Axiom QS8? Any thoughts?

M

msugarpants

Audiophyte
Anyone have opinions about these speakers. They look great, but how do they sound. I have in ceilings currently (boston VRI..i think..), but may use these instead, or put them in another room. What about other similar affordable speakers that you can customize color with?
thanks
mike

R

Rik

Audioholic
for movies they are great. inspite of their design they also do a good job with music.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Good luck finding anything better at their price point. Very highly regarded as are many of the mid to high end Axiom products .

Great values:

S8s
M3
EP 500
M22ti
M60ti
M80ti

Last edited:
B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
QS8's Rock!

I have been using these as my surrounds for about a year now and they are excellent on both movies and music. I have them on stands just behind the couch, which itself is almost right up against the back wall, and they sound great in this less-than-idea setup. They're mated with Def Tech towers, center and subwoofer and they seem to blend really well. Surprisingly good with multichannel music too, something you wouldn't necesarrily expect from a 4-way radiator.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have not compared them to a mono-pole surround setup so I cant comment on the differences. But, I am really happy with their performance in my setup. Effects pan in a seamless manner that needs to be heard to be believed.

They shine when you feed them good material like Saving Private Ryan or Flight of the Phoenix.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have heard them on a couple of occasions and they are great at what they are suppose to do, diffuse sound.

The only negative I have with them is their relatively high -3db point. Even crossing them at 80hz will leave you with a bass hole in the surrounds.

Last edited:
M

msugarpants

Audiophyte
all the advice is great so far. As for bass, i have a nice velodyne sub that kicks butt. I am not sure what all that other stuff means regarding crossover and whatnot, since i am a newbie. My wife does not like things sticking out of the wall, it turns out. so i may look for an alternative. hopefully not, as i have heard good things about these.

N

naisphoo

Banned
msugarpants said:
all the advice is great so far. As for bass, i have a nice velodyne sub that kicks butt. I am not sure what all that other stuff means regarding crossover and whatnot, since i am a newbie. My wife does not like things sticking out of the wall, it turns out. so i may look for an alternative. hopefully not, as i have heard good things about these.
Those Qs8 are great and Axiom do have stands for them too if you don't want to mount them on the walls. And if you don't want Axiom's stands, then get them somewhere else. it's eays to do

T

talkingheade

Audiophyte
Question about mounting

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I'll start here..

I want to mount the QS8 on two support poles in my basement HT. Unfortunately they would be close to a soffitt that had to be built to cover the HVAC in the ceiling. Anyway, the top of the QS8 would be about 6 inches from the ceiling in this location. Will this hinder the top firing woofer any way??

Thanks for any advice

A

Ajax

Audioholic
pmbuko, gave you the correct answer over at the Axiom forum. 6 inches is plenty. The conventional wisdom says that as long as you have 3 inches of breathing room, or more, above the top driver or below the bottom driver, you'll be fine. Not to worry. :)

T

talkingheade

Audiophyte
Thanks Ajax for the reply. I posted in both of the Forums hoping to get some help and I did. Great to have helpful people willing to give advice. Thanks again.:)

J

jmone

Audioholic Intern
I'm very happy with my Axiom setup and in particular the QS8's. I find them terrific for both Movies and with the 7 chn str option on the Yami for standard CD's etc (note: I do not have any multi channel music sources).

I have recently used the test tones from the AVIA disk and you can clearly notice the difference between the direct radiating style of the M60's and the defused sound of the QS8's.

Nathan

A

Ajax

Audioholic
talkingheade said:
Thanks Ajax for the reply. I posted in both of the Forums hoping to get some help and I did. Great to have helpful people willing to give advice. Thanks again.:)
De nada. Glad to help. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis