Beat the recession! Highly cost effective DIY speaker build using the Audax AP170Z0

M

mc_chofo

Audioholic Intern
so from what i understand, what you are telling me is that my best option is tu cut that vent at 6" to get f3 48hz?

just to make things worst, the guy that i asked for help to build me the xover,asked for help to a friend of him to build one of the xovers, soi have two versions of them. this is frustrating.

or maybe i can remove one brace, or maybe two. maybe this helps or maybe i can build the braces outside insted of inside.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
so from what i understand, what you are telling me is that my best option is tu cut that vent at 6" to get f3 48hz?

just to make things worst, the guy that i asked for help to build me the xover,asked for help to a friend of him to build one of the xovers, soi have two versions of them. this is frustrating.

or maybe i can remove one brace, or maybe two. maybe this helps or maybe i can build the braces outside insted of inside.
Leave the cabinets and braces alone. You can not brace from the outside.

I'm telling you to have the vent 8.6" long, that is from flare end to flare end, not the length of the pipe. It will appear to have the best bass performance that way, even though F3 is 5 Hz higher.

If you want good results with F3 in the forties, then you will have to build new cabinets. I don't think the change in performance will be worth the effort. So leave everything as is and have the vent 8.6 inches long.

I hope those crossovers turn out alright. It is quite a complex circuit, and will take some experience to get right. One error on those boards, and the speakers will sound awful.

M

mc_chofo

Audioholic Intern

this is one of the xovers, is it well built or not?

Last edited:
M

mc_chofo

Audioholic Intern
well this is the second layout, but what do i do? do i leave them the way they are, or do i have to modify one of them or both or what do i do?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

well this is the second layout, but what do i do? do i leave them the way they are, or do i have to modify one of them or both or what do i do?

I'm sorry, but those crossover are badly built. The inductors are all on the same axis, and some are touching. There will be huge mutual inductance issues. I'm sorry but those crossovers have to be rebuilt.

The inductors should be separated as far as possible and their axes varied. I explained all this in a post earlier.

There is a reason these inductors are on opposite sides of the board, and the high pass filter's inductor is at right angles to the low pass filter's inductors.

I obviously can not tell of the components are properly connected.

If getting these crossovers right is a big problem for you, you can ship them to me and I can build them correctly.

M

mc_chofo

Audioholic Intern
i got stocked right now 'cause i can't get that damping material thati showed you before, i can only get another one that is half thinner, i alreadyhave the polyfill, i can use that one, but i just want to be shure.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i got stocked right now 'cause i can't get that damping material thati showed you before, i can only get another one that is half thinner, i alreadyhave the polyfill, i can use that one, but i just want to be shure.
I have spent all day moving snow, that is the reason for my tardy reply. we had a father and mother of a blizzard yesterday. The wind is kicking up and its -4 F -21C. It was pretty cold on the tractor!

How thick is it? It should be about 3/4" thick. May be you could clue a couple of layers together.

M

mc_chofo

Audioholic Intern
Hi doc how you doing, what can i say? thank you, thank you, thank you. they sound even better than i tought they will be. it's a shame that i lost those 5hz, even though, they sound great, as you said before, within the 2000-3000 range.

here's how they look finish, now i think i'm going to build the center one as mtm form.

even the pic is crap, you can have an idea of how they look, and sound even better than they look.

thank you Dr. you've being great help. thank you

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi doc how you doing, what can i say? thank you, thank you, thank you. they sound even better than i tought they will be. it's a shame that i lost those 5hz, even though, they sound great, as you said before, within the 2000-3000 range.

here's how they look finish, now i think i'm going to build the center one as mtm form.

even the pic is crap, you can have an idea of how they look, and sound even better than they look.

thank you Dr. you've being great help. thank you
Well done! You are a brave man. You took a little coaching, but you stayed on task. You have done a very creditable job on those speakers. You have saved yourself a huge sum of money. They should perform like speakers at the 1.5 to 2 K per pair price point.

I'm glad you are pleased with them. May be when you have a had a little longer to evaluate those speakers you could provide a detailed review for other members? It might be a good idea to start another thread for that, but I leave that up to you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you with this project.

S

Septisin

Audiophyte
a question...

Hello from Prague! You're doing a great job! I have been reading the thread about MC_CHOCO`s speakers with a real enthusiasm - being a greenhorn as him - it answered the majority of my questions concerning the speaker's construction. I have spent a lot of time on internet looking for a DIY set or project for speakers which would best suit my situation, but there was always something going wrong (dimensions, efficiency, price…). We have just
moved into a new house with a shelf system with predefined places for speakers 44.5" (h) x 12.6" (w) x 11.8" (d). I'd like to use a tube amplifier with output power app. 2 x 30 W at 8 ohms. The room is rectangular 16 x 30 ft. My budget is around 800 dollars. Could I kindly like to ask you for your help with the configuration of speakers and conception of suitable crossover?
Thanks a lot in advance!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello from Prague! You're doing a great job! I have been reading the thread about MC_CHOCO`s speakers with a real enthusiasm - being a greenhorn as him - it answered the majority of my questions concerning the speaker's construction. I have spent a lot of time on internet looking for a DIY set or project for speakers which would best suit my situation, but there was always something going wrong (dimensions, efficiency, price…). We have just
moved into a new house with a shelf system with predefined places for speakers 44.5" (h) x 12.6" (w) x 11.8" (d). I'd like to use a tube amplifier with output power app. 2 x 30 W at 8 ohms. The room is rectangular 16 x 30 ft. My budget is around 800 dollars. Could I kindly like to ask you for your help with the configuration of speakers and conception of suitable crossover?
Thanks a lot in advance!
We are a bit preoccupied with flood season at the moment? I need to know what speakers are available to you in Prague. Does you tube amp have a four ohm tap. For a room that big it will be virtually impossible to build a speaker with 8 ohm impedance, with currently available drivers.

S

Septisin

Audiophyte
We are a bit preoccupied with flood season at the moment? I need to know what speakers are available to you in Prague. Does you tube amp have a four ohm tap. For a room that big it will be virtually impossible to build a speaker with 8 ohm impedance, with currently available drivers.
Thanks a lot for your answer! I`ll try not to disturb you exceedingly. I
think that in the Czech Republic distributors of all important manufacturers
of drivers are present and even if I do not find them here, I`m quite sure
they will be available in Germany.

Yes, the amplifier has a 4 ohm tap. I did not buy the amplifier yet, they
have a model with 2x50 W output power, do you think that I should buy this
one?

I really appreciate your help!

F

FunkIncubator

Audioholic Intern
Beginning Speaker builder seeking assistance

Hi Dr. Mark! I've been reading this thread and I'm truly impressed with your expertise, and more impressed with your generosity! So, I am hoping I can take advantage of it:D.

I do have one speaker build under my belt. I hardly knew what I was doing, but I did it anyway and I'm very pleased with the results. Therefore, I am incurably addicted to DIY speaker building, and am considered the resident "expert" among family and friends.

Which leads me to my current project. I have offered to build a custom 5.1 setup for my wife's parents' living room. To meet the aesthetic demands of the Mrs., my father-in-law and I have decided to custom build a wall unit that will house the TV, LCR speakers and the sub. I know this is probably not optimal, but there is no convincing her of adding a pair of floorstanding speakers and a 2'x2'x2' wooden cube (sub) to the furniture arrangement she has chosen. It also seemed that building the speakers into the shelves would yeild much better performance than just placing bookshelf speakers in the cabinet.

I was originally drawn to this Audax design, but when I started poking around your blog/website, I was even more intrigued by your MTM using the Dayton RS drivers (I used the same ones in my DIY speakers) and the Beston Ribbon Tweeter. How do the two designs compare in terms of performance and ease of construction? The Dayton/Beston crossover appears simpler and cheaper at a glance, so I'm leaning toward that design.

Would you recommend either design for my setup? What information do you need to make an informed recommendation? Here is my sketch of the wall unit. It won't be built until this summer, so I can make some adjustments if it will improve the sound performance. The red spaces are my intended locations for the LCR speakers; that is open for adjustment, however, the overall dimensions can't be changed. I'd estimate the total room volume to be about 4000 cu. ft. because it is a big great room that opens to the dining area and kitchen. The living room itself is about 2400 cu. ft.

Any guidance you can give would be extremely appreciated, and if you're too busy, I completely understand. I'm hoping that you can simply recommend one of your already proven designs and that I won't need too much hand-holding after that as I build them myself.

Thank you for even reading my whole post. I am in your debt already.

Kyle

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Dr. Mark! I've been reading this thread and I'm truly impressed with your expertise, and more impressed with your generosity! So, I am hoping I can take advantage of it:D.

I do have one speaker build under my belt. I hardly knew what I was doing, but I did it anyway and I'm very pleased with the results. Therefore, I am incurably addicted to DIY speaker building, and am considered the resident "expert" among family and friends.

Which leads me to my current project. I have offered to build a custom 5.1 setup for my wife's parents' living room. To meet the aesthetic demands of the Mrs., my father-in-law and I have decided to custom build a wall unit that will house the TV, LCR speakers and the sub. I know this is probably not optimal, but there is no convincing her of adding a pair of floorstanding speakers and a 2'x2'x2' wooden cube (sub) to the furniture arrangement she has chosen. It also seemed that building the speakers into the shelves would yeild much better performance than just placing bookshelf speakers in the cabinet.

I was originally drawn to this Audax design, but when I started poking around your blog/website, I was even more intrigued by your MTM using the Dayton RS drivers (I used the same ones in my DIY speakers) and the Beston Ribbon Tweeter. How do the two designs compare in terms of performance and ease of construction? The Dayton/Beston crossover appears simpler and cheaper at a glance, so I'm leaning toward that design.

Would you recommend either design for my setup? What information do you need to make an informed recommendation? Here is my sketch of the wall unit. It won't be built until this summer, so I can make some adjustments if it will improve the sound performance. The red spaces are my intended locations for the LCR speakers; that is open for adjustment, however, the overall dimensions can't be changed. I'd estimate the total room volume to be about 4000 cu. ft. because it is a big great room that opens to the dining area and kitchen. The living room itself is about 2400 cu. ft.

Any guidance you can give would be extremely appreciated, and if you're too busy, I completely understand. I'm hoping that you can simply recommend one of your already proven designs and that I won't need too much hand-holding after that as I build them myself.

Kyle
I have been preoccupied as we have had a lot of ground water issues here. We had a lot of snow this winter and very cold temperatures. We had a warm up torrential rain and then snow and another freeze up. We have had a lot of wet basements round here and washed out roads. Since I used to live in the Red River Valley, I have been called on for advice. The situation in the Red River Valley remains critical. To top it all off this region may get up to a foot of wet snow starting tomorrow night, and then a warm up. So I expect more problems then.

I have also been reviewing a Sony HD radio receiver for MPR. I will post that here. It is interesting.

I will try and get to your project this week and give it some thought. I think it is a terrible pity in a room that size to limit yourself to the entertainment center. The speakers need much greater spacing in room that size. Would the boss go for an in wall solution?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Kyle
I think an in cabinet build is unacceptable for a room that size.

I suggest an Inwall or inceiling solution as well.

I know of the commercial brands Speakercraft is highly touted. Though TLS may have better ideas. I wonder if it might be possible to do a DIY in wall. I will look and see if I find any of these designs out there.

What's the budget?

F

FunkIncubator

Audioholic Intern
First of all, Mark, my inquiry comes with no expectations. I greatly appreciate that you would consider helping me, so you needn't apologize for tending to far more important things. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, and if its too much to deal with right now, please don't feel in any way obligated to assist me now.

Perhaps the volume measurement threw you off the scent. The room has a vaulted ceiling and opens to the kitchen. The living room itself is only 16' x 16'. The permanent fixtures already in the room (fireplace, custom sofa) dictated the width of the entertainment center. To answer your question, an entertainment center of some kind is a must. It's going to house the electronics and TV and there will be a tower of shelves on either side of the TV. Even if the speakers are not built into the furniture, they would essentially be located in the same place. If they were in the wall, they'd have to be placed outside the width of the EC, and I figured the EC would reflect the sound in some undesirable way.

Maybe I wasn't clear about my build ideas. My plan is to make the speakers part of the EC, not just build bookshelves and set them inside the cabinet. I'm building the EC also, so I can build the speaker enclosures to fit securely into their spot in the EC in a way that reduces vibrations.

Does that answer your concerns a bit about putting the speakers in the EC, or did I misunderstand your reasons for recommending an in-wall set-up instead of this.

Thanks to everyone who bothers to participate in this process!

N

neckthrough

Enthusiast
Comparison with other DIY designs

By any chance, have any of you folks seen AudioKarma's "Karma Indignia" DIY design? How would you say it compares to the Audax-based designs?

I was hoping to take a shot at a really cheap 2-channel DIY project, but unfortunately I live in an apartment and will have to use readymade cabinets. The Karma people are doing a group buy which should reduce the price of the partsexpress cabinet significantly.

I was actually looking at PE's $99 BR-1 kit, but it seems it was just discontinued a few days back. :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis