Axiom Swan Revel b&w Comparison

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking to get a set of tower speakers for my basement. The room is about 22 wide x 26 deep. The back about 1/3 actually bumps out to about 32' deep.

My current setup has been mostly for home theater. Axiom M22, VP150, QS8's and a custom jl sub Annunaki built. That setup works great and very happy with home theater, or sitting around that area listening to music. My current setup towards the back I'm only reading about 70 db and I'd like that to hit closer to 85db. It's mainly for while I'm exercising so I like to have the volume cranked up a bit during that.

One of the guys on the Axiom site was generous enough to allow me into his home to listen to his M80's. Really like those and I know they'll do the trick for me. I was also considering going with the M60's as they are cheaper and I could use the money saved towards my new tv purchase so I'd like to stick to that $1,000 budget.

The speaker I choose would also need to have a beefy enough center channel as if I decide not to go with the Axiom's I'd sell the M22's and VP150 and need to get an adequate center for that large a room.

Based on this here is my consideration and wondering who has heard them in a comparison as some are ID and I can't listen to them, but wanted to get an idea of how they sound.

Axiom M80- I liked, might consider M60 as they are cheaper and will probably be fine for me.

B&W 683. I heard these side by side Paradigm Studio 60 and I preferred the B&W 683 slightly more. I've read numerous times Axiom M60 and Studio 60 are very similar. Just over budget new, but used keeps me under.

Revel F12. Heard and read many good things about them, but haven't heard them. Wondering how they sound, especially in comparison to the others I've heard. Over budget used, but used keeps me under budget.

Swan Diva 6.1. Same comments as the Revel. $999 a pair on oz theater and they are very nice looking.

I was also considering the PSB T65 that are closing out at $769 a pair. Decent sounding, but I'm thinking the others above for slightly more money are going to be much better.

If anyone has heard some of these and could comment on how they sound in comparison to the others that would be great.

J

just listening

Audioholic
With a room that size and your listening habits I'd highly suggest you also include the Aperion 6T's. I think they offer the best qualities of both the B&W and the Paradigm models you mentioned.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I have the Axiom M60v2's paired with a VP150 in a room that is 18 x 18 x 17 high. The VP150 sounds great in the room and I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm very happy with the M60's with my listening position on the opposite end of the room from the speakers or roughly 15 feet away. They are plenty loud for me and I have to be careful to not go too loud at night. I don't know if that helps or not but they do produce good sound!

:p

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I have the Axiom M60v2's paired with a VP150 in a room that is 18 x 18 x 17 high. The VP150 sounds great in the room and I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm very happy with the M60's with my listening position on the opposite end of the room from the speakers or roughly 15 feet away. They are plenty loud for me and I have to be careful to not go too loud at night. I don't know if that helps or not but they do produce good sound!

:p
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the M60's will work as well. I am wondering more how the Swan's and Revel's compare sound wise to the B&W 683, Studio 60, and M80's since those I have heard.

just listening, thanks for the info about the Aperion 6t's. I see they hit the price point and have a beefy enough center as well. Probably go used if I bought those though as they are at the higher end.
I know there are a ton of speakers in this price point so my search could go forever in comparing.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
Not to bump my own speakers, but I compared all of those and you may want to add the Totem Mite to your list. I liked them the most.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
any have any thoughts or have listened to the Swans or Revel?

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
any have any thoughts or have listened to the Swans or Revel?

I own the powered monitor M200MKII, exquisite bookshelf speaker, that also works well to listen to your computer music. My director has the Swans Diva 6.2, and I've listened to them on numerous occasions. They are great detailed speakers, but the kind you want to relax and listen to the best music, enjoying artist being right there in the room. They have furniture quality cabinets, arc shaped back, large woofers, deep bass. I have Jamo speakers now, but if I go up a few levels, these will be my choice. I've added the internet source for these speakers, should you really be interested. They are packed in a heavy white cotton, draw string covers, and you are given white cotton gloves to handle the speakers to keep prints off the surface.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/loudspeakers/swan-diva/p/swan-diva-6-2/cPath/21_22/products_id/29

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I ordered the Axiom M60's and they arrived on Thursday. Only got Friday as a really good day to listen to them so far.

newness factor is still there, but so far I am pleased with them. The PSB Imagine T's were the speakers I auditioned that I liked best, but those are $2,000 compared to $990 for the Axiom's and there isn't a $1000 difference between the two to my ears.

From the notes I took auditioning speakers I'd give the B&W 683's the slight edge over the M60's. Not sure what you call it, but I'd say they have a little more oomph/fuller sound in the mids that I like. The 683's are $1500 msrp. Not sure what most can get them for under that but my local dealer wasn't going down much. They aren't worth an extra $500 if you ask me.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I ordered the Axiom M60's and they arrived on Thursday. Only got Friday as a really good day to listen to them so far.

newness factor is still there, but so far I am pleased with them. The PSB Imagine T's were the speakers I auditioned that I liked best, but those are $2,000 compared to $990 for the Axiom's and there isn't a $1000 difference between the two to my ears.

From the notes I took auditioning speakers I'd give the B&W 683's the slight edge over the M60's. Not sure what you call it, but I'd say they have a little more oomph/fuller sound in the mids that I like. The 683's are $1500 msrp. Not sure what most can get them for under that but my local dealer wasn't going down much. They aren't worth an extra $500 if you ask me.
By chance, are you the fellow that he is building the AE sub for:eek:? Btw...good choice on going with the M60's since your other speakers are Axiom...you know what your getting.

Regards, Bill.... :)

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
By chance, are you the fellow that he is building the AE sub for:eek:? Btw...good choice on going with the M60's since your other speakers are Axiom...you know what your getting.

Regards, Bill.... :)
who's he? I had Annunaki build my jl sub which is one of the builds in his signature is that who you are referring to?

I am currently not having him build me another, but then again you bring up a good point maybe I need a second sub. No, must reduce the urge for more audio. I gotta get a tv first. That 32" dinosaur from 1994 just won't die.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
who's he? I had Annunaki build my jl sub which is one of the builds in his signature is that who you are referring to?

I am currently not having him build me another, but then again you bring up a good point maybe I need a second sub. No, must reduce the urge for more audio. I gotta get a tv first. That 32" dinosaur from 1994 just won't die.
Sorry I apologize... reading your sig I thought the sub was pending...duh:eek:.

Yea ...I'd get you that TV first...lol:).

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
You don't need it to die, kids will be going back to college soon and they'll be looking for cheap electronics/furniture. You should try to sell it (of course the 36" I sold a couple of years ago was only a 2004...not sure what kind of a market there is for a 1994, but for the right price someone will take it). My wife told me I could only get a new tv if I was able to sell the 36" for $250. It took me about 3 days to sell it...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Just put it on craigslist. I recently sold 3 old crt tvs. $50 for a more recent (2003 or so) 32", and $40 apiece for a 27" and 32" from the mid 90s. Of course, that was a lot less than the tvs were purchased for, but I was glad to have gotten rid of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis