AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:) BMW in the driveway, B&W in the family room.
It's a no-brainer right there. That's automatic. Think no further. :D

What is the size of your room anyway? Why is it too small?

I would rather get a used 802N over an 803D. The only "real" difference is the Aluminum tweeter vs. Diamond tweeter anyway. :D

Gotta have that Marlan Head, which really makes the sound. It's that shinny black head. I mean really. :eek: :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Totally agree, that shiny head does more to the sound than my cable lifters.:D

E

English210

Audioholic
It's a no-brainer right there. That's automatic. Think no further. :D

What is the size of your room anyway? Why is it too small?

I would rather get a used 802N over an 803D. The only "real" difference is the Aluminum tweeter vs. Diamond tweeter anyway. :D

Gotta have that Marlan Head, which really makes the sound. It's that shinny black head. I mean really. :eek: :D
The room is 12X19X8, and very 'live' right now, but I'm going to add treatments. It's the fact that it's also the family room so it's lumbered with furniture as well ;) Pesky sectionals!! Plus there's a fireplace in the middle, so the equipment is behind one of the speakers now, and SWMBO wants a slimline speaker that can be pushed back for everyday use. My current Kappas are about 17-18" wide. She'd prefer I went with the PSB Synchrony's (to match center/surrounds), but since the serious listening I do solo is 2-channel (with the option of the sub as well), I'd 'sacrifice' any slight voicing issues to have better 2-channel.

Now, if that was 'Skinny' instead of 'Shinny' I'd have a shot :) - But you're really gonna make me actually listen to the 802D2's arent ya? I've avoided it so far as a non-starter.

Flyboy, I take it you are happy with your upgrade? And the price you got? Did you do any comparisons, or do have any initial thoughts?

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Super happy. Im out flying but ill post my impressions when i get to the hotel tonight. ;-)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am extremely pleased with my 802D2.

They sound fabulous.

But even when I'm listening to the Salon2 or 201/2 or Orion3, etc., I'm still looking at the 802D2. :eek:

When people walk into the room, the 802D2 is the FIRST thing they ogle. It's a magnetic hypnotic piece of art that has people agog. It's not just a great sounding loudspeaker. :D

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I have no French products in my rig, mostly US made stuff

I had a French car, and that was enough for me, no more :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I am extremely pleased with my 802D2.

They sound fabulous.

But even when I'm listening to the Salon2 or 201/2 or Orion3, etc., I'm still looking at the 802D2. :eek:

When people walk into the room, the 802D2 is the FIRST thing they ogle. It's a magnetic hypnotic piece of art that has people agog. It's not just a great sounding loudspeaker. :D
Get rid of your pink sunglasses :D

E

English210

Audioholic
I have no French products in my rig, mostly US made stuff

I had a French car, and that was enough for me, no more :p
That also makes perfect sense!! They make Jaguars look like sensibly engineered masterpieces!! I would not put Focal in that same category though....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That also makes perfect sense!! They make Jaguars look like sensibly engineered masterpieces!! I would not put Focal in that same category though....
Agree, they are comparable with B&W aside from being French. I am familiar with the 802D, 802 Diamond (so call D2), 804S, 804 Diamond. In fact, at one time I remember trying to push ADTG towards those Marlan Heads so it is good to know he never blames me for that..yet.:D It was a tough decision for me in the end to go with the 1028. I like the way the violin sounds on either one of the Diamonds or the Focal but the 1028 and 804 Diamond can't compete with the 802 without the help of a couple of subs. The 1038 may come close but I am quite sure 1028 plus two JL Audio would sound better. I see that flyboy thought the Focal sound a little bright for him but I think you need to listen for yourself as this warm/bright thing can be highly subjective.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
While I prefer the 802 over the 1028, the 1028 is an awesome speaker. Had I not listened to the 802, I would have been happy with the 1028. Like PENG suggests, it needs to be paired with a sub. If I don't sell them, I'm going to move them to the living room and set them up with the MA7000 after I buy an amp/pre for the 802. I kind of want to keep them. :D

E

English210

Audioholic
Agree, they are comparable with B&W aside from being French. I am familiar with the 802D, 802 Diamond (so call D2), 804S, 804 Diamond. In fact, at one time I remember trying to push ADTG towards those Marlan Heads so it is good to know he never blames me for that..yet.:D It was a tough decision for me in the end to go with the 1028. I like the way the violin sounds on either one of the Diamonds or the Focal but the 1028 and 804 Diamond can't compete with the 802 without the help of a couple of subs. The 1038 may come close but I am quite sure 1028 plus two JL Audio would sound better. I see that flyboy thought the Focal sound a little bright for him but I think you need to listen for yourself as this warm/bright thing can be highly subjective.
When I listened to the 1028's, there was track that had a solo violin, and palpability of the bow across the strings was one of the elements that was so visceral and real. Obvioulsy, I liked more than that, but that was a standout moment...truly very impressive! I have been one to prefer 2.0 to 2.1 up until now, but I'm enough of a realist to know that if I go with a slimmer speaker, bass will sacrificed, and I will need to incorporate the sub. I have a Hsu ULS15 sealed sub, and love what it does for movies, but I'll need to do a fai amount of work to integrate it properly with my mains. I agree with you about the subjectivity of warm/bright, as well as the part the room plays. I'm also aware that something that sounds great in an audition can become 'too much' after a while. Another speaker I'm interested in is the Aerial 7T's, but have no option to audition them.
Flyboylr45, given that the 802 is superior in the bass region, would you say their are other differences in other areas of the spectrum? Is the 'flavor' different?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
When I listened to the 1028's, there was track that had a solo violin, and palpability of the bow across the strings was one of the elements that was so visceral and real. Obvioulsy, I liked more than that, but that was a standout moment...truly very impressive! I have been one to prefer 2.0 to 2.1 up until now, but I'm enough of a realist to know that if I go with a slimmer speaker, bass will sacrificed, and I will need to incorporate the sub. I have a Hsu ULS15 sealed sub, and love what it does for movies, but I'll need to do a fai amount of work to integrate it properly with my mains. I agree with you about the subjectivity of warm/bright, as well as the part the room plays. I'm also aware that something that sounds great in an audition can become 'too much' after a while. Another speaker I'm interested in is the Aerial 7T's, but have no option to audition them.
Flyboylr45, given that the 802 is superior in the bass region, would you say their are other differences in other areas of the spectrum? Is the 'flavor' different?
Somehow, in general I've always been for slimmer speakers in general, it just works better for me, seems like more realism..... more enjoyable music :p
- Perhaps it's due easier to make a slimmer cabinet that's resonance free
- Perhaps diffraction is part of the key
- Some other things

Or maybe it's my imagination playing me tricks :D

Downside as you stated but there are solutions to that...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
- Perhaps it's due easier to make a slimmer cabinet that's resonance free
Resonance-free is a strong feature of the 802D2. Very few speakers in the world can outperform the 802D2/800D2 in this category. The Salon2 and KEF 207/2 cannot beat the 800/802D2 in this regard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis