A

aqteh

Audiophyte
Hi, Im moving to a new house and getting new speakers for my living room, while shifting my old 2.1 speakers to my bedroom.

New living room is average about 20 ft x 25 ft.

Receiver : Onkyo TX-SR507

Subwoofers: 2 HSU VTF2 MK2

So now coming to the speakers. Maybe I was quite dependant on this site's recommendation and now is in a dilemma between quite a few choices:

Front choice:

1) RBH 616C x 3 (Centre, LF, RF) (RBH all the way)
2) RBH 6CT + RBH 616 C (RBH all the way)
3) Axiom Epic 80 + RBH 616 C (Mix and match)
4) Axiom Epic 80 + VP 150 (Axiom all the way)

Surround choice:

1) RBH 44c sides + RBH4c rear
2) Axiom QS4 x 4 rear

I am interested in 90% HT 10% music.

Which is the better setup? I know RBH is slightly more expensive than Axiom, but is it worth the price? Also, can I mix and match axiom's surround and RBH's front channels or the latter?

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I've never heard either brand so I can't help with that. What I can help with is that your front three should come from the same company and be from the same line if not the same speakers. As for the surrounds they don't have to match the fronts.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Hi, Im moving to a new house and getting new speakers for my living room, while shifting my old 2.1 speakers to my bedroom.

New living room is average about 20 ft x 25 ft.

Receiver : Onkyo TX-SR507

Subwoofers: 2 HSU VTF2 MK2

So now coming to the speakers. Maybe I was quite dependant on this site's recommendation and now is in a dilemma between quite a few choices:

Front choice:

1) RBH 616C x 3 (Centre, LF, RF) (RBH all the way)
2) RBH 6CT + RBH 616 C (RBH all the way)
3) Axiom Epic 80 + RBH 616 C (Mix and match)
4) Axiom Epic 80 + VP 150 (Axiom all the way)

Surround choice:

2) Axiom QS4 x 4 rear

I am interested in 90% HT 10% music.

Which is the better setup? I know RBH is slightly more expensive than Axiom, but is it worth the price? Also, can I mix and match axiom's surround and RBH's front channels or the latter?
I have RBH Signature In-walls and have nothing but praise for them. I also have their in-wall surrounds, and they are just fine. I can't compare against Axiom, since I've never had them, but they look like some terrific speakers and I've only heard good things about them.

Just keep the front three the same, and if you can, all 7 is even better.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I am quite happy with my Axioms, but have never heard any RBH speakers.

I was actually interested in a set of RBH towers that was reviewed here around a year ago, but never got a response form them (I don't think they sell in Canada).

For the M80 setup, you can check out the Hearing Things forum on Axioms site to see if there is someone in your area that will give you an audition. I do not know if RBH offers a similar program.

You can mix and match on surrounds, but as mperfect and Highbar mention, keep the front 3 the same.

A

aqteh

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Guess RBH all the way should be ok.

Now coming to my 2nd question:

Comparing between

Surround choice:

2) Axiom QS4 x 4 rear

Any infos? Which should I get?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Having heard most all of the RBH speakers, and your 90% HT - 10% Music, I'd recommend three MC-616C for the fronts and 2 MC-44C for the sides. Or even better go with five MC-616C.

A

aqteh

Audiophyte
I cant afford that much 414Cs

But then. rears & sides don't need to be that huge isn't it?

Anyway, whats the difference between quadpole and bipole? Is it an advancement or is it just a marketing gimmick?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Have you had a chance to listen to any of these speakers?
What is your budget? And is it for 5 speakers or 7 speakers?

Personally, I think it is well worth it to spend the extra money for the RBH speakers, but that's just me. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Happy with Axiom and never heard RBH.

Try to demo both if possible.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I cant afford that much 414Cs

But then. rears & sides don't need to be that huge isn't it?

Anyway, whats the difference between quadpole and bipole? Is it an advancement or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Contact Jim E. on the forum here. He is a dealer and can get you favorable pricing on RBH. He is who I got my RBH from. Where are you at? Maybe some forum readers here who have RBH live close to you...that's 10x than a showroom.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Its an advance. You want diffuse sound for surrounds to mimic what we hear in the real world and quadpoles give you that diffuse sound.

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
Hey bro, I bought my Axioms about 8 months ago and I fell in love with them. I got M60s for main, VP150 for center and QS8s for surround. I spent quite a bit of time auditioning speakers and no doubt there are some better speakers out there (tannoy B&W etc) but the price you pay for the quality you get, Axiom is a clear winner.
BTW, if you are looking to get quadpole QS4, I would say apend another couple of hundred dollars and get QS8s. Power handling for QS8s is significantly better than QS4s.

Hope this helps

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Yes RBH is sold in Canada

I am quite happy with my Axioms, but have never heard any RBH speakers.

I was actually interested in a set of RBH towers that was reviewed here around a year ago, but never got a response form them (I don't think they sell in Canada).

For the M80 setup, you can check out the Hearing Things forum on Axioms site to see if there is someone in your area that will give you an audition. I do not know if RBH offers a similar program.

You can mix and match on surrounds, but as mperfect and Highbar mention, keep the front 3 the same.
RBH is definitely sold in Canada, one authorized in the West and one unauthorized but authorized to sell their other product lines, thus able to bring you RBH in central and Eastern Canada.

Try here for Western Canada's only authorized distributor, they are pretty easy to deal with, offer fast shipping and good pricing.

http://www.swisco.ca

Last edited:
ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. Guess RBH all the way should be ok.

Now coming to my 2nd question:

Comparing between

Surround choice:

2) Axiom QS4 x 4 rear

Any infos? Which should I get?

RBH - definitely what I feel is a better value for money overall, though I do credit Axiom with some great speakers, I'd stick to RBH all around. THE MC series uses an aluminum driver that is very fast, rear effect clarity will stand out (rain, gunshots, etc.)

F

fredk

Audioholic General
RBH is definitely sold in Canada
Too bad they didn't reply and tell me that at the time. They would have made a sale. It astounds me how often companies do not reply to inquiries.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
I understand your frustration

Too bad they didn't reply and tell me that at the time. They would have made a sale. It astounds me how often companies do not reply to inquiries.
RBH has always been tagged as the best speaker you've never heard of. :)
Unfortunately, they hardly see the end user market until installed.
They are usually not found in retail outlets and are generally sold by wholesale dealers to new home builders, low voltage installers and custom theatre installers. Your comments don't fall on deaf ears though and I will definitely pass on the feedback.

I have some bias towards RBH, however I have worked with quite a few speaker lines and have great respect for real manufacturers like Axiom. When you get into this high end marketplace, it is really just splitting hairs with such choices.

I am sure that you have no regrets with Axiom, they are certainly more than capable of doing the job.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis