M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
My wife and I have been working for about a year on our dedicated theater build, and I thought it was about time to show it off.

We have done all of the work in the theater except for the carpeting, which was installed on Tuesday. We were even crazy enough to build custom DVD shelves. "IKEA isn't good enough, said the boss". We got all of our wood from a sawyer and ran all of the trim on a moulder at my dad's friend's wood shop.

Framing and audio rack - Jan 2007
Insulation and Drywall - Oct 2007
Priming - Nov 2007
Painting - Nov 2007
Seating arrives
Riser - Nov 2007
Trim
DVD Shelving
Carpet - Dec 2007

All done (except for room treatments)

Here's the whole collection on one page.

Teaser pics:

Enjoy! Any questions or comments are welcome.

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
Wow!

Very well documented! You've certainly got something there to be proud of. I'm very impressed... and a little bit jealous. It's posts like this that inspire me to convert my bonus room into something similar. Your detailed construction photos have given me some very good ideas as well.
...What's that quote?..."Some of my greatest ideas have not been my own." :D Anyway, thanks for taking the time to document and share the process.
What is the dimension of your room? It looks similar in size to what I'd be working with. Thanks again!

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the kind words.

The room dimensions are 13 x 18 x 8.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Very Very Nice:)

Nice color choices and wow the seating is nice. Did you buy them locally and what brand are they? I am going to be buying some chairs soon and prices are great online but shipping will kill you.

Now it is time to sit back, turn it up and enjoy!!

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
The seating is from American TV in Rockford, IL.

They had Berkline chairs there, but there was no way they were going to fit in our budget. These chairs are relatively reasonably priced Coaster Co. of America seats.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
wow, very nice HT! no plans for front projection?

Last edited:
M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
I do have plans for front projection.

When I feel like taking the 3K plunge I am going for 92 or 100" screen with Panasonic PT-AE2000E.

The 48" Mits will have to do for the time being.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Nice system! I too have th VSX-1015TX. It's a pretty decent receiver although now becoming a bit dated with the new HD surround capable receivers coming out. I'm not quite ready to part with mine just yet as I have other items in the cue to be upgraded.

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
I think the 1015 is a great receiver. It has great features for the money.

I picked the 1016 for my parents and I am not as keen about how it looks. The 1015 has the super sleek cover, whereas the 1016 has a mish mash of exposed buttons. The performance is almost identical.

I have no desire to upgrade it until I have decided on an HD DVD format.

R

rungriot

Enthusiast
not to beat a dead horse, but i gotta say that you did a great job on your build! thanks for sharing and i too saw a few things that i might copy for my own basement theater remodel. specifically, the detailed photos of the dvd shelving and rack case were fantastic ;) and what i am gonna try to duplicate.

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
I got my initial idea for the dvd shelves from the Black and Decker website.

The plans were spot on and worked very well. I just had to compensate for the unsquare (is that a word) wall with shims because the previous homeowners did an interesting job putting up walls.

Here are the instructions: Black and Decker Floor to Ceiling Shelves

As far as the audio rack, I just used veneered 3/4 ply, and improvised. I used a piece of pegboard as a guide for the shelf holes, and put a stop on the drill bit as to not go too deep.

I used dadoes and metal shelf rails for the dvd shelves.

Last edited:
C

CaptainAudio

Audioholic Intern
Great looking room!!!

My wife and I are currently going through the same situation. Doing all the work ourselves except for the carpet.

After looking at your progress along the way and now the finished room (with the exception of treatmnets etc.) makes me wonder "why am I sitting at my computer and looking at pictures rather then getting my sorry arse back downstairs and get mine done?"

Thanks for making me feel layzie

A

abaylor

Audiophyte
Great looking room!!!

My wife and I are currently going through the same situation. Doing all the work ourselves except for the carpet.

After looking at your progress along the way and now the finished room (with the exception of treatmnets etc.) makes me wonder "why am I sitting at my computer and looking at pictures rather then getting my sorry arse back downstairs and get mine done?"

Thanks for making me feel layzie
You can't feel too lazy. We started this last November. We pretty much took the whole summer off though. We decided that we wanted to have it finished for Christmas Eve this year so we were working nonstop (or it felt like it) to finish it.

We got pretty burnt out toward the end. Take your time and you won't get burnt out and you will still be happy with the way it turns out.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
My wife and I have been working for about a year on our dedicated theater build, and I thought it was about time to show it off.
Outstanding!!

I love what you've done. Nice work!!

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the 1015 is a great receiver. It has great features for the money.

I picked the 1016 for my parents and I am not as keen about how it looks. The 1015 has the super sleek cover, whereas the 1016 has a mish mash of exposed buttons. The performance is almost identical.

I have no desire to upgrade it until I have decided on an HD DVD format.
I couldn't agree more!! Based on what I'm hearing...... you shouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade either.

A

abaylor

Audiophyte
I'm sure you figured this out by I am mbaylor's wife. I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind responses.

We have been trying to enjoy the room a little each night while still cleaning up the rest of the house. Construction sure makes a mess of your house so if you plan on doing it be prepared. :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I like the picture of you cleaning the floor:D

Nice job on everything and I am glad that you are involved with this crazy past-time; makes it easier on the Hubby!
I'm sure you figured this out by I am mbaylor's wife. I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind responses.

We have been trying to enjoy the room a little each night while still cleaning up the rest of the house. Construction sure makes a mess of your house so if you plan on doing it be prepared. :)

C

CaptainAudio

Audioholic Intern
So that means the M stands for Mike and the A stands for Aaron??

Either way it's fantastic that you are there every step of the way. My wife has also been very very helpful during the whole project. She wants to be envolved as much as she can which is really nice. Best part for her is once the basement is done she gets a new kitchen :D One can only do so many projects at once but that is our next one. The kitchen reno will start a major domino effect though as it's connected to dinning room, living room, main entrance, and hallway. Yikes!

Enjoy that room U 2

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis