Basic DVD and loudspeaker questions.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
If you have a DVD player that has either coaxial or optical output, can you plug the coaxial straight into a set of 5.1 speakers without having a A/V receiver?

jaseman

jaseman

Enthusiast
If you have a DVD player that has either coaxial or optical output, can you plug the coaxial straight into a set of 5.1 speakers without having a A/V receiver?
NO. The COAX and OPTICAL cables carry the digital sound signal. Both are equal in quality. They need to be inserted into an AV receiver. Then you connect your speakers to the receiver with speaker wire.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Are your speakers active? There is no amplification of the signal coming from the DVD player to drive the speakers.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
NO. The COAX and OPTICAL cables carry the digital sound signal. Both are equal in quality. They need to be inserted into an AV receiver. Then you connect your speakers to the receiver with speaker wire.
Right, so the DVD player doesn't decode the sound, it just outputs the raw information, and that's why one needs an amp?

Can I assume that when one plugs either optical or coax from a DVD player straight into a TV's coax/optical input, the TV simply pumps out 2ch stereo?

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
Are your speakers active? There is no amplification of the signal coming from the DVD player to drive the speakers.
I've joined this forum to try and determine what type of speakers and receiver to buy and how much to spend, etc, etc.

My TV room is 3.4 x 3.2mtrs.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Most DVD players have both digital outputs (coax and optical) that need to be connected to a receiver, which will decode the signal and amplify it for the speakers.

Most DVD players also have 6 analog outputs (5.1 channels), but these signals must be amplified before being sent to your speakers. This can be done with a receiver as well.

Generally, you will have a DVD player hooked up to a receiver with an optical or coax connection. The receiver decodes and amplifies the signals for the speakers.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There are speakers that are so-called 'digital' speakers (Polk has a new line of them). These types of speakers have a Dolby Digital decoder built into them and may also be active (amplified). You could connect a dvd player directly to them if they are active.

Some computer speakers also have built in decoders and could be connected directly.

IMO, neither option is good for home theater. You need a receiver as it does so much more than simply decode digital signals.

As far as TVs go, I have never seen one with a digital input. The majority of them have digital outputs but they are only for the case where you use the TV's built in tuner (instead of a cable box or sat receiver) and want to send the digital signal to a receiver or processor for decoding.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
As far as TVs go, I have never seen one with a digital input. The majority of them have digital outputs but they are only for the case where you use the TV's built in tuner (instead of a cable box or sat receiver) and want to send the digital signal to a receiver or processor for decoding.

Can I plug a DVD player straight into a TV...?
Sorry for such basic questions:eek:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Can I plug a DVD player straight into a TV...?
Sorry for such basic questions:eek:
Yes, if you want to use the TV speakers for the sound.

Some people like to run video directly to the TV and audio to the receiver and you could do it that way too.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
Yes, if you want to use the TV speakers for the sound.

Some people like to run video directly to the TV and audio to the receiver and you could do it that way too.

Thanks.
I was wondering if you could also help me make sense of a few other A/V basics, ie, .....is a analogue signal always 4:3?
If so, does that mean that ALL DVD recorders with analogue tuners will record everything in 4:3?

FYI...I was thinking of picking up a SD plasma, but I'm unsure of how aspect ratio's will come into play.
Plasma's resolution is 854x480.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
854 x 480 is ED ('Enhanced Definition') and is just slightly more resolution than DVD but is a 16:9 aspect ratio [854/480=1.78:1=16:9]. Most ED televisions can accept HD resolutions like 1280 x 720 (720p) and scale it down to 854 x 480.

If you are using the tuner in the TV and can receive 16:9 broadcasts (via digital cable/satellite/antenna) they should be shown in 16:9. If it receives a 4:3 broadcast then it depends on the TV settings as to whether it will show it in 4:3 (with black bars on the sides) or will stretch it to fill the screen.

If the DVD recorder is connected directly to the cable but only has an analog tuner then it will only tune the analog channels, which will all be 4:3, and will only record in that format.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
If the DVD recorder is connected directly to the cable but only has an analog tuner then it will only tune the analog channels, which will all be 4:3, and will only record in that format.
So I guess widescreen is always a digital signal, either SD or HD.
If I get a DVD recorder with a built in SD tuner, that should solve the aspect ratio problems because I assume 4:3 stretched will look unatural....?

I have SD cable TV and also HDTV on the PC, but I really only watch cable.

If what I've said is correct, then the only thing I'm unsure of is how I connect the DVD recorder to the Plasma, ie, if HDMI doesn't work out for some reason, could I just use component for video and 2 RCA's for L and R stereo?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If I get a DVD recorder with a built in SD tuner, that should solve the aspect ratio problems because I assume 4:3 stretched will look unatural....?
It depends. TVs have lots of different 'stretch' modes and some of them look ok stretching 4:3 to 16:9.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how I connect the DVD recorder to the Plasma, ie, if HDMI doesn't work out for some reason, could I just use component for video and 2 RCA's for L and R stereo?
Yes, component video can carry HD signals but you'd want to use a digital audio connection if at all possible and if the dvd recorder has digital audio connections. If you are connecting the dvd recorder from the plasma then you don't need to worry about the tuner in the recorder because you won't be using it - the TV will be doing the tuning and just sending the audio and video out to the recorder.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
TBH, I don't know how many digital sound inputs the plasma will have, but would a HDMI-HDMI from DVD to plasma work for SDTV...?

I'm going out now to have a look at the TV......thanks for helping me MDS.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
TBH, I don't know how many digital sound inputs the plasma will have, but would a HDMI-HDMI from DVD to plasma work for SDTV...?
HDMI will carry SD and HD from the dvd player to the TV. I think you are using the cable straight from the wall to the TV (thus using the TV tuner) and so no other connection is necessary for viewing cable regardless of whether the signal is SD or HD. Of course if you want to be able to view HD, the TV must be HD capable or at least accept HD resolutions and scale them down (like most EDTVs).

jinjuku

jinjuku

This all depends. Most 5.1 setups of a true Home Theater variety will go from the digital audio output of the DVD Player (no matter if it is optical or coaxial) into a receiver.

The receiver does all the decoding for your surround mode/s. There are some 5.1 computer speakers from the likes of Creative Labs,Logitech, and Klipsh that have decoders and amplification built into the setup. For this you don't need a receiver.

Can I assume that you are going to something a bit more substantial than computer speakers?

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
HDMI will carry SD and HD from the dvd player to the TV. I think you are using the cable straight from the wall to the TV (thus using the TV tuner) ).
My current set up is cable box, VCR and CRT{no antenna, it's in the back of the PC}.....I do have a direct connection from my cable box to my TV, but I think that means I'm watching SDTV via my cable box's SD tuner{connection is scart-composite+ L&R RCA's}.

I also output from the cable box to the VCR{scart-composite+L RCA}, and then VCR-TV via RF coaxial cable.

I'm uncertain of what TV I'm getting, but that shouldn't matter too much for sound......but I think it will work the same way as my old set up but with higher bandwidth cables.

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
This all depends. Most 5.1 setups of a true Home Can I assume that you are going to something a bit more substantial than computer speakers?
Initially I'm just going to use my TV's speakers.
My budget for 5.1+receiver will be $1800-$2500AUD{say 2k USA}, but I won't spend that on a SDTV{I might get a 42in HDTV, but not sure}
I've read that really amazing HDTV's are on the verge of being released, so I'm waiting for those to hit then market before I go nuts on sound.

I know next to nothing about sound, and was just trying to collate some facts and figure out my basic DVD/SDTV set up.

I'm also uncertain whether or not there is a significant difference between a $1000 5.1 and amp and a 2-$2500 one for someone like me who is just throwing TV's into his bedroom.

Sony and Kenwood sell home theatre in a box for $1000-$1200AUD, and they might be all I need.....

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast

Here's some speakers and prices....the $1200 Sony system is a 6.2 with 2 subwoofers, HDMI and 1500w power output.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Unfortunately, with you being in Australia, I don't know what kind of access you are going to have to some of the internet direct builders out there.

From the pic that you posted though, you could shoot for companies like Axiom, Ascend, AV123, Aperion given the prices that I have seen, and still end up in the same ballpark w/ shipping and have a better quality speaker then Sony or Pioneer.

Audition the setups that you posted. Looks like a big box retailer. Hopefully they are setup to let you kick the tires.

Far as a $1000 5.1 setup, vs $2000 plus, you can do darn good for around $1000 US ($1200-$1300 aus?). Considering that you are looking at this for Home Theater, you do quality 2 way speakers for surround, MTM array center, and 10/12 sub.

What are the dimensions on your room?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis