B&W vs. SVS Subs...

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Garcia, what about that HSU??

Hey Garcia, I just saw in another thread that you used to be the proud owner of an HSU. Which one did you have? And how would you compare it to the SVS that you have now?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to have a VTF-2 (v1). I had it and the PB-10 at the same time, did a few subjective comparisons for about a week and I ended up keeping the PB-10. Above 25Hz, output was similar and I actually preferred the sound of the VTF-2 somewhat, but below 25Hz, the PB-10 easily outperformed the VTF-2 in max extension mode. The HSU is definitely a worthy contender though - I had it for over a year and I was very happy with it. My PB-10 is from the first batch - I got the discounted preorder price of $399. At that price, and after hearing other SVS subs, I had to pick one up just to compare it to the VTF-2. Worst case, I would resell the PB-10 since they were backordered about a month at the time.

It says a lot about the product - I put the VTF-2 up for sale on Craigslist at the time. It sold in just 15 minutes to the first person who responded.

Last edited:
E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Privateer said:
bupton, you will have to demo both products to see if there is a differance that you can notice. As for quality of the bass B&W will knock around the SVS but most people only want SPL.
No offense but have you actually heard an SVS sub?? If you had, I don't see how you could make a comment like this (or perhaps you just didn't have it properly positioned and calibrated in your room). Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of B&W. In fact I have a pair of DM602 S2s in my little HT (with an SVS PB10-ISD sub) and I really enjoy them, plus my partner in my live sound business has an entire 5 speaker set of B&W 600 series with an SVS PB12 Ultra/2 and the sound is stunning.

But while I haven't heard every sub B&W makes, and there's no doubt they all feature great sound quality, as a professional sound engineer I trust my ears, and they tell me there's no lack of quality with SVS subs compared to B&W. They're amazingly accurate, clean, and powerful, and seriously -- why would you pay so much more money for a B&W sub just to try to equal the performance of a much less expensive SVS?? That's just silly. My PB10-ISD replaced a borrowed B&W ASW500, which of course is an older, tiny, totally underpowered little 10" sub that could never be expected to compete with the SVS -- but it still cost $500 new!!!!!! I paid less than that for my SVS delivered and there's just no comparison. You'd have to pay at least $800 - $1000 for a B&W that could even begin to compete with my little SVS for quality OR volume -- and at that price point, you can get a much nicer SVS.

B&W's speakers are SWEET but for subs, look to the true experts. :)

Last edited:
P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You'd have to pay at least $800 - $1000 for a B&W that could even begin to compete with my little SVS for quality OR volume -- and at that price point, you can get a much nicer SVS.
Did you read my post on money and bang for the buck? I am talking about $4000 dollars and up. With the B&W sub I am talking about something like the ASW855.

B&W's speakers are SWEET but for subs, look to the true experts.
Besides the 800 series and up I do not think that B&W speakers a sweat.

However, what companies are you referring to?
You can start with velodyne and their DD series and then look at a bunch of other higher end speaker companies.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Based on my own listening (I own a Velodyne SPL-1200II and dual 16-46PC+ subs), I would have to say that I do not find the Velodyne any better in control or quality than the 16-46PC+ given that you are not pushing the subs too hard. I do think if you push them hard, to the same level, the Velodyne will handle slightly better.

But that's why I purchased two 16-46PC+ for the approximate same price as the Velodyne. Same audio quality, low THD, greater SPL, and tuned at 12Hz for the same price.

I would also have to say that the subwoofer tests at AVTalk seem to support that statement. In fact, there was an anomalously large distortion spike with the DD-15 for some strange reason.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Evertime I look at my ASW 600, I wonder what the hell I was thinking...then I realize I wasn't :rolleyes:

Last edited:
bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Lots of reasons...

Thanks again for all the responses to my original post. One thing that I am contending with is the fact that I am in Europe, and the cost of buying a sub from B&W is about the same as a SVS, or HSU for that matter, once you factor in how much it will cost to ship one of those beasts over to me. Case in point, an SVS 12/Plus will cost me over a grand to buy, and then at least another 300 to ship to Germany, where I can pick up a new ASW 750 for right about $1400 once I take the tax off...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
bupton said:
Thanks again for all the responses to my original post. One thing that I am contending with is the fact that I am in Europe, and the cost of buying a sub from B&W is about the same as a SVS, or HSU for that matter, once you factor in how much it will cost to ship one of those beasts over to me. Case in point, an SVS 12/Plus will cost me over a grand to buy, and then at least another 300 to ship to Germany, where I can pick up a new ASW 750 for right about $1400 once I take the tax off...
You really might be best served by a reputable local dealer. If you ever had any problems with a subwoofer shipped from the U.S., it would be very expensive shipping it back for repairs. Unless you can't find anything suitable locally, I would advise you to buy locally for better service.

annunaki

annunaki

Having owned a Velodyne HGS-10, I can say, based upon detail alone, the SVS PB12-Ultra is a superior woofer system. I am hearing note shifts and detail that I simply could not with the Velodyne. It also costs less money (than the Velodyne). It (SVS) is also more musically accurate.

When it comes to low frequency extension, there is no comparison. It was a 10" vs. a 12" though, so that is not really fair.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
annunaki said:
Having owned a Velodyne HGS-10, I can say, based upon detail alone, the SVS PB12-Ultra is a superior woofer system. I am hearing note shifts and detail that I simply could not with the Velodyne. It also costs less money (than the Velodyne). It (SVS) is also more musically accurate.

When it comes to low frequency extension, there is no comparison. It was a 10" vs. a 12" though, so that is not really fair.

Annunaki,
Sounds like you are really enjoying that new sub. Have you taken it apart and looked at the woofer? No wonder that thing sounds so good. Great motor design. I am looking at getting 2 of the PB12 plus for my room. I would have to say that I think the SVS's (plus and ultra units) paired with a good set of towers is pretty close to unbeatable. I noticed in another post that you had it tuned down to 16Hz, how has that affected your overall SPL output? I would think that you would loose 6db or so, across the board.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I would also have to say that the subwoofer tests at AVTalk seem to support that statement. In fact, there was an anomalously large distortion spike with the DD-15 for some strange reason.
Right, I am not going to trust any reviews from that site because there THD readings on the velodyne are 2 times higher then any other reviewer in north america.

annunaki

annunaki

MacManNM said:
Annunaki,
Sounds like you are really enjoying that new sub. Have you taken it apart and looked at the woofer? No wonder that thing sounds so good. Great motor design. I am looking at getting 2 of the PB12 plus for my room. I would have to say that I think the SVS's (plus and ultra units) paired with a good set of towers is pretty close to unbeatable. I noticed in another post that you had it tuned down to 16Hz, how has that affected your overall SPL output? I would think that you would loose 6db or so, across the board.
I have had it tuned in the 16hz config. only so far. I will try the others. It is already more output than neccessary, and, with the movies I have watched recently, I do not want to tune it higher. (As they have had VERY deep bass)

Edit:

No, I have not taken it apart. It is just to d*** big and heavy to move around. I have seen pictures of the woofer (up close) and that is enough for me. I am around huge car subs (JL Audio's W7, JBL's GTI, MTX's 9500 at work a lot, so it (big subs) is not as impressive to me any more.

It is a good design, though I agree.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis