BDP-95 goes kaput already

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Just two months after I received my new Oppo BDP-95 player, I have had to send it back for warranty service.

On SACD's and DVD-A's, the player's analog outputs (both stereo and multichannel) produce exceedingly high levels of hiss and distortion and, in the worst instances, a gurgling sound as if the music is coming from under water. (I had real fears for my speakers with the sounds I was hearing.) This on the same discs that played beautifully just days before. Indeed, what I had been hearing I can only characterize as stunningly realized musical reproduction.

I'm frankly rankled by the reception I have received from the folks at Oppo service. Their attitude appears to be, no matter the issue you present them with, it must be attributable to improper setup.

First they insisted I upgrade to the beta version firmware and reset the factory defaults.
We highly recommend upgrading the firmware for the player and Resetting Factory Defaults as we find that most errors related to corrupted audio are due to something failing in the firmware or a Setup Menu option being set incorrectly.
A firmware/configuration issue? Somehow I had my doubts but I went ahead and updated the firmware and reset the defaults as requested; it had no effect on the problem. Nevertheless, they continued on the same line of thought.
If you have adjusted the speaker Trims (Audio Processing->Speaker Configuration), and you set these back to their defaults (0), do you experience the same distortions?
Answer: Yes.

Then this bombshell:

We can have the player returned for repair servicing, but this would be the first case of a player which has malfunctioned in the manner which you have described. We have found most errors associated to distortion, high noise floor, and other errors to occur due to configuration errors and not the player itself. [emphasis added]
I find this hard to believe. They even contradict themselves. Moreover, the implied notion that the problem must be due to operator error is nothing short of infuriating. :mad:

Oppo says they will not replace the player because it's beyond the 30 day trial period. However, I have little confidence that they will look at the problem seriously, much less fix it. I wonder if I would be better off just buying another one from another e-tailer than hoping for a solution from Oppo service. (I mean if what they say is really true?) :confused:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Stuff happens, even with the best units.

If you're dead-set on simply replacing the player, then do so, but I see this as cutting off your nose to spite your face..

But, personally, I'd give them a shot at fixing the problem. It IS under warranty. But, then again, it's your money and decision.

P.S. If you do decide to throw it out, I'll pay shipping if you send it to me. :D

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
free shipping

It's on its way back to Mountain View CA so it's out of my hands for now. ;)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Dave,

I wouldn't worry about Oppo's Tech Service though, as they're top notch, AFAIK... I'm sure they'll repair/repalce your BDP properly ;)

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Product on its way

I got a boilerplate e-mail from Oppo this morning letting me know that my "product" was ready to be shipped. A couple of hours before, I got a shipment notification from FedEx with the following message, I assume from the Oppo service people:
Your OPPO product has been replaced and is on its way back to you.
So, I guess the only question then is whether the "product" has the same S/N.

Seriously though, I take this as good news.

In the meantime, I have re-acquainted myself with my vinyl collection, which sounds better than I can ever remember on the Parasound P7 pre-amp that I bought to go with the Oppo product. :)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds pretty similar if not a BETTER response than you'd get with many other companies. I do understand being upset about a product having issues in such a short time, but it is being addressed rather quickly, as is usually the case with Oppo in my experience. The few times I have had to deal with their service, they've been excellent. I've been to their facility in person a number of times and they are nice people. While the frustration is understandable, it sounds like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Every company has lemons; you just happened to be the one to get one this time.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Just be thankful that this happened during the warranty period. Nothing sucks more than your warranty period expiring and the equipment running into issues. Sounds like they took care of the problem and you're receiving a new unit. If what they said is true, your unit being the first, then that can be a good thing for them, because now they are aware of a potential problem. I know it can be frustrating for you, but look at the positive side of things, you got to re-introduce you vinyl collection and it sounds like you're having a good time doing so. Stay positive.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Sounds pretty similar if not a BETTER response than you'd get with many other companies. I do understand being upset about a product having issues in such a short time, but it is being addressed rather quickly, as is usually the case with Oppo in my experience. The few times I have had to deal with their service, they've been excellent. I've been to their facility in person a number of times and they are nice people. While the frustration is understandable, it sounds like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Every company has lemons; you just happened to be the one to get one this time.
I don't doubt what you say about them. However, what you call making a mountain out of a mole hill, I see as simple arrogance on their part.

We'll see how it all "plays" out. ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't doubt what you say about them. However, what you call making a mountain out of a mole hill, I see as simple arrogance on their part.

We'll see how it all "plays" out. ;)
Considering the average mass market brand such as Sony, Panasonic, etc... get's a 2-3% failure rate in Consumer Reports, it is not "unbelievable" to assume that every once in a great while you may buy a product from a reputable manufacturer that doesn't work correctly. While the margin of QC on these companies is considerable in proportion to Oppo you might assume that it is not only possible for Oppo to ship a faulty unit, but likely. Take for example your problem. You didn't begin to have problems with it until 2 months had passed. Even if Oppo tested every unit that came off the assembly line they would not have caught the malfunction in your unit. It literally could be as simple as a improperly manufactured part (resistor, transistor, IC, capacitor, etc) or a bad solder joint that has caused the Blu-ray player to malfunction. They can't logically stress test every part that goes into the Blu-ray player as it would cost astronomical amounts of money.

Your perspective of the situation is enhanced because it is you who is in the situation. As a person who has been in your situation countless times before I can honestly understand why you would feel that way, but I do not believe John was being arrogant. His observation of your expression against Oppo seems to be logical to me.

*not trying to be arrogant*:)

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Who's John?

Someone must know something I don't. I was referring to the reception my problem got at Oppo.

I don't know anyone here named John. If I offended John, please accept my apologies because it was certainly not my intent.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Someone must know something I don't. I was referring to the reception my problem got at Oppo.

I don't know anyone here named John. If I offended John, please accept my apologies because it was certainly not my intent.
I think Seth misread what you said, and that would be me :) You said arrogance on THEIR part, not on mine.

I can see how it can come off like that, but you have to understand that this is a VERY small company. We aren't talking about a Sony or a Panasonic, we are talking about a company that probably has less than 100 people. For them to put out gear that not only competes with the top brands, but in most cases even bests them...not just once, but consistently over the last maybe 10 years, is pretty amazing. And to do it at a fraction of the price...well not everything is going to be 100% bullet proof. Something has to give when you are trying to hit a price point, so some concessions have to be made. I've bought things from big manufacturers that have had to go back too...*cough* Sony *cough*.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've bought things from big manufacturers that have had to go back too...*cough* Sony *cough*.
If I had a nickel for every Sony product I have bought that broke at some point I'd have about .45. Screw Sony!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The funny thing about Sony is, the less expensive stuff runs forever LOL. I have CD and DVD players that are at least 10yrs old now that have no issues.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...which sounds better than I can ever remember on the Parasound P7 pre-amp that I bought to go with the Oppo product. :)
May want to have your memory tested;):D You know the saying, right? ;):D

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall

It sounds like you fell down the rabbit hole of customer relations. I spend some of my work time doing complaint responses and the worst case scenario isn't when the product is bad but when the person on the responding end is either lazy, dumb or overconfident and doesn't actually read/hear the question or think about what to say. A response like, "this never happens" is the worst of them all because what you're telling the complainer is, "you're dumb and don't know what you're talking about". The end result is that the company ends up with you being disgruntled twice, once for the broken player and the hassle of sending it back and then twice when the "help" person tells you that you don't hear what you hear. I'd be pissed too.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
In the meantime, I have re-acquainted myself with my vinyl collection, which sounds better than I can ever remember on the Parasound P7 pre-amp that I bought to go with the Oppo product. :)
I've got the same pre-amp, use it for Marantz TT and Denon multi-disc player.

And LPs do sound really good playing through the P7, as do the CDs.
Of coarse, it also gets duty as a sacd/dvd-a playback system.

May want to have your memory tested You know the saying, right?
If you've never used any Parasound Halo models (P7), then you don't know how good it really gets.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
DAVEE70,

Well, its been three weeks since you last posted! So how is the new -95 working?

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
DAVEE70,

Well, its been three weeks since you last posted! So how is the new -95 working?
More like months.

I returned it for a refund and bought another one. Oppo would only warrant the replacement unit for 30 days.

I love the new one, especially the DSD direct decoding option. Even on CDs, it bests other players I've heard that have high quality DACs.

As I see it, the Parasound P7 and the BDP-95 are made for each other.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
More like months.

I returned it for a refund and bought another one. Oppo would only warrant the replacement unit for 30 days.

I love the new one, especially the DSD direct decoding option. Even on CDs, it bests other players I've heard that have high quality DACs.

As I see it, the Parasound P7 and the BDP-95 are made for each other.
Oppo was not going to honor your original warranty period? hrm.... kinda seems like miscommunication there, I can't beleive that.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Oppo was not going to honor your original warranty period? hrm.... kinda seems like miscommunication there, I can't beleive that.
Believe what you like. Oppo placed it in writing on the invoice. No room there for any communication error.

My guess is that the replacement unit may have been returned by someone else, though that is only a guess. The 30 day warranty was in writing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis