AV Receivers that doesn't need firmware upgrades

R

rana_gman

Audiophyte
Hello,
Are there any good AV Receivers that support both Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X without having to go through an anxious firmware upgrade?
Thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
Are there any good AV Receivers that support both Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X without having to go through an anxious firmware upgrade?
Thanks.
No- they're basically computers and in order to ensure they're up to date WRT what they need to do, they need to be updated.

One thing more people need to do is avoid using WiFi during an update. I have never had a problem with an update or when saving the configuration (something I recommend that ALL AVR owners do) because I make sure it's close to the router, move it closer or hard-wire it. That's as much as I can do- the rest is up to the internet provider and the AVR manufacturer's servers not being swamped.

If an update doesn't work, wait and do it later.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've never once updated firmware on my receivers. I normally get refurbs though so they already worked out the kinks. I don't feel comfortable buying a brand new receiver.

highfigh

highfigh

I've never once updated firmware on my receivers. I normally get refurbs though so they already worked out the kinks. I don't feel comfortable buying a brand new receiver.
Do you do Windows updates? At least AVRs aren't targets for hackers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Do you do Windows updates? At least AVRs aren't targets for hackers.
I don't typically update anything until I'm confident the update is an improvement. If it ain't broke don't fix it is a good philosophy for a lot of things. Updating is a risk too. I've actually had windows updates do bad things to my computer before.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't typically update anything until I'm confident the update is an improvement. If it ain't broke don't fix it is a good philosophy for a lot of things. Updating is a risk too. I've actually had windows updates do bad things to my computer before.
Windows is the hacker's pincushion, so it's always under attack. I agree that it can be best to wait for verification that an update will be a benefit, but sometimes, it's needed because one of the streaming providers is no longer affiliated with Denon (or the others) or maybe Apple changed their iPhone OS and now, it doesn't play well with others (has happened a few times). In this case, the AVR is the 3dr party device and without the updates, it may not work.

Regardless, something that operates in a network and uses someone else's protocols will need to be updated, at some point. DVD/BD players need updates, routers receive updates, cable boxes receive updates and in some cases, we don't have a choice. Even cars need updates at times and those have nothing to do with their cell/IP systems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis