beats beating headphones?

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
hey, first off id like to say i love music, unfortunately im not talented in any way with regards to music and know very little about technical jargon... however im never without my music playing and was about to buy a pair of dre solo hd.

i had suspected tho, that they are mediocre in reality, research seems to confirm. can someone suggest a pair of headphones that are trendy looking like the beats range, noise cancelling as much as possible would be good. and also a pair that have better performance than the range. i would be willing to spend £75-100. if i dont need to tho i would obviously prefer not to ha ha. thanks for any advice you can offer:rolleyes:

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Check out the audio technica ath-m50; I love mine. They're fairly easy to drive and the SQ is excellent. They are well within your price range as well.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
hey, first off id like to say i love music, unfortunately im not talented in any way with regards to music and know very little about technical jargon... however im never without my music playing and was about to buy a pair of dre solo hd.

i had suspected tho, that they are mediocre in reality, research seems to confirm. can someone suggest a pair of headphones that are trendy looking like the beats range, noise cancelling as much as possible would be good. and also a pair that have better performance than the range. i would be willing to spend £75-100. if i dont need to tho i would obviously prefer not to ha ha. thanks for any advice you can offer:rolleyes:
I don't equate Monster Cable with quality products. Nor do I approve of their corporate bully tactics. The best headphones I've heard are the Etymotics Research ones I own.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai

Things that make ya go Hmmm.?:rolleyes:

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
Things that make ya go Hmmm.?:rolleyes:
thanks for the help, im missing it tho sorry!

my daughters are getting me the headphones for xmas and id rather not waste their money, so if u can think of anything please share.

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
I don't equate Monster Cable with quality products. Nor do I approve of their corporate bully tactics. The best headphones I've heard are the Etymotics Research ones I own.
That's kinda the view I am coming up with too, thought.. like most people who are not technically minded about audio I would imagine, that due to the beats "hype" that they were the way to go. usually only afford myself cheap earphones. I was planning on saving for a good pair, however my daughters want to buy me as a gift for Xmas.

I am noticing reviews giving them medium ratings and lots of breakages.. skull candy ones i last bought were totally rubbish, broken within 2 weeks. dont want to make this the case again.

thanks for your help

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

What type of headphones are looking for?
This is great resource for headphones - HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte

just like to add that its closed over the head headphones im after.:eek:

thinking around the lines of
phiaton-ms400

aerial7-tank-lolilan

v-moda-crossfade-lp-remote-nero ( however im thinking i may need a cane and a feather hat with those! )

my other concern tho, is that if i go too high up the scale, the power draw from my htc or ipod will not be enough to power good headphones, this is only an assumption, so any guidelines with regards to this would help too.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's kinda the view I am coming up with too, thought.. like most people who are not technically minded about audio I would imagine, that due to the beats "hype" that they were the way to go. usually only afford myself cheap earphones. I was planning on saving for a good pair, however my daughters want to buy me as a gift for Xmas.

I am noticing reviews giving them medium ratings and lots of breakages.. skull candy ones i last bought were totally rubbish, broken within 2 weeks. dont want to make this the case again.

thanks for your help
what are you doing to break headphones? :D

Grado, some Sony's(there is one from the 80s that's very good)
I imagine shure would be good, but I've never heard them.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
For closed headphones I would recommend.

AKG K271 MKII
Shure 440
Audio Technica ATH M50

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
what are you doing to break headphones? :D

Grado, some Sony's(there is one from the 80s that's very good)
I imagine shure would be good, but I've never heard them.
the skull candy ones were very poorly made, wire broke and i could not even solder to a new jack/plug i purchased, due to the wiring method, just daily wear made the cable break at the joint of the jack. only lasted 2-3 weeks. was gutted :(

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I like the Beats series. They are by no means accurate cans, but accurate cans are pretty boring. When I listen to Spotify or iTunes on my pretty decent home system, I use software EQ to boost the bass and treble because it sounds good. That's pretty much what Beats do. There's a ton of good, clean bass and I enjoy the sound.

Skyllcandy is trash.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
the skull candy ones were very poorly made, wire broke and i could not even solder to a new jack/plug i purchased, due to the wiring method, just daily wear made the cable break at the joint of the jack. only lasted 2-3 weeks. was gutted :(
I wish I could act surprised, but I'm not. You certainly have some winners listed.

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
I like the Beats series. They are by no means accurate cans, but accurate cans are pretty boring. When I listen to Spotify or iTunes on my pretty decent home system, I use software EQ to boost the bass and treble because it sounds good. That's pretty much what Beats do. There's a ton of good, clean bass and I enjoy the sound.

Skyllcandy is trash.
I hear you there, was very disappointed with the build quality of the skull candy. glad i got them cheap and not at the RRP.

I like the look of the beats and similarly the soul and sleek ones that are due out soon. YouTube has some seriously bad reviews for build quality of the beats too tho, and for the price tag id expect far more for my money. I am getting the vibe that they are good for the bass, but mediocre on every other front for the price range, as others are paying I do not want it wasted.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I just happened to be at Best Buy tonight and checked out the Beats again.

The $300 version was very good. They sound great. Excellent clarity and resolution, the expected abundance of tight bass, clear highs and mids. The Beats solos ($200 I think) sound very much like my $50 Sennheiser cans - good but not great, some bass but not a ton, a little muddy in the mids. I was surprised at how inferior they were. I definitely would not buy them.

The original Beats though. Love em. Comfortable as hell too.

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
I just happened to be at Best Buy tonight and checked out the Beats again.

The $300 version was very good. They sound great. Excellent clarity and resolution, the expected abundance of tight bass, clear highs and mids. The Beats solos ($200 I think) sound very much like my $50 Sennheiser cans - good but not great, some bass but not a ton, a little muddy in the mids. I was surprised at how inferior they were. I definitely would not buy them.

The original Beats though. Love em. Comfortable as hell too.
yeh was the lower priced ones i was giving a wide birth. dont see the need for me to spend 300 on headphones that will kill the phone in like 20 minutes so just go go more mid range. thanks for the help tho, confirmed my thoughts

B

bighairymoomoo

Audiophyte
anyone tried these " v moda Crossfade LP" . they are looking sweet. can customize them if buying direct, lifetime warranty ( half cost for new pair for life if they break) slightly over budget tho if buying direct and customization plus delivery to uk($260), throw in some nice in ear phones too tho. i can get for much cheaper at another site tho without customization. (£120) even cheaper from ebay...

thinking maybe these tho
Shure SRH550DJ as the other shure 440s seem a bit bulky, my concern is power draw.. are they gonna kill my phone or ipod?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis