Barely hear movie characters talking....

K

kbl042404

Audiophyte
I can barely hear movie characters talking during a movie on my surround sound but during an action scene it sounds like the speakers are going to explode. What's the deal??? I've tried several different settings (stadium, theater, etc.), adjusting the volumne on each of the speakers. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions????

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What speakers are you using? What electronics are you using? Have you calibrated your system using test tones and a SPL meter?

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
might be a center channel issue, ~65% of the talking is produced by the center channel

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I can barely hear movie characters talking during a movie on my surround sound but during an action scene it sounds like the speakers are going to explode. What's the deal??? I've tried several different settings (stadium, theater, etc.), adjusting the volumne on each of the speakers. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions????
Have you calibrated your system using SPL and a test DVD such as Avia's HT test DVD

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've wondered at times if it isn't poorly recorded dialogue in some movies?
One movie that was one of the worst for muddy dialogue was Backdraft.
Anyone else notice that?
My wife was certain to ask me to turn the volume up, during scenes with a lot of dialogue.
So I finally wised up and increased the center channel a few db.
Either that, or my wife's deaf.:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Clarification, please.

From your lead sentence it sounds like you're describing the normal operation of your surround speakers.

Are you referring to hearing the dialog on the surround speakers? If so, that's normal. Rarely do these reproduce any sound, much less dialog. Dialog comes from the front center speaker. The surrounds are used mainly for sound effects and the like and, in most cases they won't even be noticible.

If you're refering to your front center speaker, then check your calibrations.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
might be a center channel issue, ~65% of the talking is produced by the center channel
Not to disagree with you, but I just think it's funny to see actual figures for Center channel vs Front L + R vs Surrounds.:D

I think most people say the Center speaker gets over 50% of all the movie soundtrack. So I suppose 65% is close enough.

So then, what percentage goes to the front Left + Right? 25%?:D

Which, leaves only 10% to the Surrounds?:)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Another thing you could try is loweing the dynamic range setting on your receiver, if you have that option. This will add some compression to the audio signal, but is designed to reduce the difference between the softest sounds and the loudest sounds you hear.

It sounds to me like simply calibrating it won't resolve this issue - it could be the original audio signal that is being fed through is poor; in which case, there's not much you can do other than tweak the settings a little out of their nominal states to offset the effect.

Also, some receivers (like my Yamaha) have a "Night" setting which also equalizes the sound levels in tracks to a more steady state. They call it "Night" setting because it's supposed to allow you to hear all of the sound, but it won't rattle the windows during those loud sequences. ;)

Hope that helps. :)

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
Not to disagree with you, but I just think it's funny to see actual figures for Center channel vs Front L + R vs Surrounds.:D

I think most people say the Center speaker gets over 50% of all the movie soundtrack. So I suppose 65% is close enough.

So then, what percentage goes to the front Left + Right? 25%?:D

Which, leaves only 10% to the Surrounds?:)
Well, i can say that i hear about 65% of the talking through my center channel, if i un plug it i can barely hear the actor talking. seems to be a reduction of over or as much as 35%. I think any where from 50%-70% is a good estimate.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, i can say that i hear about 65% of the talking through my center channel, if i un plug it i can barely hear the actor talking. seems to be a reduction of over or as much as 35%. I think any where from 50%-70% is a good estimate.
Did you say 65% of the talking or of the entire soundtrack?

I think it gets about 99% of all the dialogues.:D

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Does your problem effect some or all of your DVD titles? If it is a problem some titles but not others then I blame the title. Otherwise it may be a configuration issue.

If you have an SPL [Sound Pressure Level ?] meter and some test tones you could calibrate your system yourself. Otherwise just do what I did ... run your center channel a few Db hot and the dialog should be much more clear.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another thought to consider...

... In my case, I had a similar experience when I first traded up from a HTIB system. It took me a little while to get used to hearing the surrounds and f r/l as opposed to how "muted," maybe muffled would be a better description, they sounded from the old setup. Give it a little time to adjust to.

That said, try what the others have said, level matching your speakers, making sure they are all properly aligned, check for polarity, and try moving them a little.

What helped me most was adding acoustic panels in my room. Im in a low ceilinged long room, think tunnel, and the sounds would 'megaphone' and be difficult to listen to at much volume. I added some acoustic panels and the dialogue became much more clear and pronounced. Definately one of the best upgrades I made. You may be having room mode issues, try posting in the room acoustics forum and give them a little info on how your room is and where your speakers are situated.

Jack

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I'm having the same problem with dialogue in movies. For most movies, I'm constantly adjusting the volume because either the voices can't be understood, or the action sequences are too loud. I'm not sure if the problem lies with my speakers or my receiver (I've had this problem ever since I bought the set-up). I plan on replacing both eventually, but I'm not sure if I should first focus on upgrading my receiver or my speakers. I currently have a older Yamaha RX-V2090 w/ a Yamaha DDP-1, and Acoustic Research SC-2 center channel. Any ideas on where to start?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If the poor recording quality of many CD's is any indication.
It's stands to reason, poor audio / dialogue of in movies, could be a culprit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been over this ground before, but it is worth repeating. The center channel speaker is a tough challenge. I really believe very few speaker manufacturers give it the thought and attention it deserves. For a start many loudspeakers that have good speech clarity are not good music reproducers. Why, because of cheating and a slight boost given in the 1.5 to 2.5 KHz range. This makes them tiresome for music. The lobing pattern of the vast majority of center channel speakers is in my view incorrect.

The center channel lobing pattern is crucial I have found. I found this out getting my fathers system right. He was anxious to get going with all this before Dolby 5.1. It became apparent from my researches that the center channel is actually one of the biggest challenges a speaker designer can be presented with. It has to take a lot of power, be relatively small and a very good all round performer.

There is a particular problem in most rooms in that the center speaker by necessity, ends up being too close to the front left and rights. By too close I mean less than seven feet. The result is comb filtering between the front three speakers. In other words summing and cancellations at different frequencies.

I have found that a very good speaker built round a coaxial driver is the best solution. The woofer cone acts as a wave guide to the tweeter, to result in a distribution pattern that minimizes speaker to speaker interference.

The issue has been raised as to whether this results in a sweet spot problem. The answer is no. In fact the reverse. Very uniform coverage at all seats. It seems KEF and Thiel and Tannoy have come to the same conclusion I have.

Now increasing the center speaker level does help the intelligibility issue, however it destroys the perspective. I like my sound field to be behind the plane of the front speakers. Even a small increase in center speaker level, brings the sound field forward. Now I calibrate my system with a phantom powered studio condenser microphone. I have found the 1db steps on the preamp processor to be too great! I found I had to add a potentiometer, between the center preamp output and the center channel electronic crossover.

I have found the best torture test for speech clarity in the midst of action to be the battle scenes in Master and Commander. If you can reproduce that with speaker levels correctly set and hear the dialog, then in my view your system is on the right track.

I watch a lot of opera DVDs. Having the speakers properly adjusted and seamless is essential. If not it is very tiresome.

I have made this recommendation before, but if your front left and right speakers have a good neutral balance, then this kit is probably the best $261 you could spend on your system. It is the Norwegian Loki kit. It should be very straight forward to put it together.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_40_402_275&products_id=1688&osCsid=1158554417565fec24ab94daccaa870e

It is the driver I use for center channel use.

http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424008#127077128

Now my center is a TLS and is diffraction compensated. The diffraction compensation is active. However the Loki will give you the same excellent speech clarity with no shout.

If any body wants to build the TLS version, get in tough with me and I will have my construction plans copied. They are very detailed. I also have a passive solution for the diffraction compensation.

It matches my left front and right very well although the driver complement is different. Even on white noise test it matches the left and right beautifully, and the sound stage is seem less, which is crucial for opera. I also have this speaker reproduce the sound for vintage mono recordings, and it acquits itself
very well.

What this member is complaining about is a prevalent problem. The solution far from easy. To help solve it seriously consider the SEAS Loki. I don't usually whole heartedly recommend a product, but this one I do.

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
Muddy center channel

This is such a universal problem with HT surround sound systems users that I have dedicated my own blog to the issue. There is a solution (the Dialog Augmentation Device) that can be added to any center channel speaker ...even in the cheapest of HTIB systems.

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
Unclear dialog is the bane of home theater. Nobody seems to know exactly what causes it and the proposed solutions are all over the map.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis