Beard And Hair Trimmers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My old Norelco finally bit the dust after roughly 15 years of service and I'm looking for another cordless one to replace it, but haven't been in the market in forever. Just wanted to get some feedback on what's best out there. I use it for the typical beard, ears and mustache maintenance, but it also needs to be powerful enough to shave my head if I get lazy and let my hair grow out a little bit. This is where my old Norelco would sometimes struggle and bog down. Waterproof would be a plus but not a necessity.

What are you guys using? I'm seeing Braun, Norelco, Remington, Wahl and a few others I don't even recognize. Do you love what you use or have a model you swear by? My budget is around 30 - 70 bucks or so if the upper end of it is justified through superior performance.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve been a Wahl user forever now, it seems.
I shaved my doo back in 95 or 96 using the pop up clipper on my old electric razor.
Big mistake. Took forever. :rolleyes: Was almost late to a gig.
Don’t really remember when I bought my first Wahl, but since… I haven’t been without one. My current one is corded. It does get in the way some, but nothing I can’t live with when it comes to mowing through 1week+ worth of growth.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My sister runs a salon and when I mentioned beard trimmers she got me a Wahl. It's just a small Wahl Peanut but I've had it for years with no issues. I have a pretty coarse beard and it works equally well on that and fine ear hair. It's corded but I never have to worry about the batteries wearing out. Will probably last me a lifetime.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I shaved my doo back in 95 or 96 using the pop up clipper on my old electric razor.
I used my all in one beard trimmer with the widest trimmer tip to shave my head yesterday and it stopped working. The motor still spins but the blades are shot now. I let my hair grow out some and it was too much for the trimmer. Fortunately I have a heavier duty electric dog trimmer/shaver on hand so I could finish the job. That bad boy went right through my hair without even trying.

Good thing too because I had hair still in spots and bald patches in others and a broken trimmer. Yes, there was a moment of panic as I imagined going to the store with bald patches in my hair to get another trimmer, lol. Of course I'd have just wore my beanie, but still...

Anyhoo, it got me thinking it'd be nice to have an all in one that can handle all of the trimming duties as well as shave my head when the need arises. I need something a little bit more heavy duty than my old one. I like the ones where you can swap out different blades. Like a shaver, a trimmer and a smaller fine detailer with a strong motor.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I need a new one too. Always used Phillips with great results. I do have an actual beard for now (winter-ish) so I want to make it look decent. Which means, trim under my lip because it seems to have super growth compared to the rest of my face.

Barber used a comb and scissors. Go figure.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My old musicology professor in college had full-on soup-strainer action going on. I’ve got a soft spot for true academics, but going to a grad level class at 7:40 and trying to decide whether that was breakfast or last nights dinner in his ‘stache was hard.
Anyway, I figured out a long time back you can’t be your own barber! :p it’s hard enough keeping my goatee centered. If I had to take scissors to my Face, I’d probably look like Mouth of Sauron. :eek:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I used my all in one beard trimmer with the widest trimmer tip to shave my head yesterday and it stopped working. The motor still spins but the blades are shot now. I let my hair grow out some and it was too much for the trimmer. Fortunately I have a heavier duty electric dog trimmer/shaver on hand so I could finish the job. That bad boy went right through my hair without even trying.

Good thing too because I had hair still in spots and bald patches in others and a broken trimmer. Yes, there was a moment of panic as I imagined going to the store with bald patches in my hair to get another trimmer, lol. Of course I'd have just wore my beanie, but still...

Anyhoo, it got me thinking it'd be nice to have an all in one that can handle all of the trimming duties as well as shave my head when the need arises. I need something a little bit more heavy duty than my old one. I like the ones where you can swap out different blades. Like a shaver, a trimmer and a smaller fine detailer with a strong motor.
Not much for uni-taskers in my utility drawer, but it’s damn hard to replace the right tool for the job! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm changing my mind on the requirement to be able to shave my head. The doggo clippers I used actually worked really, really well. Smooth like butter after trying to force my poor beard trimmer through there. We only ever used those trimmers one time on a dog we no longer have so they're practically brand new and were easy to clean up for human use. It's corded, but heavy duty so not a huge deal. It went through my hair like it wasn't even there and I had some significant growth. I'll just use those again if I need to do my hair again.

So I just need a beard trimmer/clippers. Something adjustable for length. I keep coming back to this one.

$30 - $40 seems to be the sweet spot for features and quality. I like this one too, but getting kinda pricey.

Here's a cheapy I found.

I'd feel like I was buying Pyle gear with the cheapy one, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Stick with Wahl. They are the barber shop standard. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Stick with Wahl. They are the barber shop standard. ;)
Those are all Wahl. Speaking of which, the $40 looks like the winner to me after flipping through all of the images! Check out everything that comes with it!

4 different blade attachments!

713dkdUqbfL._SL1500_.jpg

An adjustable guide!

71Ouo5LtVoL._SL1500_.jpg

And more! Goof-proof comb guides and cleaning brushes too!

81QfitAvr9L._SL1500_.jpg

All for $40. I think I'm gonna order it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those are all Wahl. Speaking of which, the $40 looks like the winner to me after flipping through all of the images! Check out everything that comes with it!

View attachment 52928

An adjustable guide!

View attachment 52927

View attachment 52929

(I was on my phone... hate playing with links on my phone! :p )

I will say one of the best purchases I made to support my Wahl is their oil.
I used to be very sparing with it but found that oiling lightly before and after usage really improved functionality.
I store it with the blades pulled back. I oil it lightly before use, clean it after, then oil it lightly again after cleaning, and put the blade cover on.
Anal, but it's basic knife care and I know you can appreciate that! ;)
Nothing worse than clippers that are pinching your whiskers!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
(I was on my phone... hate playing with links on my phone! :p )

I will say one of the best purchases I made to support my Wahl is their oil.
I used to be very sparing with it but found that oiling lightly before and after usage really improved functionality.
I store it with the blades pulled back. I oil it lightly before use, clean it after, then oil it lightly again after cleaning, and put the blade cover on.
Anal, but it's basic knife care and I know you can appreciate that! ;)
Nothing worse than clippers that are pinching your whiskers!
Looks like the one I'm eyeballing comes with some oil too. I went ahead and ordered it.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have a rechargable Wahl. I don't know the model number, but that thing has been a real work horse. I've had it now for probably 20 years and it just keeps going. I apply some oil to the cutter once in a while, but that's all I do.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 52928

An adjustable guide!

View attachment 52927

View attachment 52929

That's a pretty sweet deal for $40.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since paying for haircuts became somewhat pointless due to general baldness about 30 years ago I asked the gal who cut my hair for a good option at home for just maintaining a bald head, she got me a Wahl like she used (it's marked The Designer). I wore that out somewhat, it got really noisy, after something like 20 years (probably not the best at cleaning and oiling it)....still have it and it still works, just buzzes loudly and even the magic Wahl oil helped but not completely. Got another Wahl ( and just did a de-furring session this morning with it as a matter of fact). Had to go look at what model I have, it's not marked but kinda looks like this one...came as a set with a battery-powered mini trimmer for facial hair....but seems even the main units have become battery powered now.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like the one I'm eyeballing comes with some oil too. I went ahead and ordered it.
I still have a new unopened Remmington but at that price I might order one myself. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Check and see if your current trimmer has replaceable blades. You might just be able to order blades for it. If not, you can probably order blade guards to give you different lengths for beard/head/etc. I've got one trimmer from Oster and several different blade attachments for it to shave/trim hair to various lengths.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis