L

lediiilex

Audiophyte
Hello all, I am looking for some advice on choosing a AVR to use as preamp, switcher and surround processor. I mainly use for music & videos but have wired for 5.1. I'm using B& W CM10's Front, B&W center and a Parasound HCA 1205A (5 channel) to power. The Parasound preamp from this era is bad and I don't have the budget for a separate processor. I have been looking at some used Marantz SR 7002 's. I've also seen some NR models and some Dennon units. Since I may not use the Amp portion, is there any quality difference in the SR & NR models? I think they both have preamp outs.
Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all, I am looking for some advice on choosing a AVR to use as preamp, switcher and surround processor. I mainly use for music & videos but have wired for 5.1. I'm using B& W CM10's Front, B&W center and a Parasound HCA 1205A (5 channel) to power. The Parasound preamp from this era is bad and I don't have the budget for a separate processor. I have been looking at some used Marantz SR 7002 's. I've also seen some NR models and some Dennon units. Since I may not use the Amp portion, is there any quality difference in the SR & NR models? I think they both have preamp outs.
Thanks
Those units are way too old and only HDMI 1.3.

This has been rapidly evolving technology and only now approaching maturity.

I would buy a much more recent receiver and preferably an AVP. The life of receivers becomes problematic after about to years or so, and that is another good reason not to get ones too old.

I would stick with an AVP. I think they are longer lived.

Here is a Marantz 7701 for sale on eBay. I have two of them. They are not in my main AV room, but in our 3.1 and 2.1 systems.

That unit would probably do you fine. I would put in an offer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also look for something newer. But just an fyi, the NR means “network receiver”. Meaning it has an Ethernet port on it. They have the the same sound quality as the SR’s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is the budget? I'd rather have newer HDMI version, too.

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
I just moved up to Marantz replacing a Yamaha RX-A1070 with the Cinema 50. I also say yes as others to Marantz now where as a year ago I would have been loyal ot Yamaha. Regardless I also agree, find something as new as possible with HDMI 2.0 or better. Googd luck. FYI I compared the Cinema 50 I bought to a Denon AVR-X4800H - a higher level unit than the Marantz (same company makes both like Ford and Lincoln). The Cinema 50 was a way better sounding (fuller and richer at same volume levels) unit IMHO in spite of having less power rating. That was a side-by-side compare on the same speakers and sound samples as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, if you’re planning on keeping this next AVR for the next 10 years, I would get the latest and brand new AVR you are willing to pay.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just moved up to Marantz replacing a Yamaha RX-A1070 with the Cinema 50. I also say yes as others to Marantz now where as a year ago I would have been loyal ot Yamaha. Regardless I also agree, find something as new as possible with HDMI 2.0 or better. Googd luck. FYI I compared the Cinema 50 I bought to a Denon AVR-X4800H - a higher level unit than the Marantz (same company makes both like Ford and Lincoln). The Cinema 50 was a way better sounding (fuller and richer at same volume levels) unit IMHO in spite of having less power rating. That was a side-by-side compare on the same speakers and sound samples as well.
Volume levels alone don't mean a lot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis