Begginer home theater speaker buying set help

D

Dwayne89

Enthusiast
HI i am buying my first surround sound speaker set. I have a small room no room for big speakers i have a Denon AVR689 80 watts a channel. I wach mostly action movies. But i dont now what to buy for speakers. If had to choose which whould you buy. The Energy take classic 5.1 polk blackstone TL1600 or the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600. please help. Thank you all for your help.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Whats your true budget? If your looking for the "action" part it will mostly come from the sub, so go heavy on budget that way if your not doing any critical listening of music currently.

HI i am buying my first surround sound speaker set. I have a small room no room for big speakers i have a Denon AVR689 80 watts a channel. I wach mostly action movies. But i dont now what to buy for speakers. If had to choose which whould you buy. The Energy take classic 5.1 polk blackstone TL1600 or the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600. please help. Thank you all for your help.

D

Dwayne89

Enthusiast
i will never be listening to music on it. it will only be used for movies. i have six hundred to spend

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
i will never be listening to music on it. it will only be used for movies. i have six hundred to spend
I'd start with a 2.1 system first, then build it. How large is your room

D

Dwayne89

Enthusiast
does dayton build quilty speakers. i picked the ones i did because of the name brande that was on them. i thought when you bought a name brand speaker it was of better quality that must no always be the case

D

Dwayne89

Enthusiast
ok i have looked at the dayton speakers on the website it says Power Handling 40 watts RMS/75 watts max. i have a 80 watt a channel AV
Receiver can i still use the Dayton speakers

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
ok i have looked at the dayton speakers on the website it says Power Handling 40 watts RMS/75 watts max. i have a 80 watt a channel AV
Receiver can i still use the Dayton speakers
Speaker wattage is maximum they can handle and receiver wattage rating is maximum it can output, so yes you will be fine with lower rated speakers if you don't crank the volume all the way up. I myself would get the AA monitors how ever as they are pretty much your best bet on that price range.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You should also be aware that your receiver's rating of 80 watts per channel isn't likely to be that with all channels driven. Those ratings are usually given with the qualifier given (in small font) "2 channels driven, 20hz - 20khz @ 8Ω" and not likely to give 80 watts each to all 7 channels at once.

No matter though, because in a room that small if it could deliver that much you would soon be deaf.

I have to a agree that you would be much happier with the Philharmonic AA speakers and the Dayton subwoofer than you would with a Blackstone (Polk) kit.

D

Dwayne89

Enthusiast
that is a 7.1 AV i will only use 5.1 so will that diliver more watts to the speakers.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
that is a 7.1 AV i will only use 5.1 so will that diliver more watts to the speakers.
7.1/5.1.. It doesn't matter as long as you are not cranking it all the way up. And that is one thing you shouldnt do even if your speakers could handle 200 wats.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
You should also be aware that your receiver's rating of 80 watts per channel isn't likely to be that with all channels driven. Those ratings are usually given with the qualifier given (in small font) "2 channels driven, 20hz - 20khz @ 8Ω" and not likely to give 80 watts each to all 7 channels at once.

No matter though, because in a room that small if it could deliver that much you would soon be deaf.

I have to a agree that you would be much happier with the Philharmonic AA speakers and the Dayton subwoofer than you would with a Blackstone (Polk) kit.
As stated the Philharmonic AA speakers along with the Dayton sub or even with the Bic PL200 sub would be within your budget, the AA speakers are highly favorable here and for very good reasons due to the designer and the quality and performance as well as the sound, take your time, don't rush, IMAO, I would start with a 2.1 setup first and build from there, keep in mind what's important is what sounds and pleasing to your ears, check out www.accessories4less.com
Enjoy...Cheers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. Philharmonic AA's and as much sub as budget allows. In your case it's about $370 after AA's price+shipping.
Dayton Sub1200 is not bad way to go, but this sub (possibly soon to be on sale closer to black friday)
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
should be closer to your budget

A bit over the budget but huge step up in both power and quality is this DIY set and it's easy to assemble:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-466
http://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-15-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-12-reference-seri--300-7077
http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu1000dsp-inuke-1000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6702

PE has running labor day promo and with LABOR30 code, your total including shipping is $414. I guarantee you, that you won't find commercial sub anywhere near this kit capacity.

Extra Things to consider: Bring your own cables, clamps and wood glue as well as box finish. Can spray paint should work, or outside carpet or just take it to car paint shop for pro finish.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis