Bannana Plugs Vs. Normal speaker wire

N

newtoaudio90

Enthusiast
Hey guys, other than convenience is there any advantage, quality wise to banana plugs or any other speaker wire connector?

Cheers

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Quality wise, I have never noticed a difference. I'm not sure theres any quality difference anyways, but there are some other advantages to bare wire besides convenience. Stray wires are always a danger and if a stray wire touches something that it shouldn't when using bare wire you may blow up a speaker, destroy an amp, or something else bad.

This is all worst case scenario and if you're careful the likelihood of this happening is low, but combine convenience with safety and you have more than enough reason for me to go with bananas. I use the Sewell silverback banana connectors, I think they're great and you don't have to worry about the wire pulling out (unless you really are yanking on it).

So wire safety is the biggest reason to use connectors, to keep everything from shorting, arcing, or other scary stuff.

L

LB06

Enthusiast
The AQ will definitely not improve (you only add a piece or metal, which has resistance), but it won't noticeably worsen the AQ either. Indeed, convenience and wire safety are the biggest differences, as fuzz stated. To that I would like to add the longevity of the speaker terminals. Say the wires started corroding, which could happen. With bare wire, the corrosion would affect the amp itself. With terminators, only those terminators will be affected and will need to be replaced.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Banana plug Thread

Hey guys, other than convenience is there any advantage, quality wise to banana plugs or any other speaker wire connector?

Cheers
There was a really good thread on Banana plugs before: I had monoprice and they were pretty goot bu I like Unique products much better; however it appears unique Product no longer makes banana plugs.

The there are two main reason to use banana plug: (1) prevent shorting ( especailly when you pull out or move equipment), (2) provide a more physically secure and cleaner connection which helps avoid number 1 issue..

A lot of receivers have protective circuitry , but some don't and if you short out you speaker connections you fry your equipment.

Here is the original thread : http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/v-interconnects-cables-power-conditioning/62811-banana-plugs.html#post681840

Peace and Serenity,

Forest Man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis