Been away for a LONG time... recommend me a soundbar

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Hello all, it has been quite some time since I posted last. A lot has happened since I put together an audio system that I was happy with and now it's time to change things up. My system in my signature has been 98% overkill for a few years now and I would like to put the entire family room setup into storage until we move into a house with a larger finished basement. Short of the story, we adopted a greyhound who doesn't like super loud movies or music so we toned it down a fair amount. Eight months ago we added our first child and now we listen to everything at pretty calm levels as the family room is under the babies room. It was even my suggestion to do this haha, not the wives but I would like to replace my mongo system with a simple soundbar with a wireless sub. We have a decent Samsung in our bedroom and a cheapo Visio in the basement play room but for this one, we would like to get one that has good bass if called upon. We still want to be able to watch an action movie or listen to music and have it make some ruckus on the rare occasions we do.

My apologies if this has been discussed in length elsewhere but I didn't find anything with a quick search. What are some good soundbars out there that have nice clean crisp audio with decent bass to back it up if called upon? Ideally I would like to stay under $500 but I'm not opposed to spending $1000 on a soundbar if it is truly far superior. My days of having front speakers the size of coffins has run it's course and I want to move to a clean 75" samsung 4k and a soundbar on the wall with the cable & bluray box tucked away in a concealed spot.

Spread your knowledge on me once again fine people of Audioholics!

Thank you in advance!

ManBarra

ManBarra

Enthusiast
Have you checked out the Heos stuff by Denon? I heard that at a Magnolia and it sounded pretty awesome.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I have and I would prefer something that is not app controlled. We use Logitech remotes in all our rooms and would like to control it the same way.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a decent quality and sounding solution as well.

The new Bose 300 really seems like a non traditional Bose product... from the photos and video snippets on YouTube it appears to use a real tweeter, a few solid mid drivers (for its size) & actual ribbon drivers. And the optional sub also seems meaty no cheap plastic.

Curious what folks here have to say.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I hate soundbars.

Then recently I heard two that just stunned me. For an enclosed room with lower ceilings, the Yamaha YSP-5600 was shocking at just how well it worked. Jeff Dunham had nothing on that unit for throwing sound! It's pretty pricey, but truly effective. Well done, Yamaha.

A week later I was at the same audio-video dealer to pick up a receiver for my cousin and the salesman insisted I follow him upstairs. In the wide "hallway" outside their premium listening rooms there's a spot with a 90º wall about 8' wide, open on the left side. Sitting on a low credenza they have a pair of red KEF LS50 on either side of a ProJect RPM3 turntable, also in red, a small NAD amp and a Bluesound Node. As I approached I heard music playing and assumed it was the Node feeding the amp, driving the LS50's. They were all off. It was the Bluesound Pulse Soundbar mounted on the wall under the TV screen. Wow. Paul S. Barton's mark is clearly on that unit because it sounded REALLY good. It was really surprising at how much bass was produced, easily more than well-placed LS50's can do.

I hate soundbars, but would be proud to own either of those two!

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Thank you for the recommendations. I will definitely be reading up on those today while smoking turkeys! Also, I don't know you Ken but I like you already. Solid Jeff Dunham reference lol. The wife and I love that guy!

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Stopped and listened to the new Bose 300. It really was impressive and not Bose like.

With no sub it does a decent job at mid type bass. And vocals clear and crisp. With the optional sub - hits pretty low.

Does it equal a good 5.1 system, nope! But I'll take it still though.

Personally I'm deciding between this, Sony HTS9 or the Martin Logan

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Speaking solely for myself, I will never again spend a penny on any Bose product. That's not because it's not good but because I've lost all respect for a local (to me) company. My son worked for them in a tech support role but a year ago they decided to delegate his and about 349 other jobs to a contractor in the Philippines.

That made me bitter enough, but all the complaints about how their support has taken a dive just reinforces to me what a bad move that was. I'm boycotting. Please buy whatever makes you happy, though if you pass on Bose I want to thank you.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I ended up buying a Klipsch R-20B. It should be here tomorrow and I will report back how it sounds.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well, thanks for not going Blose.

Given the speakers you have and knowing the tweeters in those Klipsch soundbars aren't smoothed out as they do in the RP series speakers, I have a feeling I know what your reaction might be if you didn't audition before buying.

In contrast, the Bluesound Pulse soundbar (which my sister just bought and loves) is just so well-executed that it's well worth the 2.25x cost, to my ears. She didn't opt for a sub though it has the RCA pre-amp output for one and there's a wireless one being released any time now. By itself the thing goes low enough for most music, similar to a good bookshelf speaker. Twin 3/4" soft dome tweeters, twin 2" midrange, and twin 4" woofers.

Pulse Soundbar

If for some reason you don't care for the Klipsch I really encourage you to get an audition on that one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm looking at the HEOS one from Denon. Hopefully it really sounds as good as claimed.

We shall see.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Well, the sound is nothing amazing but it is plenty for what we use it 99% which is cable shows. I am annoyed however that the unit randomly powers up on it's own while connected via optical. I read this in several reviews and thought I would give it a shot. I may give it another week or two to review it some more and it may end up going back. I really wish their were more options out there that offer plenty of headroom in the deep bass department.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good of you to report back.

I'll take this opportunity to report back on another product, the Bluesound Pulse Soundbar, if you don't mind.

I took my sister up to my dealer about two weeks ago, and after hearing the Yamaha and a Klipsch, she bought the Pulse. It was her husband's birthday gift. I got there after he'd opened it and by then my sister had connected her phone via Bluetooth and was playing music. They had tried connecting the analog RCA cables it came with to their TV, but there was no joy. And he was NOT happy to learn there was no remote with the unit, and didn't want another anyhow.

I had her download the Bluesound app and I replaced the RCA interconnects with a digital optical cable I'd brought. I got it connected to the TV and we got sound, but could seem to control volume. Today I found the info I needed on the Bluesound "helpdesk" website. In the app you can select >Settings>Player>IR Remote and learn from the cable TV's remote to use it's power button to switch from streaming music to using the optical input, and that remote's volume up/down and mute buttons.

This is terrific! It now works so fluidly and sounds fantastic! A wireless sub can be added later if they want, though they're happy now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the sound is nothing amazing but it is plenty for what we use it 99% which is cable shows. I am annoyed however that the unit randomly powers up on it's own while connected via optical. I read this in several reviews and thought I would give it a shot. I may give it another week or two to review it some more and it may end up going back. I really wish their were more options out there that offer plenty of headroom in the deep bass department.
If you do end up returning it what do you think you'll try next?

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I am not sure what I will end up doing. I would like to stay under $750 simply because I have a 9 month old and would rather spoil her than myself. I still have a lot of digging to do but I happened to stumble across the Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 that I will do a little checking up on. It looks interesting but who knows. I am in an interesting position coming from a 'shake pictures off the wall' setup to wanting to drastically simplify but still retain a little gusto when the rare opportunity arises.

Thanks for all the input guys!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
A little OT, but:

Do other soundbars come with a separate remote, learn an existing remote or what?

Just curious because I thought it so nice with the Pulse Soundbar to simply use the BlueOS to select a function you want executed by a particular button on any existing IR remote, press that button on the remote and the app showed a checkmark to indicate the command had taken. For TV & simple surround sound, you never have to even look at the app once it's set up.

My brother-in-law was initially kind of annoyed that the expensive thing "didn't come with it's own remote" but is now even happier with it that the remote he uses for his cable box & TV selects the optical input (kicking out any music streaming it may be doing) and volume up/down & mute buttons on the remote now run the soundbar. Pretty fluid, simple operation which made me surprised and him happy.

P

Pearzilla

Enthusiast
I hate soundbars.

Then recently I heard two that just stunned me. For an enclosed room with lower ceilings, the Yamaha YSP-5600 was shocking at just how well it worked. Jeff Dunham had nothing on that unit for throwing sound! It's pretty pricey, but truly effective. Well done, Yamaha.

A week later I was at the same audio-video dealer to pick up a receiver for my cousin and the salesman insisted I follow him upstairs. In the wide "hallway" outside their premium listening rooms there's a spot with a 90º wall about 8' wide, open on the left side. Sitting on a low credenza they have a pair of red KEF LS50 on either side of a ProJect RPM3 turntable, also in red, a small NAD amp and a Bluesound Node. As I approached I heard music playing and assumed it was the Node feeding the amp, driving the LS50's. They were all off. It was the Bluesound Pulse Soundbar mounted on the wall under the TV screen. Wow. Paul S. Barton's mark is clearly on that unit because it sounded REALLY good. It was really surprising at how much bass was produced, easily more than well-placed LS50's can do.

I hate soundbars, but would be proud to own either of those two!
Hey do you have any suggestions on a good subwoofer to go with the ysp-5600?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not particularly. I don't know your room size, configuration, your goals on low frequency, aesthetics tastes nor your budget.

P

Pearzilla

Enthusiast
Not particularly. I don't know your room size, configuration, your goals on low frequency, aesthetics tastes nor your budget.
Sorry forgot to add that. The room size is 24x24 the config would be the sound bar sits below the TV hooked up to Blu ray player Nvidia shield and Intel nuc to mainly watch movies and TV shows. Funny know the answer to the next two questions. Budget I would prefer under 500 but can adjust if nothing under 500 pairs well with this sound bar. Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis