banana plugs - Sewell

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I know that fuzz092888 (Alex) likes their Silverback banana plugs, but I don't know if he's purchased from them directly. He has linked their products on Amazon in the past (such as his post linked here).

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
Well, their advertised price is 30 USD for 8 pairs. That being said, the "locking" or "harpoon" style (not the silverback style) are definetly the way to go, especially if you use a really heavy speaker wire like I do.

The tip "opens up" as they are tightened down and really can't come loose at all. With heavy wire, if you move your equipment around with any regularity, the traditional bananas tend to back out; these won't.

I have purchased similar plugs from EBay for 10 USD for 4 sets (usually sold under the Nakamichi name); so the same 20 for 8 sets you cited applies. Provided you can accomodate the longer banana (inuendo intended :p ) then there is really no better way to make sure your plugs stay secure. I can see some on wall setups where the length may be a problem. On my rear center speaker this is the case and I have opted for spades there instead.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you order 10 of these in red from monoprice you can get them for a buck and a half a piece :eek: .
They are even cheaper than that from Frys. But they don't fit all binding posts. Those aren't intended for speakers, they are for test equipment.

D

Destreyf

Audioholic Intern
Amazon.com: Sewell Harpoon Locking Banana Plugs, 8 pair: Electronics

under sewells brand for 20 bucks.

Im going to give em a shot, if their to long for my axioms Ill swap them with the silverbacks. Ill let everyone know how they work out.
These are very nice, i'll keep them in mind for future setups.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
They are pretty nice items.

They were packaged separately in pairs of 4 and I received a separate bag of set screws that were longer for use with different size speaker cable, unfortunately they didn't fit. I talked to a support rep and they were apologetic and explained that the company they source these from sent the wrong ones and are in process of getting the correct screws in.
They offered to give me a refund, different product or I could wait until they had the screws to send me.

I am waiting for the longer screws before completing my cables, Ill post a pic when done.

Overall I like them and would purchase them again.

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
Not sure you need longer screws. It is pretty ccommon practice to double up the stripped wire (bend it back on itself) so there is effectively twice the amount of bare wire under the screw when tightened down with these. I suppose you could triple it if you had to (but there should be no need). Using 10 or 12 AWG wire, doubled should fit really snuggly.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
Im officially giving these junk status.

Once I started building all of the cables are started running into quality issues.

Some of the plugs wouldnt go into the speaker or receiver unless forced,
I had some where the banana part of the plug actually came off and others that wouldnt tighten and become snug while inserted.

Im sending them back

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
i use the sewell bananas that look like the monster cable version... Never had a problem, the are $27 for 24 plugs, I have bought them 3 times from amazon never had a problem.... I have them on every system I own, Im not the type to spend $60 on 2 speaker wire so I buy copper or silver 12 ga wire {real 12 ga} and knu koncepts 10ga wire pants, shrink tubing, and what ever color techflex I want off ebay {3/8" X 25 ft for $7} and these plugs... I put a little dielectric grease in the in of the banana on the bare wire so it doesn't arc anywhere and they work well.
I've built at least a dozen good sized wires for under $125...

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I know I am reviving this thread but I thought I would just post here instead of starting another thread.

I am having my cables come loose when attaching the wire directly to the binding posts. I am using a Pioneer SC 27 and I find the things are a little tight to get the wires in their tight. It's doable but it's tough.

Those Sewell harpoons got a bad review from the user above so I won't be getting those.

What about those silver backs?

Or are there any better choices out there for banana plugs?

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use the previous version of these on my speakers Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz eKs BFA Style Banana Plugs - Set of 4: Electronics and I really like them.

I also have the Nakamichi ones similar to those (BFA style) that are super cheap if you buy in quantity. I bought a set of 48 and they were like $0.75 each. They aren't as nice as the Knus, but they do the job fine.

If you want locking, these are the ones I like and are what I use on my wires on the receiver/amp side:
Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

These work the same as the Sewels but I've never had an issue with them except on my speakers because my speakers have non-standard binding posts, which is why I use the BFA style connectors on them instead. These are all Chinese knock-offs of the original WBT ones.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
How come you got 2 wires going in each the red and white

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How come you got 2 wires going in each the red and white
4 conductor Canare 4S11 wire from Bluejeans, so rather than let 2 go to waste, I used both.

I guess I would need that black sleeve you got there?
Those are the speaker cable "pants" mentioned by ImcLoud previously. You don't need them, they just make it look nice.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
hmmm how do you connect 2 wires to one plug and why would you do this? I'm used to connecting one wire to one binding post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis