M

Monkey's Uncle

Enthusiast
There is a used pair of B&w n804 available locally for $1350. I listened to them the other day and they sound very nice. They would replace a pair of B&W 683s2. I guess my question is does this seem like a decent price? I have a yammy a2020 to power them and a svs sb-2000 as a sub.
Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wasn't impressed by the B&W speaker range you have but haven't heard the other range you're considering. I'd want to compare in the same room; or if you think in dissimilar rooms that you thought it was an obvious improvement. Really up to your ears and room as to whether you find the change worth the expenditure. YMMV, my .02 and all that

M

Monkey's Uncle

Enthusiast
Wasn't impressed by the B&W speaker range you have but haven't heard the other range you're considering. I'd want to compare in the same room; or if you think in dissimilar rooms that you thought it was an obvious improvement. Really up to your ears and room as to whether you find the change worth the expenditure. YMMV, my .02 and all that

I don't think I'll be able to listen to them in the same room, I'll have to go take another listen and see if they speak to me!
Thanks

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is a used pair of B&w n804 available locally for $1350. I listened to them the other day and they sound very nice. They would replace a pair of B&W 683s2. I guess my question is does this seem like a decent price? I have a yammy a2020 to power them and a svs sb-2000 as a sub.
Thanks!
IMO they're not gouging, but I would try hard to get them for $1200...Argon Audio or even ebay I think is a good site to at least see what the market "asking price" is.

I have a pair of 804m...I see people trying to sell them for $1000 on ebay....I have a standing offer from a coworker for $850 for mine and I think that's about right. My point is people always try to get a couple hundred extra on their asking price.

2channel lover

It look like the same kevlar material in the midrange, but in every case I've heard none of the 600 series speaker touch any speakers from the 800 series. The cabinets, bracing, drivers, crossovers, tweeter all much better than the 600 series speakers.

M

Monkey's Uncle

Enthusiast
IMO they're not gouging, but I would try hard to get them for $1200...Argon Audio or even ebay I think is a good site to at least see what the market "asking price" is.

I have a pair of 804m...I see people trying to sell them for $1000 on ebay....I have a standing offer from a coworker for $850 for mine and I think that's about right. My point is people always try to get a couple hundred extra on their asking price.

Thanks for the info on Argon Audio, I'll check them out. I have looked on eBay and it seemed there was a wide range of prices. I listened to the n804 a couple weeks ago and definitely noticed a difference, but it was in store. I've never listened to anything from the 800 series before that because they were all out of my price range. But a used pair in good condition might just work out. I still need to go back and take a long listen to them to see if I like them enough to buy another pair of speakers, when there really is nothing wrong with my current ones.
Thanks again!

2channel lover

Thanks for the info on Argon Audio, I'll check them out. I have looked on eBay and it seemed there was a wide range of prices. I listened to the n804 a couple weeks ago and definitely noticed a difference, but it was in store. I've never listened to anything from the 800 series before that because they were all out of my price range. But a used pair in good condition might just work out. I still need to go back and take a long listen to them to see if I like them enough to buy another pair of speakers, when there really is nothing wrong with my current ones.
Thanks again!
Your ears will obviously need to be the determining factor on whether you spend that cash. It sounds like a dealer is selling these. Like I said earlier, I don't think they are gouging so they might hold firm on the price depending on what they have in them cost wise, but I would still try to get them a bit lower.

No question the N804 will sound better, but that's the danger in this hobby...in most every case there is always a better sounding speaker around the corner. In your case to equate it to cars...in the Mercedes line...the 600 series is like the c class and the 800 series is the s class.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis