B&W sold to a Silicon Valley start up company

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lucky that Joe was there to pick up the ball. You could see this coming a mile off. Just one more example of clown who know nothing about a business they purchase and then making a spectacle of themselves.

B & W need to hunker down in Worthing Sussex and make a game plan. It is true that B & W make some of the finest speakers around, but unfortunately they cynically make quite a few towards the bottom of the line that are not very good and offer poor value far money.

They need to concentrate on making every speaker they make best in class. That does not mean shoddy work and poor cabinets, it means really taking a good look at the essence of good drivers, using as few as possible that match. Then you need very simple crossovers, that need no more then three components say. That is how you get the cost down and deliver value for money. That is how you build brand loyalty and customers returning to up grade. Making lousy stuff at the lower end and thinking that will make people upgrade sooner is not good business and cynical.
The only B&W speaker that had accurate measurement from a 3rd party professional publication was the 801 Nautilus, which was measured by Stereophile to be accurate around +/-2.5dB response.

Other than that, I don't think any B&W speakers, including their $30K speakers, have a FR measured less than +/-4dB from any PROFESSIONAL publications (Stereophile, Soundstage, S&V, etc.).

So when you say, "Best in Class", do you mean including their on-axis and off-axis responses? :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The only B&W speaker that had accurate measurement from a 3rd party professional publication was the 801 Nautilus, which was measured by Stereophile to be accurate around +/-2.5dB response.

Other than that, I don't think any B&W speakers, including their $30K speakers, have a FR measured less than +/-4dB from any PROFESSIONAL publications (Stereophile, Soundstage, S&V, etc.).

So when you say, "Best in Class", do you mean including their on-axis and off-axis responses? :D

A review with tests at the bottom of the page. Done in 2018.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

There are plenty of B&W Diamond measurements (D1, D2, & D3 generations) from Stereophile, which not only show the on-axis, but off-axis responses, which is rather infamous for being not very smooth.

So I guess the question is, whom do you trust more? Stereophile or Newport?

I guess it all depends on who is doing the measurements for any given speaker?

If all the B&W speaker measurements from Stereophile, HTM, S&V Magazine, and Soundstage all looked like that one from "Newport Test Lab" (response of +/-2.5dB?), I think most people would be singing a different tune all these years regarding B&W speakers.

I just saw another in-room response for the Revel F208 from "Newport Test Labs". It was like ruler flat +/- 0.5dB. :D

Stereophile and S&V measured the F208, and the response was more like +/-2.0dB.

So just take whatever "Newport Test Labs" has and add another +/-1.5dB. :D

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

This is my measurement of a B & W 800 D3

The black line is 90 degrees off axis. The blue in axis and the yellow 15 degrees off axis. You can see that the output to the room is actually very good.

The waterfall response is excellent.

Impedance curve and phase angles.

That is not a terrible load for any decent amp to drive. Not for a receiver, but who is going to drive speakers like that with a receiver?

As you would expect they are excellent sounding speakers and in the top echelon of anything available on the commercial market.
So it would be a shame if B & W went under. They just need to get down and attend to business now and introduce some good fairly priced speakers than don't need a welding amp to drive them. That has been another of their problems, even in their lower priced range, there speakers have been amp busters. I do think the company has potential though.

Historically another beef I have with them, is that they really started a trend among UK manufacturers in not making their drivers available to the public. Prior to that date pretty much all UK drivers were available. Now only Lowther, and Volt make their drivers available. Lowther, KEF, Goodmans, JW, and Wharfedale went out of their way to court the DIY market. The KEF constructor series was especially popular and a very significant part of KEF's business.

It is time to return to that time. It really helps build customer base and gets more really involved. I believe is is absolutely false that this policy reduces sales of complete speakers, I believe the reverse to be the case. In particular when Dynaudio left the DIY market, it substantially reduced their presence. They were a leader in the DIY market. I personally noted a decline in interest in high quality audio coincident with major speaker companies exiting the DIY market. I think this sort of approach has been taught by know nothing professors in University and business and marketing schools.

Patrick Butler

Patrick Butler

Junior Audioholic
Deciphering causation or correlation from past events can be tricky. Did the exit of manufacturers selling their drivers to the DIY market cause the decline of interest in high quality audio, or was it the other way around? Perhaps there were other market forces at work that moved manufacturers to focus on their core businesses. The only things I know with certainty: our business grew and people still love music.

Best,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins

This is my measurement of a B & W 800 D3

The black line is 90 degrees off axis. The blue in axis and the yellow 15 degrees off axis. You can see that the output to the room is actually very good.

The waterfall response is excellent.

Impedance curve and phase angles.

That is not a terrible load for any decent amp to drive. Not for a receiver, but who is going to drive speakers like that with a receiver?

As you would expect they are excellent sounding speakers and in the top echelon of anything available on the commercial market.
So it would be a shame if B & W went under. They just need to get down and attend to business now and introduce some good fairly priced speakers than don't need a welding amp to drive them. That has been another of their problems, even in their lower priced range, there speakers have been amp busters. I do think the company has potential though.

Historically another beef I have with them, is that they really started a trend among UK manufacturers in not making their drivers available to the public. Prior to that date pretty much all UK drivers were available. Now only Lowther, and Volt make their drivers available. Lowther, KEF, Goodmans, JW, and Wharfedale went out of their way to court the DIY market. The KEF constructor series was especially popular and a very significant part of KEF's business.

It is time to return to that time. It really helps build customer base and gets more really involved. I believe is is absolutely false that this policy reduces sales of complete speakers, I believe the reverse to be the case. In particular when Dynaudio left the DIY market, it substantially reduced their presence. They were a leader in the DIY market. I personally noted a decline in interest in high quality audio coincident with major speaker companies exiting the DIY market. I think this sort of approach has been taught by know nothing professors in University and business and marketing schools.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Deciphering causation or correlation from past events can be tricky. Did the exit of manufacturers selling their drivers to the DIY market cause the decline of interest in high quality audio, or was it the other way around? Perhaps there were other market forces at work that moved manufacturers to focus on their core businesses. The only things I know with certainty: our business grew and people still love music.

Best,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins
You obviously attended an MBA or such in the inane at the University of BS.

No, I lived through that era, and not making drivers available caused a serious decline in interest.

Please give me a reasoned explanation of why selling raw drivers does not increase the bottom line. The DIY customers are not in the market for completed systems, so you are just passing up business.

As the great Gilbert Briggs used to point out there is much to learned from serious DIY designers, and it can actually reduce your R & D budget.

There is no way that making drivers available is not a win for the manufacturer.

I personally would very likely have purchased a number of B & W drivers over the years, but would never purchase a complete speakers, as I believe I can do better

Patrick Butler

Patrick Butler

Junior Audioholic
Hi TLS Guy,

I'm not sure where this became contentious and there certainly wasn't an intent to do so on my end. I recall Dynaudio leaving the DIY market and ceasing the sales of their drive units to other manufacturers including one I worked for at the time.

Regarding the sales of raw drivers and whether or not that increases the bottom line- I never made a claim one way or the other. We have a online parts store and routinely sell drivers to the public. While it is true that the intent is to service customers with existing products, I've seen many DIY projects over the years using those parts. Those are always great to see and I'm personally fascinated by people's ingenuity and craft.

The most interesting part of your post (for me at least) is the part where you noted "a decline in interest in high quality audio coincident with major speaker companies exiting the DIY market". That's an interesting take that I had not considered. There are a variety of causes/influences we talk about in the manufacturing/sales world, but the DIY market angle is not one of them. I know manufacturers who are doing very well and others not as well. The ones doing well (and that would include us) have adapted and the ones who are not doing well tend to follow the same business practices that worked for them in the 90s. In any event, love to see some data on the DIY market if you have any to share.

Regards,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins

You obviously attended an MBA or such in the inane at the University of BS.

No, I lived through that era, and not making drivers available caused a serious decline in interest.

Please give me a reasoned explanation of why selling raw drivers does not increase the bottom line. The DIY customers are not in the market for completed systems, so you are just passing up business.

As the great Gilbert Briggs used to point out there is much to learned from serious DIY designers, and it can actually reduce your R & D budget.

There is no way that making drivers available is not a win for the manufacturer.

I personally would very likely have purchased a number of B & W drivers over the years, but would never purchase a complete speakers, as I believe I can do better

highfigh

highfigh

Hi TLS Guy,

I'm not sure where this became contentious and there certainly wasn't an intent to do so on my end. I recall Dynaudio leaving the DIY market and ceasing the sales of their drive units to other manufacturers including one I worked for at the time.

Regarding the sales of raw drivers and whether or not that increases the bottom line- I never made a claim one way or the other. We have a online parts store and routinely sell drivers to the public. While it is true that the intent is to service customers with existing products, I've seen many DIY projects over the years using those parts. Those are always great to see and I'm personally fascinated by people's ingenuity and craft.

The most interesting part of your post (for me at least) is the part where you noted "a decline in interest in high quality audio coincident with major speaker companies exiting the DIY market". That's an interesting take that I had not considered. There are a variety of causes/influences we talk about in the manufacturing/sales world, but the DIY market angle is not one of them. I know manufacturers who are doing very well and others not as well. The ones doing well (and that would include us) have adapted and the ones who are not doing well tend to follow the same business practices that worked for them in the 90s. In any event, love to see some data on the DIY market if you have any to share.

Regards,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins
Look at the drivers offered by companies like Parts Express- they have expanded their list greatly over the last few years. Madisound is another but I stopped dealing with them after some rude behavior during phone calls and receiving incorrect info.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe they will start making speakers to Compete with Polk Audio or Bose, or Market to the masses at Box Stores. Sure wish someone would make a better sound wave speaker :rolleyes:.

highfigh

highfigh

Saw a couple of articles stating that Sound United intends to buy B&W.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi TLS Guy,

Regards,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins
Patrick, thank you for your thoughtful reply, you are forgiven for your "marketeer's" boiler plate reply.

So this deserves a longer reply. I'm a washed up retired chap, so I'm older than you. However I have had a passion for building audio and and now AV systems since a young child. My father was a DIYer. Anyhow I built my first speaker age 7. I started putting circuits together around that time. I also grew up in the UK at Rochester. Tovil was only 15 miles away, so I got to know Raymond Cooke. Lowther were not far away in Bromley, and Donald Chave was a great inspiration. Of course pretty much anyone dabbling in audio got to know the 'great' Gilbert A Briggs, GAB as he was known, through his writings and at the yearly Audio Fair, and his flamboyant 'live versus recorded" events at the Royal Festival Hall. He was a huge influencer and driver of the DIY market. He openly stated that it was far more profitable to sell speaker drivers, than going to bother of building cabinets. In those days the Wharfedale output of raw drivers was prodigious. I also go to know Peter Walker of Quad quite well and had a major influence on me.

We also had other friends who were into this hobby. I especially remember Donald Chevas who was a barrister at law of some regard. He was very funny and droll. It was great fun to be with him at the Audio Fair's where I would delight in him humorously taking down eager salesmen extolling the virtue if some ridiculous contraption. He would slip me components of his failed projects, which would extend my budget.

Then we had the military surplus stores on the Leicester road, where you could by surplus components for next to nothing. Sterns Radio of Fleet Street supported the DIY market very well, and the place was packed every noon hour with city workers spending their meager surplus cash on their next project. At the end of the day they were seen getting their newly purchased goods onto crowded railway trains.

In those days, you could buy an excellent reel to reel tape recorder in hundreds of tiny pieces for very reasonable money. I'm thinking of Brennel Engineering especially, So a member of the public could put together a recorder identical to a unit widely used by the BBC.

Now as to numbers I know not in specific terms. I do know that reading the mags DIY back then had a significant presence in the US, and some of their DIY products made it to the UK, I'm thinking of Heathkit in particular. I do know that both Altec, Electrovoice and JBL, really courted the DIY market, with drivers and designs.

So, back then developing a decent speaker was much, much harder then it is now. Now the DIYer has computer assisted design programs for box and crossovers within easy reach. Not only that, but sophisticated measuring tools are now within reach of the DIYer. Yet, this market is now ignored by the majors.

I do know that Parts Express have built up a fine business catering to this market. I have dealt with Madisound for about 40 years. In the UK Wilmslow Audio have supplied this market for years, going back to my childhood. Interestingly I think the DIY market, once so vibrant in the UK is now very smaller than the US.

My last point is I think an important one. I think from the contacts I have made, the DIY market, if properly supported, can drive innovation. I used to build my own PU cartridges before the stereo era. They were moving coil and the stylus was supported by a nylon thread. I was more dexterous then than now by far. Anyhow I did as I was determined to make a pickup that would track at 3 GM. That had been determined by Cecil Watts to be the tracking force at which an LP would not become permanently deformed. Forces of the day, were 7 to 10 grams. I believe I got there first. Anyhow I showed one to Stan Kelly of Decca. He took the suspension and made it a variable reluctance cartridge and the iconic Decca ffss was born.

Peter Walker always had a full circuit diagram of his products tucked into every instruction manual. He was not in the least concerned about others copying. He did tell me that knowledgeable customers would come up with improvements which he was not too proud to accept.

When the JW speaker module was introduced, I really don't think it would have survived if it had not been for the involvement of my father and myself. Prior to that each driver would only work for about 20 minutes.

I moved to Canada first in 1970. It will be 50 years June 20 since we left the UK. I was Canadian agent for JW until I moved to the US in 1976, During that time I further increased the reliability of those drivers and was heavily involved developing the Mark III.

In addition DIYers are you best unpaid sales staff. Obviously family friends and acquaintances are going to seek advice if they like what they see and here. They are far more likely to take advice from individuals like me than from a Best By Blue Shirt and even less from an audiophool dealer trying to fob them off with $1000.00 speaker cables. Over the years I have sold for you three sets of your top line speakers.

Audio in the home really does have to look at performance and aesthetics. The latter is a huge barrier to sales. Also speakers are very much like pipe organs in a way. Every organ builder worth his salt carefully voices the instrument to the space, including when installing an older instrument in a new space. So to some extent I believe speakers do need to have some means of being voiced to the space they reside in. And no you can not leave to Auydyssey with it cheap plastic mic, placed on chairs using a horrid cardboard base. That is absolutely not good enough.

I think this post is now long enough, so I expand in another post on what is seriously adrift with the industry now and potential solutions. No things are not good, and could be a lot better. The effort is ripe for reward in increased acceptance and sales. What is on offer now is not even close to acceptability. I will edit this post and link it here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

These are the ones I listened to and they still might be the best speakers I've heard yet. There was care and some room treatments involved since it was the store's flagship setup so everything was dialed in optimally. Incredible speakers. Subs need not apply.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
These are the ones I listened to and they still might be the best speakers I've heard yet. There was care and some room treatments involved since it was the store's flagship setup so everything was dialed in optimally. Incredible speakers. Subs need not apply.
:p
For the cost of a car, it d@mn well better transport you!
:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think I’ve looked at too many B&W 802/800 D1/D2/D3 on-axis. And they look very similar- a peak in the 8-10 kHz region.
If you look at my measurements of the 800 D3, you can see that peak slightly in the on axis measurement and in the waterfall plot slightly. However if you look at the off axis response it disappears. So the in room response is likely good. However the waterfall plot gives the suggestion that things are not quite right at 10 KHz.

I'm not convinced diamond is the best material for a tweeter diaphragm. The SEAS diamond tweeter is not that good either come to that by measrement. The fabric dome SEAS excel tweeters I use in my mains measure better.

So I am seriously concerned this drive to diamond is driven by the marketing department more than anything else. Rigid versus flexible cones has merits they go both ways. I have never been convinced that all truth lies in the rigid camp, but my be I'm in the minority on that, but may be not. To me a really good soft dome tweeter sounds much more natural than any hard dome. Although I had some Titanium dome tweeters in the living room speakers in Grand Forks that went with house. I liked them very much.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis