Axiom Algonquins a bad Choice?

S

sddt

Audioholic
Hello, I have owned a pair of these speakers for a few years now with less than gratifying results. I currently am running these off the zone 2 of a Onkyo TX SR805 and experience slight distortion when played at higher volumes.

My question is, are these speakers capable of pumping out some high decibel output given the proper amp or are they just not very good? I have already purchased an Emotiva UPA-2 which I will use to power these speakers and see if there is any difference in performance. In the event that this does not make a difference can anybody suggest an outdoor speaker that would put these Axioms to shame without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any advice!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Hello, I have owned a pair of these speakers for a few years now with less than gratifying results. I currently am running these off the zone 2 of a Onkyo TX SR805 and experience slight distortion when played at higher volumes.

My question is, are these speakers capable of pumping out some high decibel output given the proper amp or are they just not very good? I have already purchased an Emotiva UPA-2 which I will use to power these speakers and see if there is any difference in performance. In the event that this does not make a difference can anybody suggest an outdoor speaker that would put these Axioms to shame without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any advice!
You could be clipping the Onkyo which is causing the distortion? If it is the Emotiva should eliminate that. However, this speaker uses a very cheap crossover which does not help minimize the break-up modes of the aluminum cone driver. Adding more power and listening at higher volumes might just excite the cone break up further and make it more audible.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Any suggestions for speakers that could outperform these axioms? This is a summer vacation party house on the Colorado river so we need the decibels. I thought the axioms would cut it but after doing some research I am beginning to think otherwise.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It sounds like you really want it loud and be able to handle it, the JBL's would be better in that regard. To be honest I am not that familiar with outdoor speakers so I'm not sure what are the good ones. But for your situation I would probably look more toward professional audio manufacturers like the JBL's.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Thanks Bear. Anybody else care to chime in? Anybody with personal experience with the Axiom's?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is my review of the Axiom Algonquins. I have a pair of these in my work out room. Overall they produce good sound for background music and even moderately high listening levels, but when driven really hard the woofers audibly break up. This is mostly b/c the woofer itself has no crossover element on it so the driver breakup mode becomes audible when driven at loud levels as you can see in my review. Providing more power to them will only make this issue more audible.

the RBH MC-6AW are some of the best sounding outdoor speakers we've heard but they are about $100/pair higher cost than the Axioms (standard finish) and you only have two color choices with them. The RBH's are also better built with a more inert molded plastic cabinet and a sealed fully weatherproofed design.

If you want more bass you're gonna have to either add a powered sub or go with bigger speakers. You may want to look at pro audio solutions but most of them aren't weather proof designs.

Another option is to get a second pair of the Axioms and run them in 4 channel stereo. I setup 2 pairs of Rock Solids at both ends of the pool for a friends house and he was quite happy with the results. It gave him plenty of coverage around his deck and plenty of clean SPL.

Last edited:
S

sddt

Audioholic
Wow, thanks Gene! I did read your review of them here but was still left wondering how they would sound with a better amp. I think I now have my answer. My next question is, what do you think about a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Control-Indoor-Outdoor-Speaker/dp/B000YB48QC

Considerably more expensive, would I be satisfied?

I found those RBH speakers for $306 a pair here:
http://www.newaudiovideo.com/rbh-sound-mc6aw-black-pair-p-9190.html

My one concern is, are they too similar in spec to what I have that I would still be left wanting? Same size driver and all...thoughts?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis