Beginner looking for simple cheap system

K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
Hi, I am looking to build a cheap system for our garage. I just need something that's pretty loud and that I can plug a phone into. I know pretty much nothing about home systems, but I looked around and found some stuff that I thought might work. Now I'm just checking to make sure before I spend any money. Here's what I found:

Acoustic Audio 151w Amazon.com: Acoustic Audio 151W Indoor Outdoor 2 Way Speakers 1200 Watt White 2 Pair Pack New 151W-2Pr: Electronics
Pyle Pro PTA1000 Amazon.com: Pyle Pro PTA1000 1000 Watt DJ Amplifier: Electronics

Since this amp produces 500w x2 at 4 ohms and the speakers are 150w/300w at 8 ohms each, I thought I could wire a pair in parallel to each channel, making them 300w/600w at 4 ohms x2 channels

Obviously this setup wouldn't have much range, but I can add that later. What I was most interested in was that the speakers are rated at 98 dB and I can get a 1000w 4 speaker system for ~$150.

So what do y'all think about this? Will it work?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers don't put out watts, they absorb them. And, just because they are rated to be able to absorb so many watts dorsn't mean they will sound good while doing so. Theoretically, a human can run 30 mph but you can bet yer bippy it won't be pretty or for long.

And, they are 4" speakers. What kind of sound and volume do you really expect?

Also, that "1000" watt" figure stated for that amp is way exaggerated using every trivck in the sleazy marketing handbook. Can you tell me what the distortion figure they use for that number is? I can't find it in their manual.

But, it may work, and it might even be painfully loud, but good sound? I kinds doubt it.

K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
Yeah we weren't expecting much quality from this setup, mostly just volume.
It says the distortion is 1%.
I just didn't know if I could use that amp in place of a receiver since I don't need all the functions. Obviously it's not a quality system but I figured it wouldn't be bad for $150

K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
I've got a clean 5.1 system for the tv and everything inside, that's why we were trying to put together something really loud and cheap for college parties in the garage and back patio

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a clean 5.1 system for the tv and everything inside, that's why we were trying to put together something really loud and cheap for college parties in the garage and back patio
Really loud with some level of durability is going to be pricey. Outside vs. the garage is also very different spaces and will come at a cost.

I can certainly appreciate the human condition to want greatness for nothing, but really, your expectations must be in line with your budget.

That said, I would possibly look towards something like this at the low end...
Amazon.com: Behringer EUROLIVE B210D Active 200-Watt 2-Way Pa Speaker System with 10 Woofer And 1.35 Compression Drivercompression Driver: Electronics

This will give you far more bang for your buck and is more appropriate for your situation than what I've seen linked so far. If you want more sound, you can add another one, or get their larger version which is a bit more cash. They are also a pretty reputable company which should give you some piece of mind.

K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
I don't really have much of a budget, just as loud as I can get for as cheap as possible. I don't expect any quality at all and I expect to upgrade when I can afford it. The system is going to be set in the garage, but we might want to move it out back just for cookouts and stuff where the loudness won't be as important, only the presence of sound at all.

I knew the Behringer's were quality, I just didn't know what all I would need with them. I see they are powered, but is there a need for a receiver or are there jacks already on them?
I see the 210D is 113 dB and the 212D is 125 dB, so if they are just plug and play we might start with 1 and add a second later.

Also, for $120 difference in price, what is the difference between the 212D and the 212XL? http://amzn.com/B001XWD3LC

Thanks for all of your input guys

Last edited:
K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
But is the extra $40 not worth the extra 23 dB and not having to worry about the avr? I'll probably end up with the Behringer, I'm just trying to decide now between the 210D, 212D, or 212XL

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The XL series does not have a built in amplifier.

No, you don't need anything else with their active speakers. They have 'matched' amplifiers which deliver decently high output sound at a reasonable price. Look at their website and look at the connections on the back as you may need to buy a audio cable to go from your source (phone, cd, mixer, etc.) to the amplified speaker.

BEHRINGER: Loudspeakers and Studio Monitors

The 208D, 210D, and 212D all have different sized woofers, which is detailed on their site with full measurements. I would go with what you are comfortable with, then add more as necessary. You will get some serious sound output from these without 'great' quality, but certainly acceptable. At some point, you may want a real subwoofer if you want a big jump in the low end quality. Maybe build something yourself.

K

kstrayhorn

Audiophyte
Ok that rules out the XL. I guess now I'm just looking for y'all's opinions on whether the 212D is worth the extra $110 dollars. ($279 vs. $169 on amazon). As of right now for our garage setup with portability for occasional backyard/tailgate use and our low budget, my roommate and I are looking at each getting a 210D to pair up unless y'all can convince us that a pair of the 212s is really worth that much extra cost. You have all been extremely helpful and I thank you for your insight and opinions.

So, that's my last question on the matter: 210D or 212D?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis