B&W CM9's "crappy" - Replacements?

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I am a definite newbie with all this stuff. I wanted to get a stereo for music and house parties and was recommended the Pioneer SC-57 and then got the nicest speakers Best Buy had to offer - Bowers & Wilkins CM9's.

I've been asking questions in the subwoofer section about what kind of subwoofer to add to my set up. In my research and phone calls to SVS and Mark Seaton I was recommended getting an amp for the CM9's so I don't damage them from pushing them too hard from the SC-57.

I asked on the subwoofer section peoples opinion of the Emotiva XPA-2 driving the CM9's. I got a reply that amping those "crappy" speakers would be a waste of money.

Are CM9's really that "crappy"? If so, I still may have time to return them to Best Buy. If I'm able to return them what else do people recommend for the $3,000 price range for floor standing speakers that will be used for music only - I do not have surround sound and I'm not interested in the sound for movies.

Thank you for any advice.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
There's nothing "crappy" about that speaker at all. It might not be everybody's preference, but no speaker is.

The real question is if YOU like them. If you don't, take them back. If you do, be happy and proud of them. I think the CM9 is GORGEOUS. I love the looks of them. I'd be super proud to have them in my room. That said, They wouldn't be my first choice of speaker. All depends on what YOU Like. But no, they aren't crappy in the least. Its a nice speaker IMO.

As far as an external amplifier goes- those speakers really would benefit from one. You're on the right track with Emotiva.

As a response to your other question- in that price range I PERSONALLY would get the Klipsch RF7II. No amp necessary.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I don't think they're crappy but I really don't know. They were the nicest sounding speakers that Best Buy had but as I found out after I did more research there are smaller outfits like SVS and Mark Seaton that are probably making better speakers for the money without the big brand names.

They don't sound crappy to me but I haven't really pushed them hard yet and I don't know how they sound compared to other speakers in the $3,000 price range because that is all Best Buy had to offer. "I don't know what I don't know"....

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think they're crappy but I really don't know. They were the nicest sounding speakers that Best Buy had but as I found out after I did more research there are smaller outfits like SVS and Mark Seaton that are probably making better speakers for the money without the big brand names.

They don't sound crappy to me but I haven't really pushed them hard yet and I don't know how they sound compared to other speakers in the $3,000 price range because that is all Best Buy had to offer. "I don't know what I don't know"....
Ok.. well that does change things a bit... If you bought the speakers simply because they were the nicest BB had to offer, then thats a CRAPPY reason to spend 3 large. And yes, its quite possible that you might find another speaker in that price range or less that you really really like. At your budget, there are options after options. Similar to your subwoofer dilemma. :p

I think its a good speaker. Placebo is strong though, and if you're doubting the purchase you'll likely never enjoy them like you should.

If you got the gloss black- keep them. I love the looks of those... If they're a party speaker- something thats a bit of a conversation piece goes a long ways too. Those speakers fit that bill IMO.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I haven't heard those particularly speakers so I won't comment on whether they're good or not, but I would point out that probably half of the people that give you a hard time about your speakers are probably listening to $500 junk and base all of their opinions on what they heard one time on the internet. Don't take it too personally. My advice would be to find a few local or localish hifi stores and go listen to as many brands and models in your price range as possible. This will give you a much better idea of where your stuff stands and what you reall want / like. Oh, and when you go, make sure that you make a CD of tracks that you both like and are very familiar with. Listen to your stuff with that CD before heading out so that the sound is fresh in your memory.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It's not your speakers. You need highend amplification to drive those speakers. That Pioneer is not going to get it. I used to own a Denon 140 watts x 7 and it was a joke. Could not drive my speakers at all. Gave it away for free.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I bought them because they were the best sounding speakers at BB. I could really tell a difference between them and the other speakers - the Definitive's and the B&W 600 series and even the CM8's. I didn't buy them just because they were the most expensive. I bought them because I could afford them and I could actually notice a difference.

Now realizing how many other brands there are out there and how many options there are I had some doubts when people, with most likely a lot more knowledge in this subject, called them crappy.

I appreciate all the quick responses that put my feelings at ease a little. I still plan on getting the Emotiva XPA-2 to drive them. STILL NOT SURE ON THE SUBWOOFER THOUGH............... GEEZ.

Thank for the help everyone.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Well, based on what else you listened to at BB- it actually provides SOME insight on what you might like. You did good. I read your subwoofer thread again. Those comments come from very knowledgeable individual(s) but with knowledge and experience comes snobby bias sometimes. The beauty of this hobby is that everybody gets to have their opinion and it makes for interesting debate. But don't worry- there are some clearly crappy speakers out there and some that are a very poor value. Yours are far far from that.

Just curious- What kind of music you playing at these parties? And what source are you using? Am I invited?

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I listen to EVERYTHING but slow jams. I like metal, rock, oldies, country, pop, techno, rap, etc etc. That's one of the things that confusing with the subwoofer because I have been told that if I do listen to rap and techno that the ported subs may be better suited.

Right now I'm using my apple devices (laptop, iphone, ipad) through the Pioneer Airplay but plan on getting a decent cd player for some SACD's. You have any recommendations for a good cd/blue ray player that is better suited for music over movies?

Of course you're invited - I'm already getting plans going for new years.... hopefully I'll have a subwoofer by then.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
No they are not crappy speakers. Whoever told you that is just stupid.
Maybe there are better sounding speakers for $3k out there but what sounds good to you may not sound that good to me and vice versa.

Just enjoy and don't worry about other people's opinions too much.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
You have any recommendations for a good cd/blue ray player that is better suited for music over movies?
Honestly, I would probably get the Oppo BDP-93. Its an excellent player that will play anything you throw at it. It gets lots of recommendations here and rightly so. Found Here

Of course you're invited - I'm already getting plans going for new years.... hopefully I'll have a subwoofer by then.
Sweet.. Thanks.. I'll bring a board game and my sleeping bag. :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am a definite newbie with all this stuff. I wanted to get a stereo for music and house parties and was recommended the Pioneer SC-57 and then got the nicest speakers Best Buy had to offer - Bowers & Wilkins CM9's.

I've been asking questions in the subwoofer section about what kind of subwoofer to add to my set up. In my research and phone calls to SVS and Mark Seaton I was recommended getting an amp for the CM9's so I don't damage them from pushing them too hard from the SC-57.

I asked on the subwoofer section peoples opinion of the Emotiva XPA-2 driving the CM9's. I got a reply that amping those "crappy" speakers would be a waste of money.

Are CM9's really that "crappy"? If so, I still may have time to return them to Best Buy. If I'm able to return them what else do people recommend for the $3,000 price range for floor standing speakers that will be used for music only - I do not have surround sound and I'm not interested in the sound for movies.

Thank you for any advice.
Those speakers are not crappy. The CM line from B & W are excellent speakers.

However, as with a lot of B & W speakers they present a difficult load to the amp, in fact pretty certain to blow up most receivers in short order. In addition they will sound far from their best driven by a receiver.

Those speakers have a minimum impedance of 3 ohms! So by rule of thumb they are 3.3 ohm speakers.

Now even the XPA-2 should power those speakers. It provides 300 watts to 8 ohms and 500 to four ohms. That means it starting to become current limited into four ohms let alone 3. However it will deliver 500 watts into four ohms which is well in the power demand of those speakers.

B & W really do need to look at the loads they present to amps. A lot of their speakers have among the most difficult to drive loads in the industry. This makes them sound poor when driven by most systems and creates a lot of extra expense for the owner to get them to perform optimally.

By the way nominal impedance means nothing, that is a trick of manufacturers to buy their speakers even if they will blow most receivers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those speakers are not crappy. The CM line from B & W are excellent speakers.
So at least one (albeit the only one other than me but I am no speaker expert:D) of our resident speaker expert has something nice to say about B&W speakers. If I remember right you did not knock the diamond series either. It is hard for me to understand why others didn't have much nice thing to say about them aside from their build qualities. I can understand their apparent off axis issue but Grant did say they were still voiced to sound accurate so I assume if placement was not an issue they could still be a great choice for some. Personally I put a lot of weight on other aspects such as distortion, power handling, frequency response etc.

The updated diamond specs now mention 60 degree horizontal dispersion within 2 dB of reference. I am pretty sure they did not provide such specs in the first diamond version. If their claims are verified, do you think 60 degrees within 2 dB (to mean that means +/- 1 dB) is at least average for most home applications?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So at least one (albeit the only one other than me but I am no speaker expert:D) of our resident speaker expert has something nice to say about B&W speakers. If I remember right you did not knock the diamond series either. It is hard for me to understand why others didn't have much nice thing to say about them aside from their build qualities. I can understand their apparent off axis issue but Grant did say they were still voiced to sound accurate so I assume if placement was not an issue they could still be a great choice for some. Personally I put a lot of weight on other aspects such as distortion, power handling, frequency response etc.

The updated diamond specs now mention 60 degree horizontal dispersion within 2 dB of reference. I am pretty sure they did not provide such specs in the first diamond version. If their claims are verified, do you think 60 degrees within 2 dB (to mean that means +/- 1 dB) is at least average for most home applications?
Yes, I do like the 800 series on the whole.

I know the 800D very well and listen to them often, at my friends place in Lilydale, over looking the Mississippi River.

Do I like them as much as my rig, no I don't, but they are still a good speaker.

There are problems with them though.

First they are an unbelievably difficult load. They are rated by B & W at 8 ohms. That is just a bare faced lie. Phil has a 400 watt per channel Mac amp, with the auto transformers. So the dealer who should have known better hooked them up with the MAC on the 8 ohm taps. When I first heard them at Phil's place I was very disappointed and so was he. Luckily I went straight to the cause and put them on the four ohm tap.

If you look at the impedance phase curve and do the calculations, then there are some staggering low impedance points. In the region around 100 Hz, where there is a lot of power, the amplifier sees an impedance of 2.4 ohms when you factor in the phase angle. The speaker is pretty much below four ohms from 60 to 800 Hz, where most of the power is.

Now at concert levels, I'm pretty sure those speakers are running the 400 watt Mac out of gas. The meters move very close to the top end on peaks, and I'm sure the ballistics are slow, and my ears tell me that the the amp can clip at listening levels that are entirely reasonable.

The next issue is that the power these speakers will consume is not unlimited and people do blow them. For speakers sold to the professional studio community this is a definite downgrade. However for a professional studio monitor this is a pretty cheap speaker. In this market the offerings of their serious competitors cost a lot more, between two and four times as much. Don't get me wrong however these speakers can handle some serious power.

Now to sound.

First the bass. It is a good bass, but you are aware of port kick in. To me the port does not blend seamlessly with the drivers. This is a common problem with tuned ported boxes in my experience, particularly when F3 is at 30 Hz or less. B & W say they have ameliorated this problem in the Diamonds.

If you look at the measured frequency response graphs, the deviation in the critical mid band is not more than 3db and the peak narrow. There is a 5 db peak at 10K, but this may be artifact. The tweeter does not sound bright to me.

I think the peak in the 3 to 4 kHz area is real. The ear is very unforgiving of trouble in this region. In my experience this is one of the worst regions to have a peak, even if small, and this is small.

The effect to me is that these speakers have a slightly aggressive forward sound stage. I don't want to overplay this, but compared to what I like, and remember I'm old enough to be set in my ways now, the strings have a slight excess of steely string over body. When the brass blazes it sounds to me as if the brass players are out in front. The speakers can not provide that illusion that I favor of the brass coming full throated from behind the strings. I don't want to suggest that the brass is right in your lap, but to me these speakers are perilously close to heading there.

This later I think is what makes them somewhat unforgiving of the source.

I have stated before, that when I have a design and I find I'm only stating to reach for recordings at the apogee of the art, then I start investigating and usually end up with a modification.

I don't want to suggest that these speakers will not throw an image behind the plane of the speaker because they will. However they do not have a deep enough depth of field to completely satisfy me. This is particularly noticeable with music from British Cathedral spaces. With my rig your really do hear the organ above the choir and the two sides of the choir stalls stretching away from you. The 800D speakers will not produce that degree of realism.

As far as off axis, these speakers do not have a particularly narrow sweet spot unless you are too close. I think these speakers sound their best with a greater distance than usual from the speakers. I suspect the Diamonds might be better in this regard.

As I think you know I visited ATC in the beautiful Cotswolds recently, and was graciously entertained by Billy Woodman. I chose to audition their flagship speaker, which is a competitor to the 800D, in its passive iteration.

We listened with a 150 watt per channel amp. We listened at concert level. I never felt the amp was running out of gas.

I could not fault the tonal balance at all and the depth of image and detail was first class, without in any way being over the top. It was a speaker put together with consummate taste.

The only slight criticism was that the bass was slightly light weight. However Billy can't abide a blooming bass and nor can I, and so intentionally over damped them. Certainly no port kick in here.

One of the discs we played was the Beethoven No. 5 from Minnesota. On mine there is more body to the bass strings and tymps but still without blooming. However I put a lot more resources into the bottom end of my rig, so if that were not so, then I would have wasted a lot of time and effort. These were most certainly speakers I could live with and enjoy.

You have to bear in mind however that these speakers are just over twice the price of the 800Ds.

So even at this level I guess you pay for what you get.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
First they are an unbelievably difficult load. They are rated by B & W at 8 ohms. That is just a bare faced lie. Phil has a 400 watt per channel Mac amp, with the auto transformers. So the dealer who should have known better hooked them up with the MAC on the 8 ohm taps. When I first heard them at Phil's place I was very disappointed and so was he. Luckily I went straight to the cause and put them on the four ohm tap.
I think you are right about their power requirments. When I asked to listen to the 802D when they first showed up, the guy let me hear them driven with a 100WPC Musical Fidelity briefly at first and then he brought in a 14B SST. Another dealer told me he needed Krell monoblocks to stop the diamond tweeter (the first generation) from blowing. The other day I was in another dealer's B&W room and there were two 1000W Bryston 28 B SST2 sitting there. I was only there to audition the 804 diamond so he plugged them in to a Class'e CA2300, 300WPC and they sounded great.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think you are right about their power requirments. When I asked to listen to the 802D when they first showed up, the guy let me hear them driven with a 100WPC Musical Fidelity briefly at first and then he brought in a 14B SST. Another dealer told me he needed Krell monoblocks to stop the diamond tweeter (the first generation) from blowing. The other day I was in another dealer's B&W room and there were two 1000W Bryston 28 B SST2 sitting there. I was only there to audition the 804 diamond so he plugged them in to a Class'e CA2300, 300WPC and they sounded great.
I still think those types of mandatory power requirements have to go on the negative side of the ledger.

It basically comes down to the fact that three ways should be at least active in the bass/band pass crossover. I would never do a reference type three way with passive crossovers in that region.

Billy was of that opinion. He can get away with passive versions as he is probably the world's most skillful moving coil transducer engineer.

I did learn a lot by meeting him, especially this chest nut. He told me that if the impedance of a speaker drops below the DC resistance of the speaker at any frequency point, then that speaker is a total dud. It is prima fascia evidence of filter resonance and ringing. Apparently those horrors are out there.

Now he rightly very proud of his minute SCM 7 and these are the only speakers in his home.

These diminutive speaker can produce clean high spls. There sound is stunning. Easily the best small bookshelf speakers I know of. They are gorgeous and would fit into just about any space with elegance.

Now these speakers are sealed and roll off 12 db per octave and so are only 12db down at 45 Hz. So if you used five of these in a 5.1 system or seven in a 7.1 system you would have a perfect fourth order composite high pass filter when combined with an AV crossover.

So if you set the crossover between 80 and 100 HZ, 90 would be optimal, combined with really good subs, I'm pretty sure you would have a magnificent system with high waf. However to make a perfect transition you would need a sub with flat response to at least 400 Hz.

As you know we have this thread about good speakers below 6K. You could buy five SCM 7s for $2500, and have the rest to put to subs.

I would bet that with picking or building just the right subs, the system would be amazing and confounding. In fact the optimal THX set up. The sought of quality Amar Bose can only dream of. I actually think the SCM 7 speakers are more elegant then the Bose cubes, which though small are ugly and I think visually intrusive.

Food for thought.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I didn't know how much time I had left but my schedule just put me away from home for the next 2 months so I decided to return the CM9's to Best Buy this morning. I'll be starting a new thread on here asking for recommendations for replacements. I have about 2 months to decide so I'm going to be a little more thorough in my research this time before buying. Unfortunately, no matter how much research I do on here I won't be able to listen to them.

I do take you all's advice very seriously though. From the advice on the Subs thread I started I did purchase ONE SVS SB-13 Plus with the intention of trying it out and buying a second if I like it.

Thanks everyone. This forum has been a great help to me.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I do like the 800 series on the whole.

I know the 800D very well and listen to them often, at my friends place in Lilydale, over looking the Mississippi River.

Do I like them as much as my rig, no I don't, but they are still a good speaker.

There are problems with them though.

If you look at the impedance phase curve and do the calculations, then there are some staggering low impedance points. In the region around 100 Hz, where there is a lot of power, the amplifier sees an impedance of 2.4 ohms when you factor in the phase angle. The speaker is pretty much below four ohms from 60 to 800 Hz, where most of the power is.

Now at concert levels, I'm pretty sure those speakers are running the 400 watt Mac out of gas. The meters move very close to the top end on peaks, and I'm sure the ballistics are slow, and my ears tell me that the the amp can clip at listening levels that are entirely reasonable.

The next issue is that the power these speakers will consume is not unlimited and people do blow them. For speakers sold to the professional studio community this is a definite downgrade. However for a professional studio monitor this is a pretty cheap speaker. In this market the offerings of their serious competitors cost a lot more, between two and four times as much. Don't get me wrong however these speakers can handle some serious power.

Now to sound.

First the bass. It is a good bass, but you are aware of port kick in. To me the port does not blend seamlessly with the drivers. This is a common problem with tuned ported boxes in my experience, particularly when F3 is at 30 Hz or less. B & W say they have ameliorated this problem in the Diamonds.

If you look at the measured frequency response graphs, the deviation in the critical mid band is not more than 3db and the peak narrow. There is a 5 db peak at 10K, but this may be artifact. The tweeter does not sound bright to me.

I think the peak in the 3 to 4 kHz area is real. The ear is very unforgiving of trouble in this region. In my experience this is one of the worst regions to have a peak, even if small, and this is small.

The effect to me is that these speakers have a slightly aggressive forward sound stage. I don't want to overplay this, but compared to what I like, and remember I'm old enough to be set in my ways now, the strings have a slight excess of steely string over body. When the brass blazes it sounds to me as if the brass players are out in front. The speakers can not provide that illusion that I favor of the brass coming full throated from behind the strings. I don't want to suggest that the brass is right in your lap, but to me these speakers are perilously close to heading there.

This later I think is what makes them somewhat unforgiving of the source.

I have stated before, that when I have a design and I find I'm only stating to reach for recordings at the apogee of the art, then I start investigating and usually end up with a modification.

I don't want to suggest that these speakers will not throw an image behind the plane of the speaker because they will. However they do not have a deep enough depth of field to completely satisfy me. This is particularly noticeable with music from British Cathedral spaces. With my rig your really do hear the organ above the choir and the two sides of the choir stalls stretching away from you. The 800D speakers will not produce that degree of realism.

As far as off axis, these speakers do not have a particularly narrow sweet spot unless you are too close. I think these speakers sound their best with a greater distance than usual from the speakers. I suspect the Diamonds might be better in this regard.

As I think you know I visited ATC in the beautiful Cotswolds recently, and was graciously entertained by Billy Woodman. I chose to audition their flagship speaker, which is a competitor to the 800D, in its passive iteration.

We listened with a 150 watt per channel amp. We listened at concert level. I never felt the amp was running out of gas.

I could not fault the tonal balance at all and the depth of image and detail was first class, without in any way being over the top. It was a speaker put together with consummate taste.

The only slight criticism was that the bass was slightly light weight. However Billy can't abide a blooming bass and nor can I, and so intentionally over damped them. Certainly no port kick in here.

One of the discs we played was the Beethoven No. 5 from Minnesota. On mine there is more body to the bass strings and tymps but still without blooming. However I put a lot more resources into the bottom end of my rig, so if that were not so, then I would have wasted a lot of time and effort. These were most certainly speakers I could live with and enjoy.

You have to bear in mind however that these speakers are just over twice the price of the 800Ds.

So even at this level I guess you pay for what you get.

I love reading your reviews :D

You need to go listen to the Salk Soundscapes and Philharmonic 3s and give us your report :D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Wow, he listened, he liked, someone told him over the phone that they were "crappy" so he returned them.

Interesting indeed!!!

I hope he does his research this time & gets something he likes but he needs to have more confidence in this next buy. Otherwise he'll go through speakers like socks because there is is always SOMEONE who will call any given speaker "crappy". Maybe just stay off the phone & dont talk to strangers :) haha...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis