Axiom Theater System-sub help plz

L

Lostinthedark

Audiophyte
Hi, just want to start by saying this is a great forum here. Thinking about this system setup.

Fronts: axiom M60Ti
Center: Axiom VP150
Surround: Axiom QS8
Rear: Axiom M22Ti
Sub: Klipsch KWS12
Receiver: Denon 3806

My room is 16' X 29' with 9' ceiling, carpeted and pretty well closed with one entry door and a couple windows.

I am looking to keep the cost as reasonable as possible on this system, but don't want to sacrifice any quality. But if anything here is overkill and I could step it down it could bring the overall cost down on the system. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:

Would the SVS PB12-ISD outperform the higher powered Klipsch KWS12 or is it a must to go with the SVS PB12-ISD/2. Is the benefit of the ISD/2 that big a performance gain with the speaker setup above?

Want to do 7.1 surround for movies and have good performance for music. I listen to 50/50 music vs. movies. Would the M22ti perform well in the rear or should I consider another set of QS8's for the rear? What would sound better for music in the application?

R

RMK!

Lostinthedark said:
Hi, just want to start by saying this is a great forum here. Thinking about this system setup.

Fronts: axiom M60Ti
Center: Axiom VP150
Surround: Axiom QS8
Rear: Axiom M22Ti
Sub: Klipsch KWS12
Receiver: Denon 3806

My room is 16' X 29' with 9' ceiling, carpeted and pretty well closed with one entry door and a couple windows.

I am looking to keep the cost as reasonable as possible on this system, but don't want to sacrifice any quality. But if anything here is overkill and I could step it down it could bring the overall cost down on the system. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:

Would the SVS PB12-ISD outperform the higher powered Klipsch KWS12 or is it a must to go with the SVS PB12-ISD/2. Is the benefit of the ISD/2 that big a performance gain with the speaker setup above?

Want to do 7.1 surround for movies and have good performance for music. I listen to 50/50 music vs. movies. Would the M22ti perform well in the rear or should I consider another set of QS8's for the rear? What would sound better for music in the application?
You have a good sized room (>4000CF) so I think the PB12-ISD-2 would be the better choice of the two you mentioned. If you can stretch the budget a bit, the Axiom EP500 or the SVS PB12-Plus/2 would provide a better HT experience.

J

jandawil

Enthusiast
I have the Klipsch KSW12 (Not sure if we are talking about the same sub as opposed to the KWS12?? which I have not heard of) and it's great for my living room HT, but I am building a dedicated HT and I don't feel the Klipsch will do the job speaking from experience. Keep in mind that this is a $250 SW (street price) so you get what you pay for. It has served me well but it does not compare to the other subs you are considering. I am planning on the Axiom setup with the EP500 which is considerably more $$. Your HT is going to be larger than mine as well as mine is 16' X 21'. A good rule of thumb coming from the experts in the AVS forums is you need to spend about $1 to $2 per cubic foot for bass so do the math. It can add up. I will also plan on adding another SW in the future. With the enhanced LFE the newer DVD's are putting out, you need to invest in a quality SW. Hope this helps...

Jon

A

Ajax

Audioholic
The 22s will do fine as rear surrounds. However, if you're not going to be listening to a lot of Hi Rez music (SACDs and DVD-As), IMHO, another set of QS8s in the rear would be better, IMHO. They would be more immersing with movies yet still serve you well with Hi Rez music. If you ARE into SACDs and DVD-As then the 22s are preferable, and will still do a respectable job with movies.

I agree with the other guys when they say you should save your pennies and get a more emphatic subwoofer, like the EP500 or one of the SVS subs.

C

chicagomd

Audioholic Intern
Give Axiom a call. I spoke with them a number of times when I was trying to figure out the best configuration for my system. Also remember the 30 day demo policy: If you don't like the sound return it.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
Hey it's good to see I have a nearby Axiomite :) I am in Wilmington not far from you.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub and speaker recs.

I second the recomendation for the QS8s for the rear surrounds. If you want to save a little money, consider ordering from the Axiom outlet. You could also downgrade the rears to the M2i's, they have the same size driver as the QS8s and M60s.

For subs, check out SVS and HSU for 12" models that can fill your large room. If you want an Axiom sub, consider saving for the high end EP-500.

L

Lostinthedark

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the advice. I am now leaning toward the SVS PB12-plus/2. Just hope the wife will not run me out the house for it, haha. Going to have to scale down to 5.1 for now to allow for the extra SW cash and will get an extra set of QS8's for rear.

Thanks again for the help :)

L

Lostinthedark

Audiophyte
Oh, just wanted to say that I am buying through the factory outlet. Had no idea that option was available as I didn't see a link to it on Axiom's website. Only downside is the waiting period could be six weeks. But for $300.00 savings, it is well worth it imo. So JcPanny, you saved me $'s with that advice. Would have never known about that. Thanks again.

Link to axiom factory outlet for any interested

http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i thihnk if you buy 5 things at once i think they give you a 10% discount. something like that at least.

not sure if that goes on top of the factory outlet deal though.

A

Ajax

Audioholic
Buy from the factory outlet and you get 10% off. Buy 5 items and get another 5% off.

jetyi83 said:
i thihnk if you buy 5 things at once i think they give you a 10% discount. something like that at least.

not sure if that goes on top of the factory outlet deal though.

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
Axiom, how do they sound?

I've been considering purchasing Axioms speakers. Right now I'm
comparing Axiom, Def tech, PSB, klipsch. I'm looking for the Movie sound
and quality Music also. I'm a little nervous about ordering the Axioms without
hearing them. The 30 trail period sounds good but I would still like to get some
views from Axiom owners. Also on the SubEP500. I would like to order all from
the same location, so is the EP500 comparable to the svs sub?
thanks
Jpaul

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
ep500 supposedly competes with the ultra, but some people say it doesnt.
its still in the open. not many people have heard both so its hard to say.

ep500 is much much smaller than the svs sub though, so if you want to save some space dont get an svs. They are pretty huge.

i have the m22ti's vp150, and qs8's. im pretty happy with them. Eventually im goin to upgrade the fronts to the m80's and use 7.1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
From what I gathered with Craigsub's shoot out, the EP500 played better above 25Hz, the Ultra and EP500 were the same 25Hz to 18Hz, and the Ultra took over 18Hz below.

SheepStar

A

Ajax

Audioholic
You're very close. Actually Craig said The EP500 had the advantage above 22 Hz, the two were similar from 18 to 22 Hz, and the SVS had the advantge below 18 Hz.

I was a participant at Craig's GTG, and, having heard both subs, I strongly feel the EP500 is comparable to the SVS Ultra. They are both competent subs, and I doubt anyone would be disappointed in either.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Lostinthedark said:
But for $300.00 savings, it is well worth it imo. So JcPanny, you saved me $'s with that advice. Would have never known about that. Thanks again.
QUOTE]

Lost,
So, do I get a cut?
Just kidding, enjoy the new speaker system and post your review when you have everything setup. Use that money you saved to get the sub you really wanted from SVS. Also, if you email SVS, they will honestly tell you what the best options are for your size room.

P.S. After you have completed your high end HT, you might have to change your screen name. You have seen the light.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis