Beginner HT: Stereo or 5.1 (Please include links to deals)

A

algae65

Audiophyte
Gang

I check on here last year regarding putting a HT system in my place, but I ended up buying a car to restore instead(old habits die hard). Anyway, I'm moving to a new place, and I'm ready to pull the trigger. The advice that I was previously given is as follows:

Receiver
Onkyo HT-RC260 7.2
Onkyo TX-8555

Speakers
Infinity Primus P362

Center Channel
??? - Any suggestions

Subwoofer
Emotiva Ultra 10
Emotiva XREF 10
Dayton SUB-120

Are there any new products in the industry over the past year that would make these choices obsolete? I'm not trying to set up a vs thread, just looking for people's opinions. Budget is $1000-1200 for a stereo setup and $2000 for 5.1. Also, I do not want to build a tower myself. Any links to deals would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Primus line is still good entry level.
Get the best center channel in the Primus series that you can afford. Dont mix.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Budget is $1000-1200 for a stereo setup and $2000 for 5.1. Also, I do not want to build a tower myself. Any links to deals would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance
Are you aiming for 2 setups - 1 for music, and 1 for movies?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
2 channel vs multichannel is personal preference. Either way I like to use a multichannel AVR because they private bass management.

The P362 are still a good choice for 2.0 in any size room or as the mains for a 2.1/5.1 in a large room. For a smallish room I'd probably go with P162s to save money for a very capable sub. Since I have no idea how big the room is it's impossible to size the subwoofer but I'd probably skip the Emotiva subwoofers for something larger and ported from Hsu or Rythmik. Take some room measurements and contact them for subwoofer suggestions.

The correct center for P362 or the newer P363 are the PC350 or PC351. The P162s can be pared with either of those or a PC250/PC251. For a small to medium room P152/P153 bookshelves make good surrounds.

A

algae65

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice gang.

P362's is in then. I've seen them on amazon for 350 each. Is there a cheaper place to get them.

Can I have more info on the subwoofer. I looked at the VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer. Is that okay, for a midsize room (15 x 18)

Also, I need advice for a 5.1 or 7.2 receiver. Budget is $300

In general, can you please provide a couple of the best websites that have the best deals. So far, I've been checking accessories4less and amazon, but I'd like some more options.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the advice gang.
P362's is in then. I've seen them on amazon for 350 each. Is there a cheaper place to get them.
Can I have more info on the subwoofer. I looked at the VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer. Is that okay, for a midsize room (15 x 18)
Also, I need advice for a 5.1 or 7.2 receiver. Budget is $300
In general, can you please provide a couple of the best websites that have the best deals. So far, I've been checking accessories4less and amazon, but I'd like some more options.
Go back to sholling's post and click on P362 - the HSU sub is fine.
It will not be easy beating the AC4L pricing on refurbs. Some good
pricing on the Denon, skip the 13XX series. You can go over to the
Newegg site, for exploration.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=488&name=Receivers

HSU
http://hsuresearch.com/faq.html#1

A

algae65

Audiophyte
Thanks. I just ordered the p362's yesterday.

I'm going to go Oknyo TX for the receiver. Probably 2 channel

I like the new Emotiva sub X-Ref 12's sub too.

Thanks for all the input.

A

anthonywoy

Enthusiast
The X-ref are really nice subs if you want accuracy. The HSU will give you deeper and louder bass, but it won't be as clear or accurate. It depends what you are looking for.
Most people seem to want the boom, but if appreciate the quality of the sound you are getting, the X-ref are one of the best in it's price range. I have been very happy with my X-ref 10.

I would recommend to get a center channel from the same line as your Infinity speakers. It is good to match the front speakers if you can.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis