B

Bekker

Audiophyte
Hi folks

New member from New Zealand.

I won't bore you with the detail of why, but I'd like recommendations for a good AV receiver (probably from the 90's or 2000's) to use as a preamp (only).

I need at least a couple of digital inputs for DVD / CD and iTunes.

I'd also like two sub outs for my twin Velodyne subs (are two sub outs usually stereo or just a mono signal split, if it's the latter I don't really need 2).

I don't care if it doesn't have up to date features as it will only be used for 2 channel stereo. No video use either.

I appreciate many models may not be available here in NZ, so even if you can suggest the best brands, years etc that would be helpful.

I've been out of the hifi loop for a while so I'm out of touch with this stuff.

It will be running into a Rotel power amp.

Oh, and it needs to have tuner too:)

All suggestions / advice appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Rohan

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Simplify your life.

I don't care if it doesn't have up to date features as it will only be used for 2 channel stereo. No video use either.
I'd look to include stereo tuner/preamps, or even receivers with preamp outs, into the mix as well. I know NAD made a few and so did Adcom. I'm sure ther are more as well.

I need at least a couple of digital inputs for DVD / CD and iTunes.
DVD/CDplayers have built in DACS. If that's not sufficient, they have standalone dacs and, I believe, some have multiple inputs. I could be wrong here.

I'd also like two sub outs for my twin Velodyne subs (are two sub outs usually stereo or just a mono signal split, if it's the latter I don't really need 2).
Subs are mono but if you're only using stereo, you'll need to feed both channels to a sub. Your Velos have abustable crossovers/level controls so you could conect one per stereo chanel and still get the same results.

B

Bekker

Audiophyte
I'd look to include stereo tuner/preamps, or even receivers with preamp outs, into the mix as well. I know NAD made a few and so did Adcom. I'm sure ther are more as well.
A receiver with preouts is what I'm after. Looking for some suggestions.

DVD/CDplayers have built in DACS. If that's not sufficient, they have standalone dacs and, I believe, some have multiple inputs. I could be wrong here.
Most Dolby Digital receivers have built in DAC's and my assumption is that good receivers will have DAC's at least good enough for what I need them to do (iTunes via Apple TV).

Subs are mono but if you're only using stereo, you'll need to feed both channels to a sub. Your Velos have abustable crossovers/level controls so you could conect one per stereo chanel and still get the same results.
Some AV receivers have SubR and SubL preouts and as I'm using stereo subs I'm curious to find out if the outputs are actually taken for separate channels (true stereo) or simply a mono feed split. It would be useful as I have stand mount speakers which will be crossed over somewhere around 80 - 100 hz I'd imagine so ideally I would like to keep bass at the original channels, if you know what I mean. I guess that would still have an advantage of good output voltage to both subs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Bekker and Welcome to AH forums.

Yes, many many AHers use their AVR as Pre-Pro - only requirement from avr is obvious one - it must have pre-outs. Most low-end models lack this unfortunately since they would be potentially perfect for pre-pro

Recently Yamaha somewhat bend this rule by adding pre-outs on they A700 and A710 receivers which should not break the bank and should have all features you need.

Regarding dual subs - .2 is just a gimmick in most cases - just get cheap Y rca slitter

Last edited:
Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Hi Bekker and Welcome to AH forums.

Yes, many many AHers use their AVR as Pre-Pro - only requirement from avr is obvious one - it must have pre-outs. Most low-end models lack this unfortunately since they would be potentially perfect for pre-pro

Recently Yamaha somewhat bend this rule by adding pre-outs on they A700 and A710 receivers which should break a bank and should have all features you need.

Regarding dual subs - .2 is just a gimmick in most cases - just get cheap Y rca slitter

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Glad I am not the only one who's not drinking the .2 being better than just 2 subs inline koolaid.

B

bxboyjhs80

Audiophyte
avr w/pre/outs

When I first got into h/t I went w/ A Yamaha RX-V665 which is a few years old by now.It claimed 90wt pc but when pumped it I continually clipped it hence the pre/outs.I paired it w/an Adcom gfa555 200wpc amp and later a seperate Onkyo p-301 pre and never looked back.For movies the dock HDMI h/u and whatever else you what the 665 has it. Around the other forums they like the Onkyos and Pioneer Elites sc-37 and up..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis