avr has to be turned off then on to produce sound

M

Mathias

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I have a problem with my stereo set up: when I power on my TV, AVR and power amp there is no audible volume coming from speakers. To get around this I have to power off and then power on my avr, a minor hassle that takes less than 6 seconds but annoying nevertheless.

Anyone got any ideas as to why?

(Tried search feature to see if this had been asked and solved previously -- I found nothing.)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Does the order you power them up make a difference?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Are you using HDMI connections?

Seems like a classic HDMI handshake problem. As post #2 says, you may need to change the power up sequence for your gear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Which AVR are you using? Definitely sounds like an HDMI handshake issue.

I have to do the exact same thing on my Denon AVRs - I have to turn on the TV first, then turn on my Denon AVRs last.

But I don't have to do this on my Yamaha CX-A5100.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I have a problem with my stereo set up: when I power on my TV, AVR and power amp there is no audible volume coming from speakers. To get around this I have to power off and then power on my avr, a minor hassle that takes less than 6 seconds but annoying nevertheless.

Anyone got any ideas as to why?

(Tried search feature to see if this had been asked and solved previously -- I found nothing.)
Turn your AVR on last and see what happens. Yes, your reported issue is nothing new.

M

Mathias

Enthusiast
Wow -- first, thanks to everyone who responded!

1) I have a Marantz NR1506 receiver.
2) I am using HDMI : ARC(TV) to ARC (RECEIVER) HDMI is known for having a weak "handshake"?
3) Ive always been understood that the preamp should be turned on before power amp and then everything in reverse order to shut down...
4)Nonetheless, I will try different a order of powering on to see if that has any effect

Thanks for the info folks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

2) I am using HDMI : ARC(TV) to ARC (RECEIVER) HDMI is known for having a weak "handshake"?
3) Ive always been understood that the preamp should be turned on before power amp and then everything in reverse order to shut down...
4)Nonetheless, I will try different a order of powering on to see if that has any effect

Generally you want the display first then work backwards to source. You might also try not using ARC, that can complicate things (if you need audio from the tv try an optical cord instead....pretty much same audio).

M

Mathias

Enthusiast
It seems that turning on the TV before the AVR does the trick, a simple solution.

Thanks to all.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
I'm having a similar type problem, I have a Denon X6400 for about a week now and my problem is, when I switch over to ota I only get audio through the arc for about 15 seconds at a time. It goes in and out every 15 seconds, video is beautiful but TV audio through the arc it seems not to be working and if possible I didn't want to use the optical cable but if I have to I will. Any suggestions gents.
By the way I upgraded from the Onkyo TX NR 3008 and I had no problems with The Arc it worked flawlessly I even changed the HDMI cables thinking maybe my cables were older I didn't remember if I changed from the 1.3 to 1.4 already.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm having a similar type problem, I have a Denon X6400 for about a week now and my problem is, when I switch over to ota I only get audio through the arc for about 15 seconds at a time. It goes in and out every 15 seconds, video is beautiful but TV audio through the arc it seems not to be working and if possible I didn't want to use the optical cable but if I have to I will. Any suggestions gents.
By the way I upgraded from the Onkyo TX NR 3008 and I had no problems with The Arc it worked flawlessly I even changed the HDMI cables thinking maybe my cables were older I didn't remember if I changed from the 1.3 to 1.4 already.
HDMI cables don't really follow the hardware designation, but you might make see if a high speed hdmi cable makes a difference. Optical works. Do you turn on the display first before avr and other gear?

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Yes in that order display amps and receiver last.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I just bought some Monoprice ultra slim high-speed 4k hdmi cables for when I get my new TV

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Right, but I just didn't want the extra cable in there. But I might not have a choice. So many options!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right, but I just didn't want the extra cable in there. But I might not have a choice. So many options!
LOL easier when you don't source anything audio from the tv (like me). At least they're really slender cables, can even wrap it around the hdmi cable....

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
So right about that, this is the first time I've actually seen one of these Ultra slims. They are really thin they're the size of optical cables. I guess I'm spoiled, I really never used the Ota for only when I bored an I want watch oldies TV. But it's there when I need it and I have so many different options to use Netflix and streaming my music either through the Oppo player or either the receiver itself and of course the TV so I guess I really don't need it, but it's good to have something that works when you need it to work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I'd get enough OTA stations where I live to make it worth trying. I have plenty of other video options to keep me occupied for sure :) . Too bad hdmi isn't what it should be.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
So many options so many different ways to use HDMI, I use PS3 for Netflix Hulu and WWE Network also Oppo player used CinemaNow and Vudu and also streaming music network server then you have the receiver itself God bless it! helos which I am new to which gives you Pandora and all your internet stations so I really don't need Arc for over-the-air Ota.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

3) That is correct for separates, it does not apply to avrs and integrated amps.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis