B&O turntable ? only one channel works

O

Oldspkr

Audiophyte
I just set up my turntable for the first time ..going into a pioneer vsx9700s
and only one channel works..I switch the connections and it switches to the othe side..Do I need a phono pre amp? or a bad cable end? Or do you think I have more problems with my new to me turntable..(yard sale)

O

Oldspkr

Audiophyte
I think I found my answer... the MM cartridge signal is not compitable with
the receiver?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
its probably a bad cable. If your hearing signal from one side you should be hearing it from the other side too regardless of if your cartridge is compatible. Also check the headshell leads. Do a continuity test from the headshell leads to the rca connectors if you have a multimeter. There should be no circuitry in between these two points unless your table has a built in phono preamp.

O

Oldspkr

Audiophyte
Thanks Haoleb ... Is it worth taking it apart from the back..to replace both cables..to ohm it out I would have to do that..Or i guess I cold try just
replacing one end..

I checked the cartridge..I think it is ok

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
you should be able to measure continuity from the headshell where the cartridge is to the rca plugs. Then at least you can determine which side of the cable is bad if that is indeed the case.

When i got my turntable i had a bad cable and ended up just replacing the entire cable from inside the turntable since the one that was attached from the factory is basically crap to begin with.

O

Oldspkr

Audiophyte
Thanks again for the info ... I took care of the problem today
I picked up a 1979 Technics quartz SL 5200 direct drive
This will work until I decide if I am going to keep the B&O

O

Oldspkr

Audiophyte
I had a local electronic guy look at the Turntable for me..
it is a bad cartridge causing the one side not working..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis