary set of car audio subs like the rockfords and put them in an ordinary car speaker box and put them in your home it is going to sound terrible. Those boxes are setup and tuned to be used in a small space such as an automobile, not your home. Not withstanding, getting an effective amount of power to car audio subwoofers in your home is very expensive. If you did go this route you would need at a minimum a pro audio (commercial rack mount) amplifier and possibly a crossover (if the amplifier doesn't have one built in). Even if the amp has the crossover built in you're still going to spend over $200-300 on the amp alone to be able to drive such speakers.

I agree with what was said above, you'll have time to save up for car subs. By the time you have saved up your car sub money you may have even changed your mind about what kind of subs you want for your car anyway.

I'd recommend following zieglj01's advice and get the Dayton.

Edit: The reason car audio amplifiers are so much cheaper per watt (without getting into overrated amplifier wattage figures) than commercial amplifiers is the lack of a need for a transformer. Voltage in car audio doesn't need to be addressed because it's already around 11-12v DC.

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
I acknowledge what your saying but my room is small and for the time being maybe a year or so i can do with those rockfords. Im not looking for perfect home audio sound im only 15. Im young i like bass but also the quality of music.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I acknowledge what your saying but my room is small and for the time being maybe a year or so i can do with those rockfords. Im not looking for perfect home audio sound im only 15. Im young i like bass but also the quality of music.
Then get the Dayton. I work with car audio daily, I promise you'd be wasting money.

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
If i wanted good bass anyways would i be better of keeping my 10in sub? Or adding with the dayton?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thread head says 8", which is it?

As it pertains to advice on the car subs for your home I will add no further input as I am not good at advising people on how to waste their money.

Last edited:
delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
Its a 10in sub. Thats what i have now. I just need to know will a teen be disappointed buying two 12in car subs for his room???

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would get the Dayton 1200. That way you will get much better sound without all the hassle with car audio subs. If you want subs for your car later you can save up for them by the time. That way you get much better performance for your money and you will stay in your budget.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Don't buy anything yet!

Until you know how a subwoofer actually works you shouldn't buy one.
Until you know how amps work you shouldn't buy one either.

Google them up and understand after that parts-express.com is your friend.

delaneygottron

delaneygottron

Audioholic Intern
Don't buy anything yet!

Until you know how a subwoofer actually works you shouldn't buy one.
Until you know how amps work you shouldn't buy one either.

Google them up and understand after that parts-express.com is your friend.
Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis