BDP-83 Drawer Issue?

• Thread starter PearlcorderS701
  • Start date
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Anyone else with an OPPO BDP-83 get quirky behavior from its drawer mechanism sometimes? There are moments where the player won't respond to an Open/Close command from the remote initially, and then take like 30 seconds or so to react...

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I've had a similar problem with my 83. When I hit the open/close button on the player, there's a noise like it's trying to open but is being blocked -- the front panel says "open" but it isn't. I hit the button again, the panel says "closed". I hit the button one more time, and the drawer opens.

I thought it was just a mechanical glitch with my player; interesting to find it's happening with others. I haven't installed the beta firmware (Aug. 24) . . . I wonder if that would do the trick.

cheers,
supervij

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I've had a similar problem with my 83. When I hit the open/close button on the player, there's a noise like it's trying to open but is being blocked -- the front panel says "open" but it isn't. I hit the button again, the panel says "closed". I hit the button one more time, and the drawer opens.

I thought it was just a mechanical glitch with my player; interesting to find it's happening with others. I haven't installed the beta firmware (Aug. 24) . . . I wonder if that would do the trick.

cheers,
supervij
Hey, 'vij!

Thank you for replying and giving me your input; indeed, it is interesting to see other people having the issue. If the firmware you mentioned was the latest batch which changed the menu options and included a "DISPLAY" submenu, well then I did download that version and the issue with the drawer not opening or closing still remains.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You should contact Oppo about that one. Firmware isn't likely to have anything to do with that. I have had something similar maybe once or twice, but on the whole, it works without issue.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Indeed, J; upon second thought, that isn't something that would be affected by firmware updates -- you're right. This is more of a physical response issue with the hardware.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I have not had that specific problem. I have had the drawer delay while it seems to be thinking or stopping the disk. But it eventually opens the drawer. I have not updated the firmware either. I probably should.:eek:

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I have not had that specific problem. I have had the drawer delay while it seems to be thinking or stopping the disk. But it eventually opens the drawer. I have not updated the firmware either. I probably should.:eek:
From what I understand, these firmware updates won't fix these "physical hardware" quirks like the drawer not opening and such; I know the company just released another update since the one in May, which is the last version I loaded...but their website is very vague on the fact that this latest update can actually introduce bugs into the player if you don't need the changes to be made based on what the firmware is trying to fix -- don't ask. I have been going back and forth with them in private emails for the last two days about this...

As for your update, did you ever do an update to the BDP-83 since getting it? When did you buy yours? If you bought it recently, it should have recent updates already installed -- I got mine during the holidays last year as a gift, so I needed to download and install May's updates myself. To be honest, all that last update seemed to do was change the menu structure of the Setup Menu, which was quite annoying to be honest after I got comfortable using the old menu system...:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis