Basic music server questions

J

josko

Audioholic
I have some very basic music server questions - I'm very new at this and have been going nuts in the morass of acronyms and capabilities without really finding what I'd like.

I have ~1000 LP's I've slowly been transcribing to .wav's and would like to listen to them on my 2.0 analog system (Levinson 380s preamp, etc.)

The OPPO 83SE has almost what I need: a way to select music files from a USB disk and play them through high-quality DAC's. Only problem is, it does not accept lossless formats. :mad:

So I'm looking for something which will let me select a lossles music file from a disk (via a GUI) and play it through high-quality DAC's compatible with an analog preamp.

Even if OPPO announced they'd support lossless formats in 6 months or so, I'd grab one now and be happy, but they weren't able to even give me any timeframe.

So what could I get instead?

In the 'wish' priority would be an ability to play digital video files, as well, to save me the trouble of inserting disks and a means of 'ripping' video disks to files.

Thanks so much in advance.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What I use is a Western Digital TV Live ($120 at Amazon) however I use digital out to my receiver and use the receiver's DACs to do the conversion. One of the reasons that I chose it is it plays the lossless flac format. I have several hundred CDs that I spent hours ripping and I'm not willing to settle for less. These are about the size of a thick paperback book and include a remote. They have no internal storage but have 2 USB ports for external drives or a wireless USB network adapter plus a 10/100 Ethernet port.

J

josko

Audioholic
Thanks - it's almost what I've been looking for; however, I can't find any info on the quality of its' audio DACS. It also doesn't have an analog stereo (RCA) output. So it still looks like I'd need an optical to analog (RCA) or HDMI to analog converter in another box. I'm nervous that composite A/V signal DACS give up a lot of signal quality.

Is there a similar unit with audiophile-quality analog stereo outputs?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sonos units are pretty good,
Logitech Jukebox are also an option (both play flac) and have analog outs

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes because I want to spend $2k on a jukebox only to play my tunes back on a $30 pair of Logitech satelites. :) :) :)
My what a sharp I you have! I didn't even notice that...

They really should upgrade to at least $80 Creative T20 speakers like I have on my computer desk. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My what a sharp I you have! I didn't even notice that...

They really should upgrade to at least $80 Creative T20 speakers like I have on my computer desk. :)
My Behringer MS16 [$65] beats your $80 T20 :p

J

josko

Audioholic
Thanks guys. Logitech Transporter is just what I was looking for.

...and the tunes'll come out of a pair of B&W 802's. Hopefully that's up to snuff. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis