AVR Buyers Remorse...Maybe

A

Actran

Audioholic
I just clicked "confirm" to purchase a Denon 2312CI 7.2 receiver and it provided the obligatory "you may also like...." screen. On that screen was a Onkyo HT-RC360 7.2 receiver. My curiosity took over and i cliked it and found very similar features, yet half the price. What am I missing here?!?

I probably have until Monday to go begging for the opportunity to change my order. What say those more intellegent than I?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Onkyo offers a lot of features for the money, but their amplifier section is not as good as Denon and they are prone to overheating and breaking down. It is one of those 'bells and whistles' products that looks really good on paper, and for many people work very well, but at the end of the day, when you use it, if it breaks down on you, it isn't any good at all.

Kind of a gamble I always feel like with Onkyo, even though for those people who have them and they work well, they absolutely are thrilled with them.

A

Actran

Audioholic
I was thinking it had to be something under the cover like that. Thanks for the help and I'm going to stick with my Denon!!

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I was an Onkyo fanboy until recently, then I switched to Denon. Onkyo scared me away with the overheating issues they were having. Onk's do have some feature filled products priced really well but Denon may have the edge on build quality.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
Just backing up BMX, that is pretty much my take as well. Sorry, I'd bet that isn't what you would want to hear, but it isn't a Chevy/Ford thing. My son had pretty much that experience, and I have a cheap M-282 amp in the garage that failed under Crutchfields warranty, and needed to get replaced. (I also felt it was remarkably light for an amp of that class, but it is a cheap amp, admittedly.)

It may work for you. You're the only one who can gauge if the cost is worth it for the risk.

A

Actran

Audioholic
My demon 2312CI arrived today only to quickly douse my excitement when I couldn't get the menu to display on my TV. I have confirmed that the HDMI cable is good by connecting it to my TV and PS3. However when I plug it into the "monitor" HDMI port on the receiver and turn it on...nothing. The receiver front panel even shows that it's in setup, but nothing displays on the TV. I then tried powering the receiver off and back on then hitting "AMP" then "menu" on the remote, but still nothing.

What am I missing and what else could I try? I really hope I don't have to exercise my warranty fresh out of the box :(

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
My demon 2312CI arrived today only to quickly douse my excitement when I couldn't get the menu to display on my TV. I have confirmed that the HDMI cable is good by connecting it to my TV and PS3. However when I plug it into the "monitor" HDMI port on the receiver and turn it on...nothing. The receiver front panel even shows that it's in setup, but nothing displays on the TV. I then tried powering the receiver off and back on then hitting "AMP" then "menu" on the remote, but still nothing.

What am I missing and what else could I try? I really hope I don't have to exercise my warranty fresh out of the box :(
my last avr was a denon.2309CI, and if memory serves...to get the GUI to display on the screen you needed to ( or at least i needed to) run an s-video cable from the AVR to the TV...i think it was even in the manual.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think that the amplifier section in the lower end Onkyo's is definitely weaker than in lower end Denon etc receivers, but the trade off is more features. However, they all meet the two channel power ratings, but the dropoff for multi-channel ratings is usually much steeper. The higher up the line you go the more reliable and better the amp section is. I have a 3009 and couldn't be happier with it. I actually like how Marantz sounds better, but the extra features won me over, especially since Marantz continually refuses to put XT32 in their receivers and processors. Based on my experience so far, I'll stick with my Onk until Marantz puts just a few more features in their stuff.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I think the new Onkyos have improved the heat issues. I run my 818 for hours and it never gets hots. Much better than my older 605. But really after owning 3 Onkyo receivers i've never had much issues with them at all. The only reason i've ever felt the need to update a receiver is the newer features, like XT32.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Did you read the manual?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis