J

Jammers

Enthusiast
I've just got done hooking up my new home theater system and it took forever since i didn't have the tools to do a good job stripping the cable and i screwed up the length on a couple of the speakers. I'm going to rewire it with stronger gauge wire but i need some advice about banana plugs. It looks like it's much easier to connect with them but since using them means one more connection from the wire to the receiver or amplifier does it make a difference in terms of the connection or sound?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. This is a pretty common question/concern. While the extra connections will indeed increase the resistance, it's so small (if you follow directions and put on the plugs correctly) that you won't notice it. I've used banana plugs for years and am a big fan. Connecting the wires to the speakers and receiver/amps is just so much easier.

J

Jammers

Enthusiast
Banana plugs fit the connectors on the back of speakers also?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Banana plugs fit the connectors on the back of speakers also?
Well that's going to depend upon the connections on the speakers. If your speaker has binding posts with jacks, then almost certainly. If they have spring clips or some other type of connection, then no.

J

Jammers

Enthusiast
This system came with 18 gauge wire. How much stronger is 16 gauge? Or should i use 14 gauge. I will have to rewire it since some of the cable are just to short.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
On runs of up top about 25 - 30', you won't hear a difference between 12 gauge and 16 - 18 gauge. As the length goes up, the thickness of the wires should go up accordingly.

Maybe this table will help a little. You seem to have picked up just enough "information" already to make you dangerous, at least to your wallet. Perhaps you might want to read the whole article of which that table is a part.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can get the tools very cheap at amazon as well as the bananas {I use the sewells, that look just like the monster cable ones}, I believe the banana plugs are $27 for 24 of them...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...{I use the sewells, that look just like the monster cable ones}, I believe the banana plugs are $27 for 24 of them...
It's almost like you clicked on Swerd's link. :p I also use those, thanks to your recommendation. Great plugs. To the OP, just remember that 24 plugs is 12 pairs, and each speaker wire requires two pairs if you use them on both ends.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
LOL, Im a jerk, I didnt even read any ones replys, there were too many by the time I got here, good job Swerd, sorry for you beating me here :D .... Im usually the only one with good idea, so Im not used to it.. Swerd did I tell you about harbor freight and sewell connectors, I have to take credit for this somehow.. I know I told Adam, lol... again sorry for the repos

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I always use stripped and tinned ends for speaker wire. It is not only cheaper but it provides a more secure connection than banana plugs which can lose their spring over time. Just strip the necessary amount, twist the strands and apply a little solder.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using the same Radio Shack banana plugs on my front three speakers since 1998, and they still stay in fine. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis