before i buy this, comments please

M

Marty Manich

Enthusiast
I've been really looking to put a new audio system together. and I may have made a few choices and would like some feed back on the from the forum.

reciever : denon 2307 ci. I chose this for a couple of reasons. Almost identical to the 2807 and 300 less. I thought about the lpa/lmc combo but was unsure of the item becouse of all the quirks posted here and on other sites. Mmc put the reciever out of the budget. I have $340 in best buy credit (got it when i found the 50" plasma for less then what I paid for it. I bought a panny 50" plasma for $1600 after the price match).

I was set on the av123 760 package with the diapoles untill today. They are offering mini package ( mini strata ref 1 and the ref center ). Seems like an awful sweet deal. How will the denon work with this speaker set up. The ref 1 are rated for 4 ohms. The review in audioholics says the denon rates their recievers to 6 ohms. Any problems? total price is about 3850.

please share your thoughts

thanks

Marty

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No doubt the Emotiva combo would be better suited to handle the Reference 1s and just as well the Strata minis. But, the Denon has preouts and could be upgraded at a later date. It has more features than the Emotiva combo, which would be its advantage, but it doesn't have the power the Emotiva combo does and thus you won't likely get the most from those speakers you have selected. It is a tough decision.:cool:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure that I'd want to run the 2307 with an all 4 ohm setup. There's another thread around here, Yamaha vs. Denon I think, in the amp section, where even I suggested the Yamaha was the better receiver and it was available at Best Buy. If I'm not mistaken, the Yamaha would also run a 4 ohm load safely.

M

Marty Manich

Enthusiast
The minis are 8 ohms. the ref 1's are 4ohms. recomend a receiver in this price range?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Receiver

Marty,
The Yamaha RX-V661 is a good mid-fi receiver option and includes HDMI. You can also find good deals on a refurbished 2600 or 1600 for <$500.

I am running a pair of Ref 1's on my Yamaha HTR-5860 at moderate volumes without any problems. I just ordered the Emotiva LPA-1 amp so I can run a full Ref HT and also use a couple channels for some house speakers.

If the Ref package is in your budget, go for it. Keep in mind that the Strata's have powered woofers, but a sub is not included. If you start with a mid-fi Yamaha, Denon, or Pioneer receiver w/ Pre-amp outputs, you can add an amp later if necessary.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis