B&W vs. SVS Subs...

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Hello all. I am looking into getting a new sub for my hi-fi system and am running into a few hurdles when trying to sellect the right one. The first bit that has caused me trouble is that I live in Germany right now and am having a bit of difficulty finding ways to test drive (listen) to the subs that I am interested in. SVS does not currently have a distrobution network here and neither does HSU, or Axiom for that matter. Another issue is that while I am here in Europe now, I do not know how much longer I will remain here. With that in mind, I am looking to get something with a multi-voltage power supply because I hate using voltage transformers! To further complicate matters, I use my system for a mix of music and HT (probably about 70/30 %) and I really like the idea of sub in a sealed enclosure simply for the increased accuracy that this will give, as I am more of a jazz/classical/rock listener and not a fan of boomy bass.

With all that in mind, I have run accross a few subs from B&W (both the 750 and 800 models) that seem to have a lot of the features that I am looking for, but still have not been able to secure a way to try them out here in my house. I know that lots of people RAVE about the different SVS subs out there, but I am curious to see if anyone would be able to draw a direct comparisson between one of these (I am looking at the PB-12 plus) and the offerings from B&W. I know that the SVS is not a sealed box, but most people seem to feel that they are very accurate and musical subs none-the-less and while they do not have a switching power supply, they do offer then in a 220v version and said that they would sell me a 110v power supply at a discounted price should i move back to the states. Also, does anyone have any other subs that I might want to give some consideration to? Thanks for any input and assistance provided, and happy listening!!

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I think an SVS kinda knocks the crap out of B&W for what you get in the price range.

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
More data please...

Ok, but are you speaking in terms of pure spl generation, accuracy, extension or what?

kay

kay

Audioholic
Go with the SVS, you get more of everything for the same price as a B&W sub. You don't have to match it to your speakers the way you have to with surroudns, so what difference does it make?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've read a few comparisons from owners who have switched from B&W subs to SVS subs, including the models listed, and every single one of them said they were happier with the SVS.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
bupton, you will have to demo both products to see if there is a differance that you can notice. As for quality of the bass B&W will knock around the SVS but most people only want SPL.

annunaki

annunaki

My vote would go for the SVS. I have the Ultra, and it is an EXCELLENT subwoofer.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Privateer said:
bupton, you will have to demo both products to see if there is a differance that you can notice. As for quality of the bass B&W will knock around the SVS but most people only want SPL.
It kinda sounds like you mean SVS are loud but B&W are quality?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
SVS is under negotiations to have a German franchise set-up to sell their wares (So far they have Scandanavia), so if you can, I would wait six months, you'll save on international shipping too.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
BTW: Welcome back Privateer. (Didn't you just order dual SSes?)

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Good words...

Thanks for all the input so far. It seems that most of the people here are more inclined to go for the SVS sub over anything else. Ninja, do you know where in Germany SVS is looking at establishing a distributor network? I wonder if I will be lucky enough to have it close by. I am also looking at the HSU subs as well and have been corresponding with Dr. Hsu via email on a few issues/ideas. But more than anything, I am still curious/concerned about the differences in sonic clarity/accuracy between a sealed and a ported enclosure. Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas...

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
One more...

Also, does anyone here have any experience with the ACI line of subs, and the Force in particular?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
BTW: Welcome back Privateer. (Didn't you just order dual SSes?)
No, for now I am sticking with the velodyne.

It kinda sounds like you mean SVS are loud but B&W are quality?
That is what I am saying.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
bupton said:
Thanks for all the input so far. It seems that most of the people here are more inclined to go for the SVS sub over anything else. Ninja, do you know where in Germany SVS is looking at establishing a distributor network? I wonder if I will be lucky enough to have it close by. I am also looking at the HSU subs as well and have been corresponding with Dr. Hsu via email on a few issues/ideas. But more than anything, I am still curious/concerned about the differences in sonic clarity/accuracy between a sealed and a ported enclosure. Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas...
I think the "accuracy" of sealed vs. ported enclosure is more myth than fact, though some poorly designed ported enclosures have probably contributed to this belief (not to mention band-pass boxes designed for a very small frequency range). With accuracy, we are really talking about various distortions and frequency response abnormalities, and either type of enclosure can be done well (or poorly). I think it is a mistake to buy based on type of enclosure, akin to buying a speaker based on whether it is 2-way, 3-way, 4-way or whatever. What matters is the performance of the particular speaker, not how the performance is achieved.

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
Privateer said:
I don't agree. I demo'd a number of subwoofers including everything B&W makes for under $1500 (U.S.). I picked the SVS PB10 ISD because it sounded as good or better than the B&Ws in both quality and quantity of bass. The fact that it was also relatively inexpensive was a nice bonus but did not figure into my final decision.

Don't get me wrong, IMHO B&W makes excellent speakers, but they're lagging behind SVS, Hsu and a few others in the "bang for buck" subwoofer arena.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Then your very wrong,wow.
Well if that is your opinion.

I demo'd a number of subwoofers including everything B&W makes for under $1500 (U.S.). Don't get me wrong, IMHO B&W makes excellent speakers, but they're lagging behind SVS, Hsu and a few others in the "bang for buck" subwoofer arena.
Alot of people are not out there for the bang for your buck market. I will agree that SVS makes a good subwoofer for the price but there are many companies out there that makes a subwoofer far better then anything from SVS.

annunaki

annunaki

I am not saying SVS is the best ever, as best is difficult to quantify. However, what companies are you referring to?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know many people who want to spend more for something that gives them basically the same performance. Yes there are better subs than SVS, but I haven't heard ANY that are in the same price range that perform as well (that aren't also small independent companies like SVS).

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Privateer said:
Well if that is your opinion.

Alot of people are not out there for the bang for your buck market. I will agree that SVS makes a good subwoofer for the price but there are many companies out there that makes a subwoofer far better then anything from SVS.
At twice the price i would hope so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis