AV receiver and multiple speaker zone

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Dear All

if you have AV receiver 7.1. can you add a sort of switch where you can add new zones to play music?

Thanks in advance
imad

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
It depends, but probably yes

Dear All

if you have AV receiver 7.1. can you add a sort of switch where you can add new zones to play music?

Thanks in advance
imad
Imad,

Welcome to the forum! :)

It depends on the AVR, but most will allow you to assign two of the AVR's seven amps to support a second zone (leaving 5 amps to support a 5.1 system in your primary zone). If you only need a second zone, then the AVR will handle it.

If you need more zones, keep reading:

To add more zones, you will need to add a speaker selector switch (ensure you get one with impedance matching protection). Keep in mind that all these additional zones will play the same program material (radio, CD, etc.) in a 2.0 stereo format.

There are many selector switches available, the one I have experience and am pleased with is:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-SS4-Multi-Speaker-Selector/dp/B00004Y3UX

In my case, the SS4 switch supplies stereo sound to a porch, a deck and a master bath.

I generally stay away from Monster products, but this particular item works well for a reasonable cost (although I think it cost less when I bought it about a year ago).

There are some other more expensive options, like a separate multi-channel amp. If you need further info, just pipe up.

Good Luck,
XEagleDriver

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Thank you, Really appreciate the prompt informative reply.
The AVR is HK 247
so in that case there is no point to buy a 3 or 4 zone AVR.

one last question: i am using the switcher for only 2 extra zones (back yard and dining room), do I need to add an amplifier

Thanks again
imad

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thank you, Really appreciate the prompt informative reply.
The AVR is HK 247

one last question: i am using the switcher for only 2 extra zones (back yard and dining room), do I need to add an amplifier

Thanks again
imad
The additional zones gives you the flexibility to play different sources in different zone.( needing external amps )

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
No need for a 3-Zone AVR or External Amp

Thank . . . The AVR is HK 247

Imad,

Not trying to discourage "an upgrade" or harm the recovering economy, but you do not need either a 3-Zone AVR or an external amplifier for what you describe above.

However, like Bandphan stated, if you see the need to play a movie in the main zone AND play a different source in the back-yard (i.e. AM/FM of the football game) AND play another different source in the dining room (i.e. music from a CD) all simultaneously, then you would need to buy a 3-zone AVR. :eek:

A 3-zone AVR would be expensive and not cost effective in your situation.

No, there is no need for an extra amplifier. From looking at the 247's manual online, the 247 supports a separate second zone by allowing the assignment of the Surround Back (SB) channels (L & R) to the 2nd zone.

The 247 also allows using the SB pre-amp outputs and an external amplifier, if desired. This may be a good idea, if you want/need more control on the individual volumes in backyard and dining room, as opposed to the AVR setting the same volume in both these zones.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Many thanks XEagledriver
everything is clear now

Regards
imad

J

JerryWest_44

Audiophyte
Dear All

Thanks in advance
imad
Some 7.1 receivers allow 3 zones such as Pioneer's elite SC-27 or SC-25. Note you only have 7 channels of amplification.

So if you want 7.1 in your main zone -- zone 2 & zone 3 would require amplifiers to power your speakers. As iterated above you can reassign 2 channels from the 7.1 making your main room 5.1, zone 2 speakers powered by the receiver and zone 3 powered through a separate amp.

There are a few Hi-End receivers that have 9, 10 or 11 channels of amplication.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis