Bass Crossover Setting (Receiver + Subwoofer) Question

B

blued888

Audioholic
Let us say my receiver has variable bass crossover settings such as 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz. On the other hand my subwoofer has a variable cut-off knob labeled 40Hz to 120Hz.

If I turn up the knob on the subwoofer to 120Hz, and then I set the receiver's bass crossover setting to 160Hz or 200Hz... Will the subwoofer follow the setting on the receiver even though on it's knob it only goes up to 120Hz?

I would like to set the crossover setting higher since I will be pairing the subwoofer with satellite speakers (reproducing lowest frequencies of 160Hz to 180Hz at best).

Thanks!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Let us say my receiver has variable bass crossover settings such as 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz. On the other hand my subwoofer has a variable cut-off knob labeled 40Hz to 120Hz.

If I turn up the knob on the subwoofer to 120Hz, and then I set the receiver's bass crossover setting to 160Hz or 200Hz... Will the subwoofer follow the setting on the receiver even though on it's knob it only goes up to 120Hz?

I would like to set the crossover setting higher since I will be pairing the subwoofer with satellite speakers (reproducing lowest frequencies of 160Hz to 180Hz at best).

Thanks!
If you set the subs x-over lower than your receiver's than the sub will be determining the cut off point. IMO its better to bypass the subs x-over all together. You can do this by setting the sub to its highest point and this will allow the receiver to determine the cut point which you'll be selecting according to your speakers.

B

blued888

Audioholic
When the low pass filter mode on the specifications of the subwoofer indicates "active/bypass," does this mean that the x-over is bypassed when the knob is turned all the way up?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
When the low pass filter mode on the specifications of the subwoofer indicates "active/bypass," does this mean that the x-over is bypassed when the knob is turned all the way up?
I don't think I follow. Is the "active/bypass" you're referring to a switch on the sub itself, as I would presume it to be? If so, if it's set to "bypass", then your knob does nothing. If it's set to "Active", then the knob is used to set the crossover point of the sub, but as billy p said, I would leave the crossover function to your receiver and bypass the sub's altogether.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
blued888, what type of subwoofer do you have? You might want to check the manual and see what “bypass“ actually does for your sub. AFAIK even when set to “bypass” many subwoofers have a low pass filter that still kicks in but at a much higher frequency like 150hz to 200hz or even a little higher. If for example you are using an Axiom EP500 set to bypass it is still hard wired to roll off frequencies above 100hz. So with the EP500 subwoofer if you set your receiver to 160hz then you would loose quite a bit between 110hz and 150hz. Just something to keep in mind

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis