V

Vracer111

Audioholic
Just finished seeing it in RealD 3D at a Cinemark. I have 4 words to say..."hangs with Star Trek". I actually like it better than Star Trek. The story and acting is pretty good (not bad by any means but not a pinnacle of story telling; though, if you think Avatar had bad/horrible acting then the Star Wars saga has to be really bad to you.) The 3D excels though; this is what I've always wanted 3D to look like (more or less!) There is some image ghosting in a few scenes, most noteably where Jake Sully first gets aquainted with his Avatar in the lab and lying on the gurney his feet are somewhat transparent, but that is the only imaging type flaw I really noticed. I absolutely love the 3D world in Avatar: it truely seems to be alive and it is gorgeous in 3D.

The sound was well done too, will need to get it on Blu-Ray to see if it can level up to Star Trek, but initial impression is it falls somewhere ahead of Transformers II but probably behind Star Trek. Lots of explosions and impressive shock wave concussions, but also lots of detail when a lot less mayhem is going on. I did notice some of the animal sounds seem like they were recycled Star Wars or Jurrasic Park creature sounds, the only fault there being I was thinking about them being Star Wars or Jurassic Park sounds because of that. Movie does not seem long at all; it seems to be just right in length - neither dragging on or rushing through its 162 minutes.

I will be seeing it in Real 3D IMAX and 2D to compare the differences....but tonight/this morning was totally worth the ticket price! Can't wait for the Blu-Ray to be released either!

4 out of 5 stars.... you can not miss seeing this one in 3D in the theaters!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I saw it and the visuals are nothing short of stunning. I didn't have the time to get to a 3D theater tonight so I saw it in 2D, but you can bet that I will be seeing it in 3D soon. The plot was mainly "Dances With Wolves" but there's no shame in that and the characters and plot are well developed. I recognized elements of Titanic and The Abyss and Aliens and much of the FX was done by veterans of the LOTR series. The design of the planet and the comprehensive reality of its inhabitants, plants and creatures is nothing short of an amazing expansion of a huge rain forest on LSD. If you like this sort of thing you need to see this film. I'm always skeptical about movies that are CGI festivals, but this movie delivers on the whole idea of creating a virtual reality.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I saw it in 3D late this afternoon. Absolutely fantastic movie.

B

Buckeye_Nut

I'll wait until it is released on BD, but it looks like a fun watch.

Lets set the stage:
Righteous environmentalist from outer space come to planet Earth to save her from the polluting human race.

Righteous destruction of the human race all in the name of the environmentalism.

sounds like fun!!!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Lets set the stage:
Righteous environmentalist from outer space come to planet Earth to save her from the polluting human race.

Righteous destruction of the human race all in the name of the environmentalism.

sounds like fun!!!
You must have heard about a different movie. That's Keanu Reeves in the Day the Earth Stood Still, or Knowing, that dreadful Nicolas Cage flick.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You must have heard about a different movie. That's Keanu Reeves in the Day the Earth Stood Still, or Knowing, that dreadful Nicolas Cage flick.
The first is about willfully doing the damage to the population. The latter is a natural event that is coming. Not quite the same.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
I only have 1 word for this movie, Beautiful. The story, the video quality, the sound quality, everything. I have never been so emotionally attached to a movie. It showed me a place that I wish I could be a part of, a world that is stunning and beautiful.

Anyways...I don't want to say much more, so I don't spoil it for others who have not seen it yet.

B

Buckeye_Nut

I look forward to the BD release......

:cool:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just finished seeing it in RealD 3D at a Cinemark. I have 4 words to say..."hangs with Star Trek". I actually like it better than Star Trek.

4 out of 5 stars.... you can not miss seeing this one in 3D in the theaters!
The wife and I saw this last night. We went to one theater, bought tickets and were waiting, then we discovered it wasn't in 3D!! So we got our money back and went to another theater that doesn't have the best sound, but at least they were showing it in 3D. I'd give the movie an A- to B+. I'd say it's definitely better than Star Trek.

We saw Up in 3D at the same theater and it was gimmicky at best. The glasses annoyed the hell out of me and it didn't really add to the experience. With Avatar, I ended up forgetting I was wearing glasses after a while. The 3D is VERY well done.

You definitely need to see this one in the theater, and you MUST see it in 3D.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

The wife and I saw this last night. We went to one theater, bought tickets and were waiting, then we discovered it wasn't in 3D!! So we got our money back and went to another theater that doesn't have the best sound, but at least they were showing it in 3D. I'd give the movie an A- to B+. I'd say it's definitely better than Star Trek.

We saw Up in 3D at the same theater and it was gimmicky at best. The glasses annoyed the hell out of me and it didn't really add to the experience. With Avatar, I ended up forgetting I was wearing glasses after a while. The 3D is VERY well done.

You definitely need to see this one in the theater, and you MUST see it in 3D.
I gotta see it in 3D. I saw it last night at a neighborhood place in 2D. The "Great Mid Atlantic Blizzard of '09" was about to crank up and I didn't want to be stuck, but the Landmark downtown has absolutely terrific projection and sound, and they're showing in 3D. There's so much detail in the imagery in this film that I think you need one viewing where you're overwhelmed and the second where you see more detail.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy

Lets set the stage:

sounds like fun!!!
Buckeye is right. It is an anti-war, anti-bush/cheny, anti-capitolist, environmental left wing piece of junk from a silly lefty named Cameron who has not done anything good since T2. I love 3D but I will NEVER see this one.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/12/11/review-avatar-super-mega-ultra-left-wing/

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Buckeye is right. It is an anti-war, anti-bush/cheny, anti-capitolist, environmental left wing piece of junk from a silly lefty named Cameron who has not done anything good since T2. I love 3D but I will NEVER see this one.

That's a pretty amazing screed from someone who hasn't even SEEN the movie and apparently doesn't even know what it's about. I guess it's about right that you get your information from a place called "Hot Air Archives". I think you need to get out of Chichester more often...the water must be bad there.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
That's a pretty amazing screed from someone who hasn't even SEEN the movie and apparently doesn't even know what it's about. I guess it's about right that you get your information from a place called "Hot Air Archives". I think you need to get out of Chichester more often...the water must be bad there.
You are making a lot of assumptions there. I know EXACTLY what this movie is about. Furthermore, one does not need to see a movie to know what the movie is about. I also do not take all information from just one source. I have confirmed what this movie is all about from many sources including several prominent newspapers and an interview with the director himself. Also, The director is not trying to hide his political overtones in this movie. If you knew anything about Jim Cameron at all, you would know what an anti-american elitist hypocrite he is. You also might want to find out a little more about Hotair.com before you go spouting off. You obviously have no clue what it is or who even started it. The rest of your post is just silly insults.

I am intrigued about the new technology in this movie, but I will wait until someone without an agenda decides to put it into a movie that I can enjoy. I am not going to be lectured for 3 hours about how evil man is destroying the wold and how bad they treat indigenous peoples, blah, blah, blah. All wrapped in a neat little package and touted as ground breaking and like nothing you have ever seen before. I will pass on Dances with Smurfs.

This is right out of Cameron's mouth!

"The second they see the movie, they’re going to say, ‘Oh, there’s a whole lot of other stuff we need to be talking about here.’ Stuff like imperialism. She-goddesses. The rape of nature."

For God's sake Jim shut up and direct.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I got to see this film last nite. From the get go I was blown away by how real it all looked. The audio and video special effects were spot on. In fact, it may be among the best I have seen and heard to date. The story-line was not bad either. In short, it is the best film I have seen this year! Hence, I do plan to go see it again in IMAX-3D in the very near future. ;):D;) It won't be soon enough as far as I am concerned. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this film and as such will give it a solid A rating-something I have never done.

Cheers,

Phil

F

Fenix

Audioholic
speakerman,

I agree with you 100%. In fact my wife and I plan to see it in Imax 3D as well very soon. After watching it I couldn't help but to think about it the rest of the day, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Our next trip to see it can't be soon enough either.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman,

I agree with you 100%. In fact my wife and I plan to see it in Imax 3D as well very soon. After watching it I couldn't help but to think about it the rest of the day, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Our next trip to see it can't be soon enough either.
You know that is interesting to say the least. One of my friends claimed she thought about the movie all night last night. The same is true for me. In fact, I have been thinking about it all day today. A smile comes across my face every time I think about it. That is saying something. As such, I hardly EVER go see a movie twice-this one is the EXCEPTION! :);):)

Cheers,

Phil

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

This is right out of Cameron's mouth!

"The second they see the movie, they’re going to say, ‘Oh, there’s a whole lot of other stuff we need to be talking about here.’ Stuff like imperialism. She-goddesses. The rape of nature."

For God's sake Jim shut up and direct.
Yes, we all know that Cameron's a prima donna, but it takes an obsessive, self important, type A person to sweat the infinite details that go into a project like this. As for the other stuff, what's so bad about having a discussion about destroying somebody else's world? Would you like it if I were to raise a private army, move in, bulldoze Chichester and kill half of its inhabitants? Would you fight back? As for the rape of nature...would you like it if we decided to burn all the trees in Chichester and dump our sewage in the local water supply and shoot whoever objects? That really is mainly what the movie is about...a foreign power taking over somebody else's turf and they fight back. As for Cameron being anti-capitalist, just what could possibly be more capitalistic than raising something on the order of 275 million on a gamble that might reap a big profit for investors? That's the heart and soul of capitalism as I see it.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan

Too bad you feel that way. You may think Cameron hasn't done anything good since T2, but just about EVERYONE else in the world would disagree with you. You seem to be forgetting about a little movie called Titanic. I'm not into chick-flicks, but I'll admit that Titanic was a very good movie. The fact that Titanic made the most money out of any movie in history would lead me to believe that most people agree. James Cameron hasn't made a bad movie, (Terminator, T2, Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic and now Avatar). The man is nothing less than a master storyteller.

Avatar is a very good movie and it's probably going to break Titanic's records. So I think it and Cameron will be just fine without you.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This movie was spectacular. The realism of the creatures and the main characters was outstanding. I definitely felt tense during many parts of the film, kept my complete attention.

Now if you please, keep your political agendas to yourselves. I know a few people around here like to just kick up stuff because they think they'll open someone's eyes to something or maybe it's just something you can't help. No matter what the reason may be, it is not worth ruining a discussion about a movie that I'm sure many will agree is excellent. People don't read these threads to find a political hot topic.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...! Hence, I do plan to go see it again in IMAX-3D in the very near future. ;):D;)...,

Phil
Was this also filmed in IMAX size film? Or, it will be just presented there as a regular 3D. Star Trek in IMAX that I saw had terrible video.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis