mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
heehee

ours came out April 25 :D i watched it last night.

it's a great movie, yes, the best of the marvel superhero movies, but not "epic" like most of the early reviews seem to gush about.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What the?:mad: I wanna see it! Can't wait. Glad you liked it. Watched a documentary on Stan Lee today on Epic. They did a great job on it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
spoiler alert

seriously, the next one is going to ruin the experience

Don't

Iron Man died

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
The MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS Discussion Spot...

Okay. Went to see this on opening night, as most of the U.S. did (last night), and have some thoughts about what was headlined as “one of the most influential and anticipated motion pictures perhaps since Titanic.”

First of all, the entire beginning was way too rushed – there was no explanation tying up the loose ends regarding Loki and Thor from the end of Thor, making Loki’s “arrival” on Earth a head-scratcher save for coming through the blue source of power from their home world; the notion of how Loki got there, what happened after Anthony Hopkins’ character saved Thor from falling into the vacuum of space like Loki did in the Thor film and other elements were hinted at in a brief conversation between Thor and Loki in The Avengers, but the entire opening sequence felt way too rushed and exploitation-heavy, making it feel as though Mr. Joss was simply in a big hurry to get all these characters to the screen without any detailed backstory time.

The next big problem was Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner – BIG, major mistake here. Not only can this guy not act, his performance here as Banner was as atrocious as Mr. Joss’ take on the legendary Marvel scientist searching for a way out of his gamma radiation problems. Ruffalo basically sleepwalks through his role as Banner, and the transformation scenes before he becomes Hulk did not include any glowing eyes a la the famous Bixby performances in the TV show, or even the semi-better motion picture version which featured Edward Norton. The CGI Hulk, once complete and in action, looked fine enough (much better than the joke that was Ang Lee’s variant) but Ruffalo’s transformation sequences were ridiculous, with him looking toward the rest of the Avengers at one point after Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow character says “Doctor…I think it’s about time you got angry…” and saying back to her “That’s the problem, Agent Romanoff…I’m always angry…” while he suddenly transforms into the Hulk without really ripping out of any clothing. The entire “discovery of Banner” and hunting him down to get him into the Avengers fold was ridiculous and rushed too, really not touching on anything about Louis Leterrier’s Incredible Hulk or the ending he set up with Norton’s Banner in a rain forest somewhere. It was like Mr. Joss simply took new direction with most of these characters, ignoring some ties that came before that were ultimately hinting at an Avengers project. We are lead to believe Banner has been monitored the entire time by SHIELD, knowing his whereabouts – something “General Ross” and the government could never seem to do effectively – and is simply “called on” through a setup, where Black Widow (Johansson) is sent to “persuade” him to meet with Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) because of the global threat posed by Loki. The whole thing didn’t enthrall me, and is not the way I would have done it – if you are going to do a sweeping character study like The Avengers, you need to do it right, even if the film takes four hours to do it (not taking into account studio budgetary constraints).

Then, there were the “issues” with Thor – as Loki is being transported as a prisoner of SHIELD in a plane, the god of thunder suddenly lands on one of the wings from the sky above, there to take Loki in himself. But this is ridiculous – what happened to the end of Thor when Chris Hemsworth’s character was talking to the gatekeeper about Earth being lost to them? Thor seemed more interested in knowing what became of Natalie Portman’s character at the end of that film, and yet The Avengers sets up the arrival of Thor as merely flying out of the sky and landing on the wing of this SHIELD plane – but what happened in all the time before that on their home world? How did he find Loki so fast, after his brother was presumed killed or lost when he fell into the space vacuum at the end of the Thor film? Again, the whole thing felt rushed and not thorough – further, I had issues with Thor’s “strength” in The Avengers, or, seemingly, the lack thereof. The god of thunder basically has his rear end handed to him in not only the fight with Iron Man, but by Hulk (okay, that was acceptable) and some others throughout the film – not to say Thor doesn’t get his licks in, because he does (smashing Hulk with his hammer multiple times, kicking Stark’s tail a bit in their fight), but something seemed “different” about this Thor in The Avengers that made him seem less of a complete badass like in his own film.

As for Captain America? I thought he was one of the coolest in this film – his new costume devised by SHIELD looked great, Chris Evans was awesome in the role once again, and he kicked some rear end on his own, first in his hand to hand combat with Loki in Germany, and then as one of the Avengers against Loki’s assembled alien army. Also, the sequence when Thor tries to come down on his shield with his hammer and learns the painful way how powerful Cap’s shield really is, was really cool. I didn’t have any issues with Cap in this.

That leaves Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Stellan Skarsgard’s character – what was ultimately wrong with Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark/Iron Man performance in this? It seemed something was just “off” about his performance too, perhaps stemming from the lack of direction by Jon Favreau; I don’t know what it was, but Downey’s performance didn’t scream “Iron Man” like in his own films, and the whole Stark Tower in New York City thing again felt rushed and not explained enough. Suddenly, Stark has his own building in Manhattan (not that he couldn’t afford to build one fast) complete with a robotic suit up/suit off mechanism like in his California digs, and this just felt like a convenient setup by the filmmakers to tie in the culminating alien battle at the end which takes place in New York. There was a great deal of comedic banter between all the characters, of course again led by Downey’s sarcastic approach as the playboy billionaire, and that was refreshing, but there was something I just didn’t find awe-inspiring about the film as a whole, especially the beginning sequences.

CONTINUED BELOW...

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Agent Barton (Hawkeye) played by Jeremy Renner and Agent Romanoff (Black Widow) get a lot of screen time here, and that was refreshing – Hawkeye in particular gets to kick some rear as he confidently shoots our alien visitors with laser guided arrows, plucking them off one at a time. There’s a subplot regarding Loki and his “enslaving” of Hawkeye and Dr. Selvig (Skarsgard) early on, but their spell is later broken and Hawkeye joins up as an Avenger to take on Loki’s evil army towards the end.

Then, there was the whole problem regarding the science of the film’s plot – most of the screen time is spent exploring the ways in which Banner, Stark and Fury can get together and close the portal Loki has opened, allowing his alien race he has hired to destroy Earth to come through, but at times the science they’re dabbling in gets so thick and convoluted, it’s difficult to follow what they’re talking about or what’s going on. We understand Banner is a scientist that has experimented with gamma radiation – supposedly what Loki’s blue-hued weapon is emitting in areas – but it’s suggested here that he is also some expert in the technology Stark has been dabbling in; the whole thing got confusing and off-putting after awhile.

We do get to see, finally, Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) in some gun-toiling action, which was cool, and the final sequence that finds our heroes in a duel in downtown New York with the race Loki has brought to Earth was definitely worth waiting for. CGI Hulk, in particular, was entertaining and sometimes awe-inspiring as he jumps around New York City, destroying it but smashing every single alien being in his way – including that huge snake-like thing we see in the trailers. Very cool. Then there was also the moment Stark puts Captain America in charge of telling them what they should all do as the aliens attack in NYC, and Cap gives them their positions and says to Hulk, “And Hulk – SMASH!” while the big green beastie smiles. That was definitely cool. But that also lends the question about Banner’s ability to control his alter ego, as hinted at in the comics and previous films – Ruffalo’s first transformation in The Avengers indicates he has no control over the Hulk, as he becomes the green monster and goes after Johansson’s Black Widow, trying to kill her. Later on, when he transforms to join the team in fighting Loki and his army, it’s clear he can control the monster as he quickly transforms into him, reacting to Cap’s instructions of “SMASH!” and being able to tell exactly who the enemy is. This was a bit confusing to me.

Tom Hiddleston was fantastic again as Loki, and the humorous exchange between him and some characters brought added relief to the dialogue, such as when Stark calls him “Reindeer Games” in an early fight scene between him, Loki and Cap (in reference to Loki’s horns of his costume) plus the line every fan was waiting for when Loki confronts Stark and proclaims “I have an army…” and Stark spits out “We have a Hulk…” Fantastic and goose bump-inducing.

If you haven’t seen The Avengers yet, don’t leave before ALL the credits are done rolling – we have teasers for what appears to be yet another attempt at bringing these characters back together again (it seems another alien race has been called upon to destroy and enslave Earth, even after the defeated alien leader of the ones that came on Loki’s behalf warns of human strength) as well as what I feel was a pointless gathering of the heroes in a final comedic scene. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

There was also the issue of all the team members going their separate ways at the very end, which was again not tied up very well, and ends up feeling rushed to make the 2:45 running time; Stark is seen driving off with Banner in one of Banner’s exotic cars, while Thor is charged with taking Loki back to their home world for punishment (which again begs the problem…if Loki is the mischievous god of magic and can do anything to disguise himself, how is it he is allowing Thor to just “arrest” him? And where exactly do they go?) and Cap zooms off on a motorcycle (fitting)…but has Banner suddenly fallen off General Ross’ radar now, no longer a fugitive of the U.S. army? Where is the connection between all of the Marvel films up to this point and their conclusions that have teased the Avengers initiative? The whole timeline doesn’t make sense; remember at the end of Louis Leterrier’s Incredible Hulk, Stark (Downey) finds Ross (William Hurt) sitting in a bar and tells him they’re “putting a team together”? Well, where does that fit in within the Avengers story? At the end of some of the Marvel films, it’s as if characters like Stark don’t know about Nick Fury’s Avengers initiative, while some films hint at the fact that he does – like in the aforementioned Hulk picture. Why this inconsistency?

It was also nice to see the latest uncut international trailers of Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises before Avengers, promising to be one exciting summer at the theater, especially for comic fans. The fight sequences between Peter Parker and Lizard and Bruce Wayne and Bane look especially awesome. Of course, I’ll be buying Avengers on Blu, but I wasn’t really knocked out by it as I thought I would be. Of all the issues, though, Mark Ruffalo’s Banner was simply the worst decision made in the history of comic adaptation casting next to using Topher Grace as “Venom” in Spider-Man 3.

Let’s discuss Avengers!

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
merged with existing thread.

added spoiler tags for those who haven't seen the movie yet.
because unhidden spoilers will absolutely ruin the movie experience for those who haven't seen the movie yet.

put this before your post: [spoiler ] and this after [/spoiler ] without the spaces Pearl

Last edited:
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
You covered up the entire chunk of copy which didn't give anything away as far as I am concerned beyond what was already hinted to in every single trailer and teaser...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You covered up the entire chunk of copy which didn't give anything away as far as I am concerned beyond what was already hinted to in every single trailer and teaser...
didn't give anything away? you're kidding right? it's like a walkthrough of the movie giving away all the funny surprise bits.

you did. it was not a question nor a suggestion.

you put spoiler tags unless you are reviewing bluray discs or the movie has shown for at least a month.

and because of your above reply, i actually noticed your avatar again. i remember telling you years back not to use non-family friendly pics.

walk on egg shells.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
didn't give anything away? you're kidding right? it's like a walkthrough of the movie giving away all the funny surprise bits.

you did. it was not a question nor a suggestion.

you put spoiler tags unless you are reviewing bluray discs or the movie has shown for at least a month.

and because of your above reply, i actually noticed your avatar again. i remember telling you years back not to use non-family friendly pics.

walk on egg shells.
Apparently, you were not exposed to the international (full, non-edited) trailers and teasers for these films -- the joking bits were completely hinted at in many of them. Regardless, thank you for covering the entire piece of work that I spent awhile writing up.

As for walking on egg shells, please confer with Gene.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Avatar removed, per your family friendly request.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently, you were not exposed to the international (full, non-edited) trailers and teasers for these films -- the joking bits were completely hinted at in many of them. Regardless, thank you for covering the entire piece of work that I spent awhile writing up.

As for walking on egg shells, please confer with Gene.
you don't know what i am or am not exposed to.

again, it was not in doubt. i'm telling you.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
you don't know what i am or am not exposed to.

again, it was not in doubt. i'm telling you.
Mike, let's get something straight -- I have to respect your "rule" as a moderator here, but you're only "telling me" because you are a moderator.

The fact is, the UNCUT international trailers for this film featured much of the comedic banter I discuss in the piece -- especially the long-awaited "we have a Hulk" dialogue from Downey Jr.

That's fine, though; as I said, you're a mod, and I am not. You have the power because of that and can "tell" any member anything. I am completely aware of that.

At any rate, I thought Ruffalo's acting was atrocious in this, and it makes me wonder if the DC camp is going to repond with a "League of Justice" project, if they can get Superman right...:cool:

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Further -- let's confine these discussions in tearing each other apart to private from this point on, can we?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike, let's get something straight -- I have to respect your "rule" as a moderator here, but you're only "telling me" because you are a moderator.
yes, correct.

The fact is, the UNCUT international trailers for this film featured much of the comedic banter I discuss in the piece -- especially the long-awaited "we have a Hulk" dialogue from Downey Jr.
no, incorrect. you put out all the surprise bits from the movie, not shown on trailers, and as such should be spoiler tagged.

That's fine, though; as I said, you're a mod, and I am not. You have the power because of that and can "tell" any member anything. I am completely aware of that.
yes, please keep bringing that into this.

Further -- let's confine these discussions in tearing each other apart to private from this point on, can we?
i'm only replying to your posts. i do not wish to nor have anything to discuss with you in private.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
yes, correct.
Right. And my point is, you WOULDN'T be "telling me that" as a FACT if you WEREN'T a mod here.

no, incorrect. you put out all the surprise bits from the movie, not shown on trailers, and as such should be spoiler tagged.
No, that is incorrect. International trailers shown at pre-release Cannes events depicted much of the parts I discuss. Whether you want to believe me or not.

yes, please keep bringing that into this.
Okay; see my comment above as to why I am saying I am aware of your "power" here.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
i'm only replying to your posts. i do not wish to nor have anything to discuss with you in private.
Why? All I'm saying is that why derail the thread any further with our hatred for one another? It's better to do away from the public awareness, no?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

At any rate, I thought Ruffalo's acting was atrocious in this, and it makes me wonder if the DC camp is going to repond with a "League of Justice" project, if they can get Superman right...:cool:
Right. And my point is, you WOULDN'T be "telling me that" as a FACT if you WEREN'T a mod here.

No, that is incorrect. International trailers shown at pre-release Cannes events depicted much of the parts I discuss. Whether you want to believe me or not.

Okay; see my comment above as to why I am saying I am aware of your "power" here.

Audioholics Home Theater Forums - FAQ

i'll ban first, ask Gene questions later.

whatever his decision, it will be worth it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Alright..................so how bout them Avengers :D
That movie fu**in' rocked! Most fun I've had in a movie theatre since I was with Mary Jane Wassername in the back row when we were in high school! :D

(Gottta love that Hulk)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis