Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
This happens a lot.
Absolutely it happens a lot. A poet named bill shakespeare re-wrote Ovid 1500 years later and he's the one that got Romeo and Juliet famous. I guess Pyramus and Thisbe doesn't sound as good on the tongue.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I just saw this movie for a second time this afternoon, except this time I saw it in IMAX 3D. I enjoyed it more the second time around and I personally think the movie is much better in IMAX 3D. Don't get me wrong. It was really good in regular 3D, but it was really incredible in IMAX 3D.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I decided I will not see another 3D film (at least in auditorium 10) at Potomac Yards Theater in Alexandria. The screen was fine, but the sound didnt seem to have the dynamic range I expect from a great movie experience. The lows from explosions and things crashing were disappointing. Did anyone have a different experience? Was it my theater or the movie?
I think it was your theater. I had a much different experience today. The sound system at the IMAX theater here is really good. There were many times I could really feal the LFE. My whole body was vibrating and I felt completely immersed in the sound.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
This happens a lot. I just wish they would be honest when the steal a story or are inspired by one. Cameron borrowed or stole from Starship troopers with Aliens too, and to my knowledge he never admitted to it.
I'm a huge fan of the book Starship Troopers and the movie Aliens; and I have no problem with theft of ideas (Mark Twain said "great authors steal shamlessly"); but I'm having trouble guessing what you feel was drawn from ST to make Aliens.

It's interesting seeing people say "Cameron hasn't done good films since T2"... what? Neither of them? They guy has been abesent since Titanic, which you and I may not like but which someone obviously did (highest grossing film in history).

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I'm a huge fan of the book Starship Troopers and the movie Aliens; and I have no problem with theft of ideas (Mark Twain said "great authors steal shamlessly"); but I'm having trouble guessing what you feel was drawn from ST to make Aliens.

It's interesting seeing people say "Cameron hasn't done good films since T2"... what? Neither of them? They guy has been abesent since Titanic, which you and I may not like but which someone obviously did (highest grossing film in history).
Hmm lets see what he stole from ST. How about Bugs, colonial marines, person in a suit that makes them stronger fighting a bug. Is that enough for you? I am talking about the book and not the movie by the way. ST the movie did not resemble the book in any way. I love the Abyss, but don't even get me started on who he stole, borrowed or ripped off for that one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ahhh, Starship Troopers. The best movie rendition of Starcraft that I've seen. :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm lets see what he stole from ST. How about Bugs, colonial marines, person in a suit that makes them stronger fighting a bug. Is that enough for you? I am talking about the book and not the movie by the way. ST the movie did not resemble the book in any way. I love the Abyss, but don't even get me started on who he stole, borrowed or ripped off for that one.
"Bugs": The nature of the Aliens was determined in the original movie by Ridley Scott, not in the second by James Cameron. The bugs play a pretty minor role in Starship troopes, and honestly have no real similarities to the Aliens other than that they are "bugs" (there are no "worker" aliens, the aliens don't have lasers mounted on them (or any technology), the bugs don't reproduce like wasps, etc).

"Colonial Marines": don't exist in starship troopers. The main charaters are Army Mobile Infantry. I hardly think the fact that a millitary-themed sci-fi movie has millitary people in it makes it derivitive.

"Ape Suits": These don't exist in aliens. The only powered "suit" (unless you are picking on the heavy-weapons gimble) is the loader. I think it's a stretch to call this derivitive of ST when it's so prevelent in SF (you might as well say he stole it from Iron Man), and is the kind of thing actually being worked on.

I've not seen Avatar: so don't know how original-vs-derivitive it is; but I don't see that Aliens is a copy of ST at all. I wouldn't care if it was (I'm not trying to defend it as I don't see "copy" as bad), but I think you are stretching.

That said: If you'd like to continue this topic, let's open another thread.

Ahhh, Starship Troopers. The best movie rendition of Starcraft that I've seen. :)
It's about as similar to the book as "Troy" is to "The Illiad". Which is to say "some of the characters have the same names".

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
"Bugs": The nature of the Aliens was determined in the original movie by Ridley Scott, not in the second by James Cameron. The bugs play a pretty minor role in Starship troopes, and honestly have no real similarities to the Aliens other than that they are "bugs" (there are no "worker" aliens, the aliens don't have lasers mounted on them (or any technology), the bugs don't reproduce like wasps, etc).

"Colonial Marines": don't exist in starship troopers. The main charaters are Army Mobile Infantry. I hardly think the fact that a millitary-themed sci-fi movie has millitary people in it makes it derivitive.

"Ape Suits": These don't exist in aliens. The only powered "suit" (unless you are picking on the heavy-weapons gimble) is the loader. I think it's a stretch to call this derivitive of ST when it's so prevelent in SF (you might as well say he stole it from Iron Man), and is the kind of thing actually being worked on.

I've not seen Avatar: so don't know how original-vs-derivitive it is; but I don't see that Aliens is a copy of ST at all. I wouldn't care if it was (I'm not trying to defend it as I don't see "copy" as bad), but I think you are stretching.

That said: If you'd like to continue this topic, let's open another thread.

It's about as similar to the book as "Troy" is to "The Illiad". Which is to say "some of the characters have the same names".
Hmm yeah OK you convinced me he did not rip off the ideas:rolleyes: Whatever dude, you believe what you want.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's a new take on Return of the Jedi's, Battle of Endor sequence: "We just replaced all the Ewoks with giant smurfs." :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why can't we just enjoy the movie simply as a piece of entertainment and leave all critizism aside?:D

Does James Cameron have to SAY anything for us to enjoy this movie?

Everyone copies from someone else. If it's not from this decade, then it's from some other time.

Everyone agrees that the special effects of AVATAR is among the best if not THE best.

The sound effects were awesome too.

I'm sure many people do like the story and some people don't like the story.

Did James Cameron tell everyone that his story is the most unique and orignal story of all times?:D

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Why can't we just enjoy the movie simply as a piece of entertainment and leave all critizism aside?:D

Does James Cameron have to SAY anything for us to enjoy this movie?

Everyone copies from someone else. If it's not from this decade, then it's from some other time.

Everyone agrees that the special effects of AVATAR is among the best if not THE best.

The sound effects were awesome too.

I'm sure many people do like the story and some people don't like the story.

Did James Cameron tell everyone that his story is the most unique and orignal story of all times?:D
I'll go with your sentiment AND, say that when something arouses discussion and controversy, it generally means that it had more of an impact than, say, episode 13, season 16 of Law and Order, if anybody can remember that. I guess we will hear lots of comments before this dies down.

As for whether the story is derivative, mythologists claim that there are only about a half dozen stories in all of human literature but we continue to redecorate them with new characters, settings, cultures and times and then claim to have written a new story. Not only is there no shame in a new retelling, but it's pretty much inevitable. "The Invasion and The Messiah", if you want to call it that, is one of the most basic stories in human history.

Soundman

Soundman

This movie has cleared $300 million in the first 5 days worldwide. :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I don't care of someone borrows, steals, rips off, etc., an old idea really I don't. Cameron is certainly not the first and won't be the last. I have recently begun to despise being preached to in what is supposed to be entertainment though. Ridley Scott ripped off an old 50's movies with Alien(the name escapes me) and Lucas ripped off everyone with Star Wars. At least Lucas was honest on who he stole from. I only ask for a little credit on where you got your idea or inspiration and leave your POILITICS OUT OF THE MOVIE. Is that to much to ask?

Ticket sales don't impress me at all. Smokey and the Bandit made a lot of money for it's day and it was hardly great story telling, cinematography, acting, costume, etc; you name it.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I think Avatar is a very good movie. That said, I don't understand why so many people are so up in arms over its supposed anti-capitalist message. Sure it shows a people that are in harmony with their planet and shows corporate greed as wrong. So what? It's a movie. If James Cameron thinks he's going to change the world with this film, he's even more self-absorbed than people say he is.

The fact that our planet needs to be protected is something that is obvious to me and a movie isn't going to change my opinion, for or against. I think we need to stop trashing the Earth, but at the end of the day, Avatar is just a movie. I didn't have the irresistable need to go chain myself to a tree after watching it.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I didn't have the irresistable need to go chain myself to a tree after watching it.
Best laugh I had all week; thanks:D that's awesome:)

LOL:D did you get a tingle down your leg like crissy(I want obamas baby) mathews did? :)

Like I and many others have said elsewhere. I am just sick of being preached to in a movie by some stupid actor or director. That's all. Cameron is not the only one. And to be quite honest, I don't want to see slanted to my side either really. I just want a good movie. Leave the politics out of the movies.

Don't you think an anti-capitolist message in a movie that will make cameron millions is hypocritical to say the least?

Really though this aint new. We were watching "It's a Wonderful Life" last night and it has a bit of slant to it as well. Subtle but it is there. One of my all time favorites though. Amazing performance from Stewart.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I think Avatar is a very good movie. That said, I don't understand why so many people are so up in arms over its supposed anti-capitalist message. Sure it shows a people that are in harmony with their planet and shows corporate greed as wrong. So what? It's a movie. If James Cameron thinks he's going to change the world with this film, he's even more self-absorbed than people say he is.

The fact that our planet needs to be protected is something that is obvious to me and a movie isn't going to change my opinion, for or against. I think we need to stop trashing the Earth, but at the end of the day, Avatar is just a movie. I didn't have the irresistable need to go chain myself to a tree after watching it.
So, you're saying I should bring a little more than my usual small flask of rum to this movie? :D:cool::rolleyes:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I saw this on Sunday in 3D. Personally, I would skip it. Looked to be a decent drop in resolution, which is exactly what this movie requires using heavy amounts of CGI.

Store wise, it wasn't a shocker. I saw some parallels to other movies and stories, but I still thought it was an original movie. Eventually movies are going to overlap, get over it.

I found myself thoroughly enjoying the visuals and audio of this movie. Going to be a Badass subwoofer tester.

Recommended, in 2D.

SheepStar

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I just came back from the movie theater, we both liked the movie , a lot, great sound track the theater was really rocking with this one. It definitely keeps your attention throughout and actually leaves you wanting more, of just what I don't know, but I wanted more.
I don't look at my wife's ponytail the same way now, lol.
As for tree hugging,all I can say with the weather outside, now, all I saw was a lot of firewood, wasted.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis