B&W 685 speaker cable

Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys

I’m looking for something to complement my new B&W 685, I plan to buy other B&W 6xx in the future so I’m going rewire my system in a oner

My current cable is “Gale Electronics XL 189” and my amp is my amp is onkyo TX-NR509, based on review of the speakers I am not bi-wiring them

One other thing I’m worried about is I will have to use a face plate to extend the length of my cable for the rear speakers meaning I will have some of the rear cable as my current cable and whatever I get based on recommendation . Will this affect the sound at all or will it not matter too much as there only surround speakers?

I have a low budget maybe ~£4-£8 i can maybe go a bit higher.

Thanks
Jay

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You want something to compliment your speakers?

Why? Do they have low self esteem?

Seriously, I wouldn't get too concerned about the cables as long as they are of adequate gauge and long wnough to reach from your amp to the speakers.

As for your original question, perhaps you should ask B&W what they recommend. Please let us know what they say.

Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
I have only ever used the Gale Electronics XL 189 cables so I don’t know,I also find the cable to be ugly looking to get single round cables.

There is maybe more emphases on the high end more bass response woul me great.

What cable do you use and why did you choose them?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I use fairly generic 12 gauge cable swith banana plugs on the ends.

If you expect them to alter the tonal response of your system, you're either in for a dissapointment or have a great imagination.

If a cable DOES alter the sound of your system, it's got a problem.

Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
I use fairly generic 12 gauge cable swith banana plugs on the ends.

If you expect them to alter the tonal response of your system, you're either in for a dissapointment or have a great imagination.

If a cable DOES alter the sound of your system, it's got a problem.
I didn’t realize it was pick on the noob day :(

Reading review about cables on What-Hi I notice phrases like

“Given the price the results are extremely satisfying, with this cable performing admirably with detail, dynamics and subtlety, while there’s a lovely expressive midrange and firm bass too”

“Musical and expressive, there’s little to fault, apart from a slight lightness to the bass.”

Sure there’s a point where it’s over kill however I wouldn’t use doorbell wire.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doorbell wire would work fine if it were of sufficient AWG. Of all the things in your system, speaker wire has the least affect of anything. Mark isn't picking on you, he just has a colorful way of putting it, but he is correct. Reviews of speaker wire should be taken with a grain of salt at best.

I use Canare 4S11 from Bluejeans currently, but as long as the wire is large enough to handle the distance for the load, it will do the job. The 685s are a pretty typical speaker (specs, not that they are bad speakers) and using exotic wire for them isn't going to alter them to the point where they sound different. I've tried $3/ft wire just to see if there was a difference with my own ears. So you can spend your money however you like, but you would be far better served putting it elsewhere in your system than in wire.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's not "pick on the noob" day.

I didn’t realize it was pick on the noob day :(

Reading review about cables on What-Hi I notice phrases like

“Given the price the results are extremely satisfying, with this cable performing admirably with detail, dynamics and subtlety, while there’s a lovely expressive midrange and firm bass too”

“Musical and expressive, there’s little to fault, apart from a slight lightness to the bass.”

Sure there’s a point where it’s over kill however I wouldn't use doorbell wire.
It's "give it to the noob straight" day. It always is here.

If you want fairy tales that will regale you with promises of wonder and delight, none of which can be proven out by scientific testing, then perhaps this is not the place you want to ask those questions.

If, however, you do want that sort of stuff, this site will fill your mind with wonderful descriptions full of all the flourishes and buzz words that make this hobby a wonder to outsiders. Personally, I love this one.

You asked a question. I gave you an honest answer. I'm sorry if it was not what you wanted to hear, but it was what you needed to hear.

Whether you choose to "waste" the few pennies it would take to try to prove me wrong against whatever hi bux cable you eventually wind up with is up to you.

...but we would really like you to experiment for yourself and stick around. It's really anice place.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

If you want fairy tales that will regale you with promises of wonder and delight, none of which can be proven out by scientific testing, then perhaps this is not the place you want to ask those questions.

If, however, you do want that sort of stuff, this site will fill your mind with wonderful descriptions full of all the flourishes and buzz words that make this hobby a wonder to outsiders. Personally, I love this one.

You asked a question. I gave you an honest answer. I'm sorry if it was not what you wanted to hear, but it was what you needed to hear.

Whether you choose to "waste" the few pennies it would take to try to prove me wrong against whatever hi bux cable you eventually wind up with is up to you.

...but we would really like you to experiment for yourself and stick around. It's really anice place.
When it comes to wire, it is this one: Speaker Wire No BS, just the truth.

Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
I will stick round i like this forum.

First off I think we got off on the wrong foot! :(

I think reading something can often make it sound different to how you meant it to sound.

I have only ever had the gale speaker cable and based on what I was reading on What-Hi it appeared that it did make some different.

I don’t want to “waste” my money which is why I asked and I don’t want to be told fairy tales I just didn’t realize that it wouldn’t make a different.

Your answer however is mostly what I was looking for, I confuse the way you put it is as you picking on me.

I will stick round i like this forum.
Jay

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to hear it.

And, as time goes on, I'm sure you'll see my style isn't meant to be offensive, just "interesting".

Well, not towards you, anyway... ;) There are some, however...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis