Axiom Audio Epic Midi 400 Speakers Review

M

Mrdplobrat

Audioholic Intern
Question

Considering the above discussion, for a relatively small bedroom (aprox. 12 x 12 feet, 7-8 feet ceilings), would the epic midi 175 be sufficient (would be coupled with a Yammie V663, hd cable box, upconverting dvd player, ps3 and used 50 movies/30 music/20 games)? I have max. $1500 for speakers, and one important restriction: I live outside the US, I would get the speakers sent to a family member based in LA whom I'm visiting in december, and current checked baggage flight restrictions limit the weight I can carry with me back to Panama. So while I understand more bass is always welcome, it just isn't logistically possible.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I think this system would do very well in your room. There is one change I would make though. Consider going with another sub like the SVS pb10, you will get much more for your money.

M

Mrdplobrat

Audioholic Intern
I'd seriously consider this, except for one problem: the weight. The SVS Sub weighs a whopping 60 pounds! United Airlines won't let me carry overweight between dec. 1 and jan. 7. My travel dates fall precisely within this range. Max weight is 50 pounds per bag.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I'd seriously consider this, except for one problem: the weight. The SVS Sub weighs a whopping 60 pounds! United Airlines won't let me carry overweight between dec. 1 and jan. 7. My travel dates fall precisely within this range. Max weight is 50 pounds per bag.
Maybe a Hsu STF-2 LINK: "Shipping Weight" is 44lbs, cost is <$400 w/shipping. Seems like a better deal to me.

M

Mrdplobrat

Audioholic Intern
Oh it is undoubtedly good advice! But I am in general a problematic customer!! They won't accept my panama based cc to order... That sub actually looked amazing. I am going to try and contact them to see if there is a work around, but so far I am stuck. So i'd either have to buy the ep sub (175) or another one form a brick and mortar store such as best buy (they had the klipsch and mirage subs, which could be an option).

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Hmm... I wonder if something like a Dayton DIY kit sub would be the route to go? I know how dissapointing the 175 was with HT from the demo I did at Axiom. If you are going to spend $400+ on a sub, it should at least reach to the low 20Hz range at reasonable volumes.

M

Mrdplobrat

Audioholic Intern
I posted on the beginners forum about the most awesome development. By email, Ryan, helpful member of the HSU team, told me they would accept my international cc for the order, so HSU STF-2 just dominated the playing field.

New setup would be:

Yamaha RX-V663
Axiom M2 fronts
Axiom QS4 surrounds
Axiom VP150 center
HSU STF-2 subwoofer

Hooked to my 40" Sony XBR4 LCD
HD-DVR Cablebox
PS3
Samsung DVD-1080P7

Hope to hear comments on the system!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I posted on the beginners forum about the most awesome development. By email, Ryan, helpful member of the HSU team, told me they would accept my international cc for the order, so HSU STF-2 just dominated the playing field.

New setup would be:

Yamaha RX-V663
Axiom M2 fronts
Axiom QS4 surrounds
Axiom VP150 center
HSU STF-2 subwoofer

Hooked to my 40" Sony XBR4 LCD
HD-DVR Cablebox
PS3
Samsung DVD-1080P7

Hope to hear comments on the system!
I love the sound of Axiom speakers which are neutral and accurate sounding. How your M2's will sound will depend on the source material. Poorly recorded/compressed music will sound just like that, however listening to well recorded music is where these speaker truely shine.

The HSU STF-2 is an excellent sub to fill in the low end of the M2's which they desperately need. The STF-2 is a better sub than your original suggestion of the Axiom 175(good choice:)). This system should do very well in a 12 x 12 room for music, movies and videogames.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Excellent news! Don't forget to follow up and let us know how you like your system. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
well guys, you are the most trustworthy people in this business :D:D

keep up the "bloody good work" that you do guys............ :D:D:D:D

J

joabraun

Enthusiast
Pulled the trigger

FredK,
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting the HT/Music room setup. Now if Denon would just start shipping those 2309s or 2809s.
Fred, Clint:

I pulled the trigger and went with the Epic Midi 400 system with the M22s. It sounds great, I am happy!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
Exellent! Let us know how it sounds when you get it all set up.

The EP400 puts our a lot of bass for such a small box!!

M

Mrdplobrat

Audioholic Intern
Got the first part!!

Yes!! I just took delivery of the pair of M2s, pair of QS4s and VP150!!! Now all I need is my VTF-1 subwoofer to complete the setup!! Hopefuully I will be installing the axioms over the course of the week!

Can't wait to try them out!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in to give me some advice!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis