manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
was wanting some help setting up my blu-ray player not getting a very good picture is very grainy at times especialy on dvds not sure if my tv can handle the 4.4.4.4 prescion setting i have a TH42PX80U panasoinc plasma and panasoinc bd85 blu-ray player any help would be apreciatied....

K

Kaspian

Enthusiast
I'm on the same boat. I bought a Phillips BD player and the picture of regular dvds and bds were both grainy. After a couple of days of "tweaking" with the player settings, I returned it and bought a sony bdp-s350....same grainy picture. My old sony dvd player (dvp-ns75h) has better picture, although it would only up convert to 1080i :confused: I have a 65" Mistubishi dlp. Hopefully someone's reply to the op may also help my problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
was wanting some help setting up my blu-ray player not getting a very good picture is very grainy at times especialy on dvds not sure if my tv can handle the 4.4.4.4 prescion setting i have a TH42PX80U panasoinc plasma and panasoinc bd85 blu-ray player any help would be apreciatied....
How is it connected to the plasma- through a receiver or directly? What signal- HDMI or component? What kind of cables? The TV, BD player and if used, the receiver's video settings need to agree. Connect the BD player direct to the plasma- is it better?

What disc are you watching? Was it shot in HD/BD video or was it shot in some other format and converted? If it was converted, got one that was meant for BD and HD video.

Go to the Panasonic site and look for a firmware update, then follow the instructions.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
my 65"DLP is grainy. just the way it is. ymmv

as was said. the quality of the media varies.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone use computer generated video or a test disc as a reference? The signal from those is about as good as it gets.

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
hi finaly got the picture to not look grainy changed the setting on the resolution to 720P instead of 1080P my 720P plasma does accecpt 1080P but for some reason it made the picture look grainy.... just to let you know the blu ray is hooked up via hdmi direct to the the tv and optical to receiver havent tried the analog 5.1 hook ups to here hd sound yet was just afraid i would loose base in the process and it sounds better than normal dvds to me via optical

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Is the TV calibrated - or are you using one of the standard picture settings (and if so, which one?).

Which DVDs and/or Blu-rays have you tested?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
hi finaly got the picture to not look grainy changed the setting on the resolution to 720P instead of 1080P my 720P plasma does accecpt 1080P but for some reason it made the picture look grainy.... just to let you know the blu ray is hooked up via hdmi direct to the the tv and optical to receiver havent tried the analog 5.1 hook ups to here hd sound yet was just afraid i would loose base in the process and it sounds better than normal dvds to me via optical
Maybe because your TV is 720p native, not 1080p.
For 1080p TV downscales the signal to 720p.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PX80U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142HLV4

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Does anyone use computer generated video or a test disc as a reference? The signal from those is about as good as it gets.
For a reference disk for PQ I use several different materials. Planet Earth, Kung Fu Panda, and I've sure Avatar will be on the list as well come Thursday although I haven't seen it yet.

You are correct in that CGI sources are awesome for playback as reference material.
Sounds like the processor in your TV that downscales 1080p sources is crap.....this is not unusual at all. If its a native 720p TV then send it a 720p signal.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe because your TV is 720p native, not 1080p.
For 1080p TV downscales the signal to 720p.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PX80U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142HLV4
AFAIK, there aren't any plasmas that are 720p. They will come as 768p. Therefore, I normally recommend feeding 1080, so that scaling only occurs once.

If you output as 720p, not only did the player have to scale that once now, but then the TV has to add another 127,488 pixels to get it back up to 768p.

So, this leads me to ask the same thing zhimbo did below. Which discs? Grain is part and parcel of film. Without grain in film, you will lose visual information that is inherent to the picture. This is why some nutty videophiles are so adamantly against digital "scrubbing" known as DNR.

Which DVDs and/or Blu-rays have you tested?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
AFAIK, there aren't any plasmas that are 720p. They will come as 768p. Therefore, I normally recommend feeding 1080, so that scaling only occurs once.

If you output as 720p, not only did the player have to scale that once now, but then the TV has to add another 127,488 pixels to get it back up to 768p.

So, this leads me to ask the same thing zhimbo did below. Which discs? Grain is part and parcel of film. Without grain in film, you will lose visual information that is inherent to the picture. This is why some nutty videophiles are so adamantly against digital "scrubbing" known as DNR.
Something else occurred to me. If this display can only handle up to 1080i, and not 1080p, and the OP was indeed feeding 1080i, I can see this being an issue. The player interlaces the BD, and then the TV must deinterlace. In this case, I guess I might not be surprised if 720p did look better, even if it's scaling x2.

If the TV can only handle up to 1080i, I would still consider outputting DVD at 480i, and comparing anything else to that . . .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis